Author Topic: Concours 14 Passive FOB replacement from locksmith  (Read 20078 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Concours 14 Passive FOB replacement from locksmith
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »
I decided to give it a shot making a key for my 2018 C14.  I am a locksmith and have been for 37 years.  Stopped doing automotive stuff long ago, so I had to have the young guys help me out.

I read my passive fob with the key reader.  It told me to use a TPX5 glass chip.  We wrote the chip and it works exactly like my passive fob.  Then I ordered a JMA TPOOKAW-9.P1 key blank without transponder chip.  My bike uses a "B" key.  I cut the key from my existing passive fob and inserted the chip.

I now have a key that operates my bags and gas cap and will also start the bike with the stove knob.  It will not replace the stove knob as the bike's antenna isn't big enough to read the chip that far away.

I took a picture of all the bits and pieces.  If anyone wants to post it up, send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it to you.

So you can press the stove knob down and the bike can communicate with the key as you are sitting on the bike without using the rf backup?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »

So you can press the stove knob down and the bike can communicate with the key as you are sitting on the bike without using the rf backup?

No, read his post again.

I decided to give it a shot making a key for my 2018 C14.  I am a locksmith and have been for 37 years.  Stopped doing automotive stuff long ago, so I had to have the young guys help me out.

I read my passive fob with the key reader.  It told me to use a TPX5 glass chip.  We wrote the chip and it works exactly like my passive fob.  Then I ordered a JMA TPOOKAW-9.P1 key blank without transponder chip.  My bike uses a "B" key.  I cut the key from my existing passive fob and inserted the chip.

I now have a key that operates my bags and gas cap and will also start the bike with the stove knob.  It will not replace the stove knob as the bike's antenna isn't big enough to read the chip that far away.

I took a picture of all the bits and pieces.  If anyone wants to post it up, send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it to you.
He can use the key to open stuff, and he can use it to get the LCD to light up as he would a passive fob, he can't just leave it in the stove knob position and start the bike, he needs a second key to already be in the stove knob position. It doesn't act as an active FOB.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 03:12:57 PM »
I read that but i got terribly confused...which is easy for me to do these days.  So in other words, an active FOB replacement has not been accomplished.   This is yet another way to use the RFID with a key instead of the credit card or the real FOB.

If I still appear to be confused, let me know.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
to make it simple for you Jim, the effort that he did was fine, the part that needs to be mentioned, is... when doing a clone key chip/key cut, make 2 of them... that way if the stove knob is not there, one key is inserted into the switch, the other passive chip key is placed next to the 'sensor' port, press key down... bike starts... for all other "key" stuff, the extra key is nice... the chipped key reaally is only "used' for the chip function, when placed next to the port... and it MUST be placed there to sense it.. as it's not a "proximity" thing.

I do have a question about this TPX5 chip... the original stuff I dug up, related to the TPX3... which was the first ones successfully cloned...
Here's the pic.

it may be a carry over thru the chips new generations, but it may also require the latest JMA evo chip cloner to clone the TPX5.. food for thought.

I'm ordering some chips and keys now, to make sure... but I'm getting TPX3 chips.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Summit670

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
I love my standard, no fuss keys which can be duplicated for a few bucks.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
I used the TPX5 chip because that is what my programmer recommended. 

The way this works is, you put the passive chip in the EVO programmer and press read.  After a few seconds it tells you which chip it can clone it to.  It gave me a few choices and TPX5 was the first one suggested.

To be clear, in order to start the C14, you would have to hold the head of the key against the ignition antenna (just like the Kawasaki emergency fob).  Then press the stove knob so the C14 reads it.  When the C14 accepts the chip, turn the bike on as normal.

For my purposes, I did not do this to replace the stove knob/active fob system.  I actually LIKE the active fob!  When I go on a multi day ride my riding buddy and I swap spare keys JUST IN CASE something happens.

I also do not use the stove knob for anything other than the stove knob.  I have always carried a non-chip key in my pocket for operating the luggage and fuel tank.  (This may not be the way YOU like to do it, and anyone telling me they like to do it different is welcome to their opinion and not likely to change mine.)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »
I also do not use the stove knob for anything other than the stove knob.  I have always carried a non-chip key in my pocket for operating the luggage and fuel tank.  (This may not be the way YOU like to do it, and anyone telling me they like to do it different is welcome to their opinion and not likely to change mine.)

I never take the stove knob out and I had a spare key made to operate everything else.  I'm just wondering why you went through all this to duplicate something that's already there.   The FOB has the RFID as well as the credit card.  I guess it could be a backup if you lose the FOB and the credit card, though.  My FOB never sees the light of day and is attached to a chain (in my pocket) that is looped into my belt so it can't be lost. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »

I never take the stove knob out and I had a spare key made to operate everything else.  I'm just wondering why you went through all this to duplicate something that's already there.   The FOB has the RFID as well as the credit card.  I guess it could be a backup if you lose the FOB and the credit card, though.  My FOB never sees the light of day and is attached to a chain (in my pocket) that is looped into my belt so it can't be lost.

