Author Topic: Top case came loose  (Read 1982 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Top case came loose
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:02:02 PM »
Got home from a 20 mile ride and tried to dismount.  Couldn't get my leg over, something blocking it. Wiggled around and finally got off to take a look.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Top case came loose
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »
Wow!  I don't see anything broken, though (at least not at the front).  Perhaps it wasn't fully latched down?  You are lucky it didn't go flying...

Might want to inspect/clean/lube the latching mechanism.  It might be gunked up and not engaging fully.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »
The second pic shows the only reason it did not go flying was the three 20 guage wires for my heads up braking device.

The problem was the mounting and latching points of the giving mounting plates were worn, creating too much free play. The aluminum was actually worn away. Free play was about 3 eighths  of an inch. I have replaced the plate and free play is less than 1/32.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:35:10 PM »
I should add that the worn givi plate had a lot of miles on it. Like 350,000.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »
That might not just be a GIVi issue. I have a Shad 50 and last year, I noticed stress cracks around the mounting holes. I replaced it and used wide washers, with the hope that they spread the pressure over a wider area.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 05:38:15 AM »
I should add that the worn givi plate had a lot of miles on it. Like 350,000.

That is a lot of miles and bumps and weight shifting on it.  Like you said, maybe it is just worn out now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:41:43 AM »
Lather, only you could have something like this happen.... :rotflmao:   Glad it didn't fall off.  You need to change your signature to:

Nothing worse than having your top case go missing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:38:22 AM »
Lather, only you could have something like this happen.... :rotflmao:   Glad it didn't fall off.  You need to change your signature to:

Nothing worse than having your top case go missing.
;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:48 PM »
Lather, only you could have something like this happen.... :rotflmao:   

I'm sure it's related to the socket drive extension previously found inside the tire....but since I never understood that either...I can only think of one
common denominator between the two strange occurrences... ;D ;D ;D

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 07:57:39 PM »
The Givi case coming loose is easily explained. The other phenomenon I really just don't like to think about.  :(

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 01:12:32 AM »
Well damn! Makes me very happy I spent the extra on a Phils rack!!! Glad you didn't lose the case at least!
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 09:19:47 AM »
Update. The rack has since come loose 2 more times. 1 after replacing the rack, again after a new pyramid. Obviously the tang or whatever its called onthe Givi is worn.  I have drilled matchimg holes through the plate and bottom of Givi case, with reinforcement plates. The Givi is now bolted on semi permanently with M8 bolts and lock washers.

Offline chap

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
I had my Top case almost come off a couple of years ago. like you, the wires saved it. It was the Kawasaki Plate in my case that broke. I should say I almost got run off the road in bad weather by a carless Harley driver. Had a bit of a rough ride, was lucky to hang onto the Bike. Good job the "conny" is a stable machine to ride.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)