Author Topic: Inline fuel filter  (Read 5256 times)

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
Inline fuel filter
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »
Any recommendations for what type of inline fuel filter? It is a tight fit in there. Also, where do you guys like to install yours? Close to petcock? etc.

Thanks

Deuce
98 Concours

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Inline fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:11 PM »
Many including I use the napa # 3006.

Install towards the back of the carbs where the right angle arm takes a dive downwards towards the fuel inlet.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »
Why? Is your stock inline filter broken in your gas tank? Adding a second inline filter wont filter out anything more and will just add more restrictions to the  flow of gas.  When you replace the OEM petcock  which is part of normal periodic maintenance you get a brand new filter attached (built in) Win Win.  You gotta do it anyway and you only need one filter. 
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
Mike, how often do you replace your OEM petcock?

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
Why? Is your stock inline filter broken in your gas tank? Adding a second inline filter wont filter out anything more and will just add more restrictions to the  flow of gas.  When you replace the OEM petcock  which is part of normal periodic maintenance you get a brand new filter attached (built in) Win Win.  You gotta do it anyway and you only need one filter.

Mike is probably right but the Napa 3006 filter is easy to install. Makes the 90 degree bend to the carbs easy. Plus I can see any crap in the filter when I pull the tank. Best part is it is Cheap! and makes me feel good!! :-)

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL3006
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »
Thanks guys! I did put in a new petcock. So Mike has put me at ease. 

Thanks!

Dave
98 Concours

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »
they last easily 4 to 5 years without an issue.  the trick is to get overflow tubes on your carbs and then you never ever have to worry.

There are issues with external add on filters- some have issues many dont.  One issue is the extra restriction.
The other is vapor lock (not to be confused with hydro lock) When the carb float needles are closed air can leak up past the seats and up the fuel line and will collect in the add on fuel filter. If you see air in that filter that is not a good thing. Too much air and it will completely cut off all fuel flow. That is what happened to me, over and over again. The OEM filter cannot collect air, it passes right by and up into the tank.

One other  thing to note: If you see crap in your filter that probably means your OEM filter is not doing its job and that would be the time to replace the OEM petcock because you will  get a new filter built in. The add on filter does not filter out any more than the first filter.

You only need one filter so just make  sure the one OEM  is working- you dont need any more than that.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:06:25 PM »
I use a 3006 and since it lays on it's side it is always half full and the rest is air!

There is some dirt in it so I think my main filter is broken. i think i will replace it once it starts leaking. Bike works fine. no air lock thus far.

but point well taken. really no need for 2 filters.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »
The base of the OEM petcock filter has been known to go kidney shaped allowing unfiltered fuel to the carbs.

I've run a NAPA 3006 or equivalent for over 10 years without issue. 
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 10:04:45 PM »
The base of the OEM petcock filter has been known to go kidney shaped allowing unfiltered fuel to the carbs.

I've run a NAPA 3006 or equivalent for over 10 years without issue.

Yup, same here. My old petcock was the same way so I continue to use the 3006 filter.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 05:26:31 PM »
I've done a few dyno pulls with the 3006, no issues including the A/F ratio. I also have pulled the vent thingies out of the gas cap and re-routed the overflow drain hose from the tank. The hose would create a vacuum in the tank with the right(wrong) crosswind blowing across the hose end and slow/stop the flow of fuel when the tank got low on fuel(<2 gals).
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)