Author Topic: Another sad story  (Read 4825 times)

gpineau

Re: Another sad story
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
Got the new head, new valve and valve guide and the keeper installation tool all at the same time today. Only thing missing is the tool I ordered to remove the valve guide.

I examined the head and I am thinking I will use my cams and cam followers.  All the exhaust followers and cam lobes are scratched . Not excessively but mine look better.  Alsol needs a good cleaning.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:39:17 AM by gpineau »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
Sounds like your making progress.
Do you have a photo of your head and the damaged piston and valve?

Check the rocker / cam follower / valve seat on yours to check it wasn't damaged by the "hit".

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »
That head looks pretty normal, cyl 4 was running a bit rich... but likely that carb setup wasn't spot on to start with.

I wouldn't sweat the scratching on the followers, or minor pitting on the cams, that is common, and really doesn't effect anything for a long time,

You didn't mention getting the guide reamer for when you take on the repair of the damaged head.. did you get one?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

gpineau

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
Sounds like your making progress.
Do you have a photo of your head and the damaged piston and valve?

Check the rocker / cam follower / valve seat on yours to check it wasn't damaged by the "hit".

Ride safe, Ted
I had a photo of the valve but now I cant find it. But it was bent pretty bad. There is damage near the seat but I think is just missed by a nano-inch

I think the reamer  is a 5.5mm I saw one on ebay but didnt get it yet. I still have  a fuel injector project that is in limbo until after I get my connie running again.  Now I have a replacement head the valve job is going to the back burner.

Photo of the head damage from the tiny piece of valve guide bouncing around. I am surprised there is not much sigh of scars on the piston. Most of it is on the head.

Photo of the bike when i bought it. It was literally in pieces. Lots of missing parts. It had dropped the same valve. I worked most of last winter putting it back together and getting it running again. I was looking forward to taking  it up to my place in the mountains. That's not going to happen for a while longer.
I have a lot of patience although frustrated about this setback, I know i will succeed in the end.

gpineau

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 03:44:05 PM »
Found a photo from the first time I replaced this valve. Looks too easy dont it?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 06:22:58 PM »
Found a photo from the first time I replaced this valve. Looks too easy dont it?

Omg.

I think I asked about it "looking strange next to the adjacent valve" and having that raise an alarm flag..

I need to save that picture, its priceless...

Best of luck....

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 08:37:45 PM »
Omg.

I think I asked about it "looking strange next to the adjacent valve" and having that raise an alarm flag..

I need to save that picture, its priceless...

Best of luck....

https://youtu.be/pYO2Hw8g7tc
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

gpineau

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 08:49:16 PM »
Got off work at 2 and had some time to start putting things back together.  Head is on, cams in, valves set, cover on, exhaust on, carbs almost....

When You have all the carbs buckled down but one and your feeling around under there and cant find front boot clamp....This is something you don't want to see.

I have infinite patience

Oh and I found the picture of the valve.

Still needs the radiator fan coils installed.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
Ohh Noooo!!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 05:34:01 AM »
When You have all the carbs buckled down but one and your feeling around under there and cant find front boot clamp

oops.

I have infinite patience

Unquestionably

Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

gpineau

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
Thought I was done. Took if for a test run. Idles rough. Revs and accelerates great. When I got back to the house because of the steep rise to the drive way I need to goose it to get up and into the garage. Got into the garage and the clutch wouldn't let go. It was working fine around the block but. No shutting it down.  Locked the breaks and the front tire was skidding across the garage floor.  I had to lay it down to get the back wheel off the ground.

Somehow the clutch line got an air bubble in it. No clutch at all. I had to bleed the line to return function. Don't know how that happened. Got ready for another test run and saw that carb #1 was spewing gasoline. So now I need to pull the carbs again to see whats going on with that.

This time I did not install the EGR valves on top of the valve covers. I just covered them with metal plates and plugged the hole in the aibox. I noticed this time that the engine had a lower noise than before. By lower I mean  a more bass tone that the high pitch rattle it had when I first got it. Could it be the blocked EGR valves lowered the noise an octave?

One thing after another. I really want to get this done so I can get back to my other project.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
Thought I was done. Took if for a test run. Idles rough. Revs and accelerates great. When I got back to the house because of the steep rise to the drive way I need to goose it to get up and into the garage. Got into the garage and the clutch wouldn't let go. It was working fine around the block but. No shutting it down.  Locked the breaks and the front tire was skidding across the garage floor.  I had to lay it down to get the back wheel off the ground.

Somehow the clutch line got an air bubble in it. No clutch at all. I had to bleed the line to return function. Don't know how that happened. Got ready for another test run and saw that carb #1 was spewing gasoline. So now I need to pull the carbs again to see whats going on with that.

This time I did not install the EGR valves on top of the valve covers. I just covered them with metal plates and plugged the hole in the aibox. I noticed this time that the engine had a lower noise than before. By lower I mean  a more bass tone that the high pitch rattle it had when I first got it. Could it be the blocked EGR valves lowered the noise an octave?

