Author Topic: Looking for longer links to use with ZZR1200 shock  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Charliedog

Looking for longer links to use with ZZR1200 shock
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »
There may not be many/any alternatives, but I was wondering if anyone has found a set of suspensions links that were oem on another bike to use with a ZZR1200 shock on the C10 to restore stock ride height.

Next question: Does the ZZR1200 shock really only raise the rear end of the bike .5"?  It feels like more, the bike feels unstable when overtaking a semi on the interstate.

Finally:  Do those adjustable lowering links sold by Soupy require the removal of the centerstand?  TIA     
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Looking for longer links to use with ZZR1200 shock
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 07:51:14 AM »
Have you measured how much sag you get with the ZZR1200 shock?
How much do you weigh?  Do you carry a passenger and saddle bags filled?
The problem is not how high it raised the rear. It is  how much it drops when you get on. Lowering links might make it worse.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:56:13 AM »
The ZZR shock creates very little difference in ride height. Is this a shock that you just recently installed or did it come with the bike? Did the bike feel stable passing big trucks before installing the ZZR shock? Did you or have you compared the two shocks side by side? Do you by chance still have the stock black boot scoops installed? What shield do you run?

I ask all these questions as I've seen many an issue from every one except for the ZZR shock as it was one of the best upgrades I made for the least amount of money except for removing the boot scoops as I found that they really caused me issue with dirty truck air.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
OK, FWIW, I installed the ZZR 1200 shock when the bike had Pilot GT's in GW sizes on it a few years ago, and did not notice any instability.  Unfortunately those tires were discontinued, so I went to Avon's-110/80 and 150/80-Storm 2, Venom X.  I don't recall noticing any problems with those tires.  When they wore out, I replaced them with Storm 2, Azarro ST in the same sizes. 

I did go to a GIVI windshield at about the same time-more upright, with the flip at the top only vertical-not past vertical like the stock shield is.  I have since gone back to a stock windshield that I got used-the PO had drilled three 1 1/2" holes at the bottom I presume to reduce back pressure.  I also have the Euro style fairing extenders on the bike and have for years.  I weigh about 200# geared up and the bags and GIVI top box are packed full when I travel.  (I tend to take a two-week, 5000 mile ride every spring and then ride the bike seldom the rest of the year-I have other bikes for local riding.)

If there is a way to measure sag w/o the help of another individual I would be on it.  All I can say is the bike is much easier to get on the center stand with the ZZR shock, and there is just a little daylight under the rear tire with the bike on the center stand.  I would suspect the ZZR shock raises the rear of the bike more than one might think.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  What preload setting would you recommend?  TIA 
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »
I weigh 226lbs.  The spring on the ZZR shock is too soft for the C10's unitrac geometry. Another words the sag under FULL preload for me is 45mm which is too much.
Set your preload to the max in. Anything less and your sag will be more than 45mm. I had to raise my forks in my tubes (lower the front) just a little to make up the difference due to the soft rear spring.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:18:19 PM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline ZedSledSMC

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »
Hello all! Im new to the forum but I need some expertise on something. Or anything really. I cant find the correct info so far. I bought this 04 zzr1200 and I am attempting to add a center stand. I believe it may have aftermarket links on it. Has anyone seen this setup and can they work together? Or do I need factory links that fit different so the center stand will not hit? Its got me a bit confused! Thanks in advance

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »
Without question the links in those pictures are not factory....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Stasch

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
Hello all! Im new to the forum but I need some expertise on something. Or anything really. I cant find the correct info so far. I bought this 04 zzr1200 and I am attempting to add a center stand. I believe it may have aftermarket links on it. Has anyone seen this setup and can they work together? Or do I need factory links that fit different so the center stand will not hit? Its got me a bit confused! Thanks in advance

Those look like Soupy's adjustable links.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1