Author Topic: Questions about Corbin seat  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Questions about Corbin seat
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »
I'm thinking seriously about a new seat, but a question or two if you don't mind.

Does the standard Corbin retain the standard C-10 seat height? If not, does it make it higher or lower? How much? Will they make the seat higher upon request? I'm 6'4" or so with a 35" inseam and can flatfoot the bike easily with the stocker. I wouldn't want the seat height to be any lower.
Thanks!
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline redzgrider

Re: Questions about Corbin seat
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
The standard Corbin is about an inch or so lower than stock, but it also moves the 'pocket' where your butt goes back about 2" or 3", which makes the leg room better, but also increases the reach to the bars.
Can't speak about custom work, as I bought mine off the shelf many a moon ago.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:16:08 AM »
I recently bought a Corbin (LUV IT) and it does move the pocket back thats for sure.  At 6'0 I now need to start looking into making adjustable hwy-pegs :o
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:42:56 AM »
I have a Rick Mater custom seat arriving at my house today.  You can have it made any way you want and the cost is not much more than a Corbin.  I've always loved corbins but I'm hoping this bad boy will be better.  Just another option to explore.   

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »
Thanks guys. I guess the answer is "lower" get something else. That's okay. I sent them an email inquiry last week and have not gotten a response. NOT what I'd like  to bet $450 on.

Is that Rick Mater? Rick Mayer? How long did it take to get your seat?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
There is Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, and Russell in the motorcycle seats. They all have web sites, of course. I have a Russell, it's at least an inch taller than stock, probably 2" taller than my Corbin (Hate It!).

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »
There is Rick Mayer, Bill Mayer, and Russell in the motorcycle seats. They all have web sites, of course. I have a Russell, it's at least an inch taller than stock, probably 2" taller than my Corbin (Hate It!).
I am 6'3" and love my Corbin.  Bought a Russell and then sold it. I did not like it.
Stick with Corbin.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
I'm beginning wonder if a 1" reduction is noticeable if the foam holds up. Daytona_Mike, what's your inseam? I can flatfoot easily and don't want to be any closer to the ground.

Since I've been thinking about this, it seems like the foam collapses right to the pan after about 30 minutes.

Thanks for the opinions.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:05:59 AM »
and here is another option.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:39:55 AM »
I'm beginning wonder if a 1" reduction is noticeable if the foam holds up. Daytona_Mike, what's your inseam? I can flatfoot easily and don't want to be any closer to the ground.

Since I've been thinking about this, it seems like the foam collapses right to the pan after about 30 minutes.

Thanks for the opinions.
Ron
I have a 34" inseam.  i Also have Murphs  drops pegs which  your gonna need anyway with those long legs.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=143
You are correct about the stock seat, I found it very painful  because I would sink right to the bottom of the pan and could not ride more than 20 minutes without  pain.  The Corbin is very hard but for some reason it works. Sort of like a John Deer tractor seat I guess.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:44:43 AM »
I have a 34" inseam.  i Also have Murphs  drops pegs which  your gonna need anyway with those long legs.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=143
You are correct about the stock seat, I found it very painful  because I would sink right to the bottom of the pan and could not ride more than 20 minutes without  pain.  The Corbin is very hard but for some reason it works. Sort of like a John Deer tractor seat I guess.
Yup it sure is strange.  I have been trying to figure out ways to make my stock seat softer.  I even sent it out to Spencers; it was better but still painful after an hour.  This Corbin I have now is the cats pajamas.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »
Yeah, been thinking about the peg lowering step as well. Might be a winter farkle. Got two kids going back to college next month. Does it change the cornering appreciably? Sometimes my #13's touch the toe if I'm leaned over and have my foot pointed down.

When I was a kid and had horses, I always found unpadded saddles better than padded seats for some reason. Once I got used to the smooth unpadded leather, it was comfortable.  I'll check  out the link, too.
Thanks.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 05:37:19 AM »
It's Rick Mayer. 

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

The seat took a couple weeks, but I have it back now, and it is TALL.   I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam, with Kneesavers installed already on my bike and this seat gained me at least another inch or two of legroom.  Now when I put my feet out on the highway pegs my legs are much more extended than they were before.  I haven't had a chance to test ride yet (just had our first child last week) but I hope to test ride it soon.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 06:02:48 AM »
Hey 'Congrats' on the new addition.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 06:54:28 AM »
Thanks a lot!  She's really something!

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
It's Rick Mayer. 

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

The seat took a couple weeks, but I have it back now, and it is TALL.   I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam, with Kneesavers installed already on my bike and this seat gained me at least another inch or two of legroom.  Now when I put my feet out on the highway pegs my legs are much more extended than they were before.  I haven't had a chance to test ride yet (just had our first child last week) but I hope to test ride it soon.

I like it! (All of it!) Congrats. Kids change things. Now you'll  have to consider what you REALLY think about things. ;)  I've got 3, but they are not little anymore. ( :(:)  )
2014 C-14 Red

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
Thanks a lot!!  It took me a long time to warm up to this kid thing (I'm 32) but now that we have her I'm really thankful we went through with it.  So far so good!

Anyway, back on topic, I've always been a huge fan of Corbins, had them on every bike I've owned.  My last bike, a HD Dyna SuperGlide, I had a heated Corbin on it.  Now that was a sweet seat there.   But I've always wanted to try a seat that was designed for me, not for the masses.  Not to mention, the Mayer seat was actually cheaper than a new Corbin, but you do have to send him your stock seat.  I bought another stocker so I could still ride while he had it as it does take awhile.   I'm anxious to try this bad boy out; worst case, I'm going back to work Saturday so that'll probably be my first chance to ride.