One thing after another. I really want to get this done so I can get back to my other project.

wow.
you are seriously having some bad luck here, slow down before you hurt yourself....
insure the systems all function, and take it slow. only make ONE change at a time... test, and go further.

the reed valves you removed, are not EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycling), they are called PAIR valves, totally different in form and function...
"The Pair Valve, or "Secondary Air System" is a pollution control "Passive Air Injection" device, designed to "wash out" the purposely rich exhaust of the new metric bikes in order to pass EPA restrictions for import in the United States and other countries with similar restrictions."
when you removed them, and added plates, you need to completely seal those plates... or even plug the holes below them, and then add plates and seal them.
this relates to your comments on poor idle, and also lower "base" engine tone, which is due to reversion effect, and exhaust gases that prior to removing the reeds, were being completely sealed by those reeds, but now free to migrate from the vestibule they once lived in..

when you did the removal, did you completely remove the other part of that system, from the top of the engine, and also plug the vacuum line that went to it ?, (and if it is a Cali bike, the other associated pollution devices, and associated hoses)?
those things change the way the bike runs, and idles, from prior running characteristics to current reliability and qualities.

as for the carb leaking after all this... likely cause was throwing the bike down on the ground... and causing the float in the bowl, to become wedged out of position... if it wasn't leaking prior to all that....

as for the clutch bubble failure, and throwing the bike down to get it "stopped", I'm sure it was a total panic move... because you were still turning the throttle, releasing the throttle with the brakes locked, would have allowed/forced the bike to stall out by itself..
become familiar with the "RUN / OFF" switch on the right hand switch pod... it would have shut it down immediately, and saved tossing it on it's side, complicating things.

I really do feel a bit sympathetic about your experiences, but slowing down, and focusing may save your life, and that of your project, or at least save some pain.

those of us here that try to provide verbal assistance, because we'eve been doing this stuff for decades, without major pains, always stress doing accurate single changes, focused, and specific, before moving to further changes.
Trying to multitask, and work on 2 completely different bikes, and 2 different sets of building, simultaneously, is technically way to demanding, and will always result in some of the things you are seeing now.
I've done this for decades, so has SISF, and a few others here, but one thing we all share, is a meticulous methodology, never being sidetracked, and focusing intently on single objectives...
so, I suggest you limit distractions, and focus on one thing at a time.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:20:49 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

gpineau

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
wow.
you are seriously having some bad luck here, slow down before you hurt yourself....
insure the systems all function, and take it slow. only make ONE change at a time... test, and go further.
What are you talking about?  I made no changes other than to swap out the head and seal up the pair valves when I put all back together.  What changes are you talking about exactly?
the reed valves you removed, are not EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycling), they are called PAIR valves, totally different in form and function...

I know what they are called and I know their function. I just thought to use EGR as a short hand.  Was it really important to inject an emissions lesson here?  Everyone knows what I was talking about.
It is responsible for lowered tone of the engine noise.  And yes I completely blocked the ports and sealed the metal plates.   It’s back to stock now and I see no difference in the way it runs other than popping when you revand let off the throttle..

as for the carb leaking after all this... likely cause was throwing the bike down on the ground... and causing the float in the bowl, to become wedged out of position... if it wasn't leaking prior to all that....
become familiar with the "RUN / OFF" switch on the right hand switch pod... it would have shut it down immediately, and saved tossing it on it's side, complicating things.
as for the clutch bubble failure, and throwing the bike down to get it "stopped", I'm sure it was a total panic move... because you were still turning the throttle, releasing the throttle with the brakes locked, would have allowed/forced the bike to stall out by itself..

Why are you always so critical and assume the worst? I had about a half second to react to an unexpected situation.  I did not throw or toss my bike down and I was not on the throttle. I goosed it to get it up the driveway and then let off. When I pulled in the clutch it did not slow down.  I leaned right and laid it on its side and slid around in the garage. At any rate it stopped me short of the back wall of the garage.

those of us here that try to provide verbal assistance, because we'eve been doing this stuff for decades, without major pains, always stress doing accurate single changes, focused, and specific, before moving to further changes.
Trying to multitask, and work on 2 completely different bikes, and 2 different sets of building, simultaneously, is technically way to demanding, and will always result in some of the things you are seeing now.
I've done this for decades, so has SISF, and a few others here, but one thing we all share, is a meticulous methodology, never being sidetracked, and focusing intently on single objectives...
so, I suggest you limit distractions, and focus on one thing at a time.

Provide verbal assistance? ???
Your last post provided no assistance what so ever. You have done nothing but lecture me and try demeaning me. 
I have only one task at the moment. That is to get my Connie running again. All other projects are on hold until that happens.  So your stated assumptions are incorrect.
You are always so quick to criticize and assume that others know nothing about motorcycles and we are amateurs blundering around the garage. I find that attitude arrogant and very offensive.

I have only been on this forum for a year but…I too have been doing the stuff for decades. I got my first Honda in a basket in 1966 at age 14. I have owned, rebuilt and fixed dozens of bikes since then.  I have resurrected more than 10 classics in the last 2 years.

I share my blunders along with my successes but usually I don’t get ridiculed for sharing my mistakes. 

In the future I would thank you to forego reading any of my post and making any comments on them.

For everyone else, this is a valuable lesson. Don’t cheap out. Use only factory recommended parts

Head replaced, fuel leak gone and clutch hydraulics bled. 

My Connie is well again and running great.  End of this story.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
Locking per the OP's request...

However, members need to know that if you post something it will be commented on, possibly laughed at, or made fun of.  It's what we do.  If you don't want that to happen, please don't post.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.