Author Topic: New member in DFW area. Went from an FJR to the Concours.  (Read 1187 times)

Offline LeeV

New member in DFW area. Went from an FJR to the Concours.
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:01:08 AM »
Sold my FJR AE model and bought a 2008 Concours ABS model.  Got what I feel is a great deal on it but it had the broken windshield problem.
Really a clean bike with 20000 miles, Seargeant seat, Dekelvic slip on, bar riser and Cee Bailey windshield.  Other then that the bike is pretty stock as far as I know.  Looking forward to getting a tune in the near future.

I ended up taking off the bar risers for now.  Want to try without initially.

Gave $3500 for the bike but did have to fix the cracked bracket that supports the windshield.  I ended up making a bracket to take the place of the original out of 304 Stainless with a slot cut in it.  Then cut a couple pieces of teflon and backing plates to mount it.  Works perfectly as far as I'm concerned although I never experienced the original in working order.

Read a bunch on the site before buying the bike and really appreciate all of the content available.  Hopefully I can add some wisdom at some point.

Thanks,
Lee

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New member in DFW area. Went from an FJR to the Concours.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Did you take any pics of the windscreen repairs? We like pictures.

Offline LeeV

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
I haven't taken any pics yet, I've got to redesign one of the teflon parts and put a lock nut in there so I'll be taking it apart again and be sure to get some pics then.  I'll also try to pull some screen shots out of ProE.

Offline LeeV

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »
Some pics

Offline LeeV

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 06:58:43 PM »
Here are some screenshots of the mount from the 3d software.

The mount is made on three parts tig welded together.  I had to do three parts to get the same crown that the original mount has.  Works really well up to 70 so far, it's been raining here so I haven't had the opportunity to run it up faster.  I definitely feels solid at speed though.  I bought the bike broken so I don't know what the factory mount felt like.

Still need to tweek one of the teflon parts.  Would it be worth while to try to sell some of these?

Lee

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
Excellent indeed!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.