Like you, I rarely ever remove the knob and use a non-RFID (plain) brass key to open everything.  Also like you, I carry the active FOB on my person without ever touching it (in my case, in my zipped jacket pocket).  All he is doing is the same thing we are doing- carrying a spare key that he can use to unlock stuff, but it is also a passive RFID key that could be used to start the bike, in the case the FOB is somehow lost (although not sure how that would happen if it were just left "attached" to the person.

I leave my passive fob at home, unless I am on a long trip, in which case I might put that in my bag as an emergency backup.  If the price were cheap, it would be convenient to have what acts and looks like a normal key that is also a passive fob- the downside is that such a key (like he had made) has a large/thick head.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 07:18:46 AM »
I love my standard, no fuss keys which can be duplicated for a few bucks.

Which is great for the bags and gas cap, but that is it.  No modern vehicle (that I know of, at least for cars) actually use non-RFID [plain-old] keys anymore for when it comes to starting the engine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 07:34:13 AM »
To tell you how bad it is....went to a demo days at the Indian dealer some time back and got to ride a Scout.   Had to have someone tell me how to start it....they pointed to the key on the side.  All the other bikes are keyless.  All my vehicles are keyless.   Key, what's a key?

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
When I go on a longer than 1 day ride, I have the active fob in my pocket. My riding buddy has the passive key in his pocket, and I have a backup in the safe at home.

Perhaps a bit paranoid, but I won’t get stranded. Besides, keys like this cost me nothing. A perk of the job.  8)

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »
Which is great for the bags and gas cap, but that is it.  No modern vehicle (that I know of, at least for cars) actually use non-RFID [plain-old] keys anymore for when it comes to starting the engine.

Actually, many fleet vehicles are sold without chip keys. They do make it into the consumer market, but your are correct.

Chip keys were brought into the automotive world as a way to reduce auto theft AND keep you coming back to the dealer for keys.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »

Well, the simple answer is, I was a Boy Scout. 8)

Reality is, I don’t have a problem with the key head being large. I have it on a ring with the remote fob for my house alarm.

I don’t pay for keys. A perk of my job. I’m the service manager for the largest locksmith company in the province. I’ve worked there 37 years. I don’t get too many arguments about what I do. We also have sister companies in the alarm and alarm monitoring and access control business. I’m pretty well hooked up for this stuff.

Offline PH14

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2018, 09:30:11 AM »

Doesn't mean it is necessarily a good thing, or that I like them. I hate FOBs. I especially hate the KIPASS system, but I love the bike, so I own it. I would prefer a key.  A small RFID chip on a key, not so bad, but a FOB, I hate.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »
The locksmith found a fob from his supplier but it's out of stock and more are on the way.
I will call back in a week to get further up dates. Apparently this fob design has multiple applications?
For some reason gmail keeps flagging these post as spam even though I tell it not to?

BTW; The passive key I had made does not have a large head at all...Compared to some I have seen...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
Well, the simple answer is, I was a Boy Scout. 8)

Reality is, I don’t have a problem with the key head being large. I have it on a ring with the remote fob for my house alarm.

I don’t pay for keys. A perk of my job. I’m the service manager for the largest locksmith company in the province. I’ve worked there 37 years. I don’t get too many arguments about what I do. We also have sister companies in the alarm and alarm monitoring and access control business. I’m pretty well hooked up for this stuff.

I totally got what you were saying, and in my explanation for Jim, reiterated the scenario, I don't mind the size on the new chipped key either, and my statement about having 2, as one for the ignition, one to place against the "sensor bump" makes perfect sense.... to me at least... for an Instance of say, someone gooches your stove knob in a parking lot... you then have a 'spare key' for whatever...
my own choice, if I was going to have a spare "key" cut, would be to toss in a chip and clone it, as the cost for both is soo cheap, in reality... when I get my blanks and chips, I'll probably make 4 or 5, chipped cloned keylock keys... because it's like ...."why not?" in my thinking.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »
I hid my spare passive key on the bike and carry a spare 'flat' key in my wallet. Guess where I hid my spare passive thingy?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 04:24:28 PM »
I hid my spare passive key on the bike and carry a spare 'flat' key in my wallet. Guess where I hid my spare passive thingy?

Hmmm.... one of the panniers!

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

Hmmm.... one of the panniers!
No but I guess you could put it there, hidden under the seat.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
I totally got what you were saying, and in my explanation for Jim, reiterated the scenario, I don't mind the size on the new chipped key either, and my statement about having 2, as one for the ignition, one to place against the "sensor bump" makes perfect sense.... to me at least... for an Instance of say, someone gooches your stove knob in a parking lot... you then have a 'spare key' for whatever...
my own choice, if I was going to have a spare "key" cut, would be to toss in a chip and clone it, as the cost for both is soo cheap, in reality... when I get my blanks and chips, I'll probably make 4 or 5, chipped cloned keylock keys... because it's like ...."why not?" in my thinking.

The chip key that I have has a small hole in it that you can press a wire into and eject the chip.  If I needed to I could eject the chip, hold it in place and start the bike with the key.

I also have a comment to those that continue to spout their hatred of the fob.  Like it or not, it is here to stay.  I can appreciate that you hate it.  I do not.  Your continued comments on how much you hate it is just so much more noise in a thread where in my opinion it is not appropriate. 

If you have nothing to say that won't add to the conversation, why bother?