Author Topic: Wax Your Fork Tubes  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Facewest

Wax Your Fork Tubes
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:11:12 AM »
I have been waxing my fork tubes for a few years.

In addition to my 2016 Concours I have a 2000 Kawasaki ZX-12r. My fork seals started leaking and the rebuilder told me to please start waxing my fork tubes as it will help the seals last a lot longer.

He also told me the plating on the fork tube will last longer too.

I use Eagle 1 Wax AS U Dry because it is a liquid and I don't have to worry about the messy wax paste from normal wax.

You can really feel the difference when you run your fingers along the tube.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Wax Your Fork Tubes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 05:13:23 AM »
I have never heard of doing this.  Sounds interesting.  I have been fighting leaks for at least the last year now and have to make sure the tubes are clean all the time (every ride).  This could be an interesting discussion!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 08:01:20 AM »
This does sound interesting.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
Interesting idea. Need more discussion.

I think the biggest thing your accomplishing with waxing, is cleaning your fork tubes.
But, the additional smoothness may be good for the fork action because of less stiction?
I assume the wax doesn't stay there very long with seal rub and the oil that gets on the tube? {after it moves thru the seal}

Ride safe, Ted

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 10:00:20 AM »
For decades I have used silicone lube inside the top dust seal after cleaning. Don’t know if it helps but makes me feel better.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 02:25:49 PM »
Interesting idea. Need more discussion.

Indeed.  I can't find much information about doing this (theory, pros, cons, what type of "wax", etc).

I think the biggest thing your accomplishing with waxing, is cleaning your fork tubes.
But, the additional smoothness may be good for the fork action because of less stiction?
I assume the wax doesn't stay there very long with seal rub and the oil that gets on the tube? {after it moves thru the seal}

It could help seal surface irregularities that will then help prevent dirt/dust/contaminates from sticking.  This would help to keep them clean or at least easier to remove contaminates when actually cleaning.  Or it might contaminate the seals.  I don't know.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
I read on the Internet that giving them a rub down with wax paper also helps.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 07:28:38 PM »
Might be a little rough. You could try rear end lube.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 02:09:03 PM »
Might be a little rough. You could try rear end lube.
Easy Pinkerbell!!! :o
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »
I've always waxed the fork tubes. Not because of concern for the seals but because it makes getting the bug guts off so much easier.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bmidd

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
I always wipe WD40 on the tubes with a finger after I get finished riding.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 07:34:50 PM »
Hopefully your finger, correct?

Offline Cuda

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 07:36:02 PM »
Was installing LED lights as replacement for parking lights and noticed pitting on tubes, this makes sense now, those pits could ruin a seal quick.   
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 02:23:23 AM »
After my recent fork rebuild (75k miles), there was no pitting but the chrome was worn where the tube slides through the bush, not where it slides through the seal. The seals were leaking as they were worn out, not notched or damaged, just worn.
I have since acquired a set of used ZX14(ABS) forks that are away being re-chromed and rebuilt with springs and valving set for my weight.
Once they are done I'll be fitting those as well as the used (3k miles) Ohlins KA109 shock and should have decent suspension. :-)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 05:25:13 AM »
[...]
Once they are done I'll be fitting those as well as the used (3k miles) Ohlins KA109 shock and should have decent suspension. :-)

But will you wax them?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 06:27:55 AM »
Wax sounds like a good idea but what recently started using after two leaks in two years are fork socks, so far so good after three years. They are designed mostly for off road bikes but they work on any fork.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 10:36:14 AM »
Wax sounds like a good idea but what recently started using after two leaks in two years are fork socks, so far so good after three years. They are designed mostly for off road bikes but they work on any fork.

Which fork socks are you running, and which size?

I thought about waxing my forks, but I looked, and they aren't hairy.  :finger_fing11:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »
LOL, idiot.

Offline PH14

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
LOL, idiot.

:finger_fing11:

Okay, seriously though, which ones do you have, and is there a size I have to choose? I looked quite a while back, but were unsure which ones to get.

Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 04:52:48 PM »
I also was wondering if putting some type of collapsible environmental barrier over the exposed tubes would be prudent or helpful.  One downside is that it would hide any leaking (at least for a while, until the fluid runs down to the other parts of the bike).