Author Topic: Autotrain  (Read 2407 times)

Offline S.Ga.Rider

Autotrain
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:58:53 AM »
I asked this a while back but our trip is getting closer and we are booking tickets for the autotrain tomorrow. Has anyone been on it and have any tips or ways to get discounts?
Our trip is leaving from South Georgia and going to orlando to catch the autotrain which takes us to just below Washington DC. From there were are going to get on the start of the Blueridge parkway and ride it all the way through. We are going to stop in Helen, Ga to ride a few North Ga roads before riding home. Any tips for the parkway? We are leaving the 2nd week of july.

not2old

Re: Autotrain
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Luray caverns, Linnville Falls, and the Biltmore estate were all interesting.  I was overwhelmed by the Biltmore estate.  If all of the super-rich built homes like that
and then left them for posterity, maybe I'd like them more.  I know there's lots more to see on the Parkway.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »
I know exactly where you're getting off the Autotrain.  I live not that far away.  I would skip the Skyline Drive portion of the Parkway.  The speed limit is low and it's heavily patrolled.  There's plenty of better ways to get to the top of the BRP.  If you want to avoid the highways to get west of the Lorton (autotrain drop-off) let me know. 

I also second Biltmore Estates.  Be sure and get some ice cream from the ice cream shop there.  I would also suggest Chimney Rock which is in the same area.  It's where the filmed portions of The Last of the Mohicans and it's just a downright cool place.  About 100 miles north of all that is Blowing Rock, NC.  There's a cool railroad there that you can ride and it's a nice quaint town.
I feel like a new person!

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
I know exactly where you're getting off the Autotrain.  I live not that far away.  I would skip the Skyline Drive portion of the Parkway.  The speed limit is low and it's heavily patrolled.  There's plenty of better ways to get to the top of the BRP.  If you want to avoid the highways to get west of the Lorton (autotrain drop-off) let me know. 

I also second Biltmore Estates.  Be sure and get some ice cream from the ice cream shop there.  I would also suggest Chimney Rock which is in the same area.  It's where the filmed portions of The Last of the Mohicans and it's just a downright cool place.  About 100 miles north of all that is Blowing Rock, NC.  There's a cool railroad there that you can ride and it's a nice quaint town.

Any tips or directions would be greatly appreciated. We booked our tickets yesterday.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:31:53 AM »
When you come out of the Autotrain facility you'll be on Lorton Road.  If you're in a huge hurry to get out west, I-95 is right up the road.  But I'm going to hazard a guess and say you won't be in a huge hurry.  There's a few different ways you could from here to cut out to Shenendoah area.  I'll throw out one off the top of my head.  Make a right onto Lorton Road.  Right after the exits for 95 is Silverbrook Road.  Make a right onto that and follow it up to Ox Road (Rt 123).  Make a right onto Ox and follow that for a little bit.  You'll see signs for the Fairfax County Parkway (Rt 7100).  Exit onto that heading north toward Herndon.  You'll only be on this for a little bit.  Take US-29 south toward Centreville.  This road may be a little congested for a litltle bit depending on what time it is.  You can stay on this and pick-up 211 in the Warrenton area.  This will run you through sections of Civil War Battefield area.  211 has some fun sections of curves in it.  If you decide to do this just beware of the police that patrol it.  It's a popular riding road so it's become a good place for the police to write tickets.  Your other option is to pick up Rt 55 in Gainesville.  This road picks up off of 29 from  the right.  This a great road for getting to Front Royal and getting on Skyline Drive.  It parallels I-66, but without the traffic.  If you wanted to skip Skyline and just head to the north head of the BRP I *believe* you can follow 11.  It's been a while since I've done this so you'd have to check a map to make sure.  11 parallels I-81 and is similar in a lot of ways to 55. 

If you want my number PM me and I'd be happy to give it to you.  That way if you run into trouble you have someone you can get a hold of.  I've done the entire BRP twice and it's beautiful ride.  I've always stopped in Blowing Rock which is about 100 miles north of Asheville.  I always seem to reach my limit about there.  There's a small white motel there that I've stayed at.  It's pretty nice and the owners are really nice (at leat they were eight years ago). 

Have a safe trip!

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
When you come out of the Autotrain facility you'll be on Lorton Road.  If you're in a huge hurry to get out west, I-95 is right up the road.  But I'm going to hazard a guess and say you won't be in a huge hurry.  There's a few different ways you could from here to cut out to Shenendoah area.  I'll throw out one off the top of my head.  Make a right onto Lorton Road.  Right after the exits for 95 is Silverbrook Road.  Make a right onto that and follow it up to Ox Road (Rt 123).  Make a right onto Ox and follow that for a little bit.  You'll see signs for the Fairfax County Parkway (Rt 7100).  Exit onto that heading north toward Herndon.  You'll only be on this for a little bit.  Take US-29 south toward Centreville.  This road may be a little congested for a litltle bit depending on what time it is.  You can stay on this and pick-up 211 in the Warrenton area.  This will run you through sections of Civil War Battefield area.  211 has some fun sections of curves in it.  If you decide to do this just beware of the police that patrol it.  It's a popular riding road so it's become a good place for the police to write tickets.  Your other option is to pick up Rt 55 in Gainesville.  This road picks up off of 29 from  the right.  This a great road for getting to Front Royal and getting on Skyline Drive.  It parallels I-66, but without the traffic.  If you wanted to skip Skyline and just head to the north head of the BRP I *believe* you can follow 11.  It's been a while since I've done this so you'd have to check a map to make sure.  11 parallels I-81 and is similar in a lot of ways to 55. 

If you want my number PM me and I'd be happy to give it to you.  That way if you run into trouble you have someone you can get a hold of.  I've done the entire BRP twice and it's beautiful ride.  I've always stopped in Blowing Rock which is about 100 miles north of Asheville.  I always seem to reach my limit about there.  There's a small white motel there that I've stayed at.  It's pretty nice and the owners are really nice (at leat they were eight years ago). 

Have a safe trip!

We didnt know how much time we needed. We get on the train monday at 2 and off  at 9:30am tuesday. We are looking to be home either saturday  or sunday and was planning 1 night in helen Ga.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
That should be plenty of time to take it easy on the ride.  I've done the entire BRP in two days.  It makes for two somewhat long days, but it's certainly doable without breaking any laws.  If you take my route, just know that the Fairfax County Parkway may have some traffic, but it shouldn't be that bad because by the time you get to it, it'll probably be around 10am and most of the rush hour is done.