Author Topic: iPhone question  (Read 837 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
iPhone question
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:36:44 PM »
I know some of you folks are pretty savvy regarding Apple products, especially iPhones so I thought I would ask here: is there any way to save ALL the photos buried in an endless set of text message strings all in one shot? I know I can go to a text thread and choose individual photos buried w/in but I have let this go far too long and there are gazillions of photos I do not want to lose and of course it will take a forever- and- a- half to pick out each and every one.

I have also seen some hardware for sale that plugs into the phone and it seems that it would perform this function- is anything like that available that actually works?

I am looking to swap off phones and of course do not want to lose the photos. And of course the phone is full and out of memory :-(   Told you I really did let it get out of hand. And I am not really interested in increasing 'Cloud' storage- it is inexpensive enough but really, that will just compound the problem because I cannot find photos easily already and running my storage up by orders of magnitude is not going to ease that situation either.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: iPhone question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:24:51 AM »
Same issue with Android type phones as far as I know.  My wife was extremely irate when we changed phones and the pics in the texts weren't saved.  I think that very few of us take the time to save those pics at time of viewing.  I know I don't.  I've been perusing apps to try to find one that seems to work but the one talked about the most is not readily available anymore....save MMS I think.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:54:45 AM »
Don't texts, and photos in those texts, get saved to the cloud during the backup process? I recently upgraded my ancient iPhone 5s to an XR and after the changeover process all the pics in my texts were intact.

I did backup my 5s to the cloud in prep for the upgrade but turns out that I didn't need to do that. During the changeover the XR gave me instructions to place my old phone next to the new phone and it would transfer everything that way via bluetooth, and it did.   

I talked Verizon into a great deal. Got two 128gb iPhone XRs for $450.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:35:47 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:41:18 AM »
One of the benefits of Amazon Prime is Amazon Photos.  I have my Android configured to upload all photos from my phone (yes, it does the ones in text messages as well) when I am connected to WiFi.  I can leave them there or download them to a local hard drive.  It seems to work well.

I assume there is a similar workflow for iPhone, but you'll have to check into that yourself if this looks like a solution for you.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »
One of the benefits of Amazon Prime is Amazon Photos.  I have my Android configured to upload all photos from my phone (yes, it does the ones in text messages as well) when I am connected to WiFi.  I can leave them there or download them to a local hard drive.  It seems to work well.

I assume there is a similar workflow for iPhone, but you'll have to check into that yourself if this looks like a solution for you.

Hmmmm
Totally off topic here, but how can someone be registered here for over 5 years on a motorcycle forum and make their first post about an iPhone? (Amazon Prime really) ...and have their post count at zero even though they've made at least one post? I'm not being critical, hell you could be registered here for 9 years and not make any posts at all, fine with me. I'm just curious...since your post count shows zero after at least one post, perhaps you've been posting all along and the system isn't recording what you've done here?

Apologies for the off topic query.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
Well, he could be Entish.  Takes awhile for them as they are in deep thought all the time.

WG, I'm going to check my Prime photo account and see if mine are being saved...

Some are and some aren't being saved.  Not sure if I might have saved them from the text conversation previously though.

Did find out that Samsung Cloud should back up those texts with MMS attachments..  Seems I have a 15Gb stg limit but as I'm not backing up music or photos with that I should be ok.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:31:31 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 03:49:06 PM »
Same issue with Android type phones as far as I know.  My wife was extremely irate when we changed phones and the pics in the texts weren't saved.

Mine were.  I simply saved them off using an app, then imported them into my new phone.  Took only a few minutes.  I used it the last two phones.  Restored all messages and photos in the messages.  Didn't use it for any other purpose and uninstalled after restoring.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc