Author Topic: Continuing saga of my Cruise troubleshoot...  (Read 2074 times)

Offline kzz1king

Continuing saga of my Cruise troubleshoot...
« on: July 20, 2011, 12:06:43 PM »
I had been struggling to get my audiovox cruise working. It would usually work the first 5  miles and then keep kicking off. I tried different vacuum things, checked voltage at the brake switch  and so forth. I had been busy doing  the brakes, bearings, tires and such so did not get back to it for a while. Tried it again the other day while on a ride and it WORKED! That is until I tried to stop! Would not kick off with the brakes.

Checked my brake lights and I had none. Wire loose on front brake switch and the back one had turned in so far it wasnt coming on.Fixed those and now cruise STOPPED working. I took the rear brake switch apart and all seemed okay. Tested it and it works fine but if I have it adjusted correctly the cruise will not work. Adjust all the way dont so it cant engage and cruise works. Must be the switch but I don't see how.

LOng story short,cruise works with rear brake switch out of the loop.
By the way, absolutely love electric cruise. I get way lees nervous when I meet a patrolman now!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Continuing saga of my Cruise troubleshoot...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
Very very interesting.  Paging Mr. Bergman.  I presume that you have double checked all your connections. What method did you use to splice your wires together.  I can guarantee that those plastic crimp connectors they send are JUNK.  get rid off those.  They will cause you more grief  than you can imagine.
When you say your cruise stop working; are you loosing power or will it simply not engage?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »
Solder and shrink tape. The cruise works perfect now that I have taken the rear brake switch out of the equation.  When the rear switch is set correctly the cruise will work for about 5 files and then it starts to disengage by itself. Sometimes when I reengage it it will take,sometimes not. With the rear switch adjusted so the brake light won't come on the cruise works.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jayke

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
Why don't you just replace the rear brake switch? Sounds like that is the problem.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:57 AM »
Silly question but are you sure that you do not have any LED bulbs in the circuit?  Maybe on a trunk or something?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Positive!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1