Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133972 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »
I think it would be wise to do so...

I agree.  I am pretty sure I did when I removed mine to send to Ghul.  Better safe than sorry- the ECU is expensive!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »
I haven't pulled the battery, nobody yet has pulled the battery, no issues. Steve

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
I personally don't muck around with electronics on a vehicle/bike without disconnecting the battery.  Considering the cost of an ECU, it's cheap insurance.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
I was at the dealership today to price out a Kawasaki Touring seat. While I was there I asked the sevice manager about their position if a customer "hypothetically" had an ecu flash done to his/her bike as far as warranty. He gave me a wink and said that they don't check for that, and that if he figured it could become a warranty sticky point with Kawasaki; a stock flash could be put back in. I am just waiting for Steve's dyno results with the Area P slip on and I think I will pull the trigger. (In January after all the Christmas parcels have cleared the system.) :chugbeer:
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline bob h

« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »
In designing the ECU, it should have been very easy to protect the internal circuitry from trannsients on the leads. ;D

I'm guessing they did.  :thumbs:

(But just remember, this is the same organization that brought us the C10 junction box!) :loco: :rotflmao:

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »
I personally don't muck around with electronics on a vehicle/bike without disconnecting the battery.  Considering the cost of an ECU, it's cheap insurance.

That's like completely removing your pants to take a leak  :rotflmao:...probably the "safest" way to do it but we don't :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 09:53:57 AM »
That's like completely removing your pants to take a leak  :rotflmao:...probably the "safest" way to do it but we don't :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

If the pants cost $700 and would be completely unusable with just a drop of urine on them and I only had to take a leak once in 5 years, yes I'd completely remove the pants before taking a leak.  ;)

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »
If the pants cost $700 and would be completely unusable with just a drop of urine on them and I only had to take a leak once in 5 years, yes I'd completely remove the pants before taking a leak.  ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »
If the pants cost $700.......

Perhaps this could be discussed more.....(The lost ECU potential costs, not the wet pants.)

How much are you folks insuring your ECU for when you send it off?  Are you using those special anti-static discharge bags or just packing peanuts?

So lets pretend that the ECU is lost in shipment on the way to Steve. To recover, you'd need to get a matched pair of ECU and KIPASS boxes...right? ....or just an ECU?  Then the dealer would have to get all the additional on hand passive FOBs programmed and the TPMS sensors would need to be accessed (tires opened up to get the numbers for registration if you haven't got them on record) If we are talking new discounted prices and reasonable dealer service charges it's at least $900.00 right? (Ron Ayers wants $888.35 just for the ECU) Then if it was lost on the return from Steve it would be around a $1200 loss.

Are my number$ right?

I think I insured mine for $900.00 when I sent it to Guhl, but I have no idea how much insurance they purchased for the return trip.

Chances are extremely slim for a loss with all the bar coding and scanners, but accidents happen.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
Perhaps this could be discussed more.....(The lost ECU potential costs, not the wet pants.)

How much are you folks insuring your ECU for when you send it off?  Are you using those special anti-static discharge bags or just packing peanuts?

So lets pretend that the ECU is lost in shipment on the way to Steve. To recover, you'd need to get a matched pair of ECU and KIPASS boxes...right? ....or just an ECU?  Then the dealer would have to get all the additional on hand passive FOBs programmed and the TPMS sensors would need to be accessed (tires opened up to get the numbers for registration if you haven't got them on record) If we are talking new discounted prices and reasonable dealer service charges it's at least $900.00 right? (Ron Ayers wants $888.35 just for the ECU) Then if it was lost on the return from Steve it would be around a $1200 loss.

Are my number$ right?

I think I insured mine for $900.00 when I sent it to Guhl, but I have no idea how much insurance they purchased for the return trip.

Chances are extremely slim for a loss with all the bar coding and scanners, but accidents happen.

I want to say I insured mine for $1200.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Perhaps this could be discussed more.....(The lost ECU potential costs, not the wet pants.) [...]

All very good points

How much are you folks insuring your ECU for when you send it off?  [...]I think I insured mine for $900.00 when I sent it to Guhl, but I have no idea how much insurance they purchased for the return trip.

When I sent it to Guhl, I think I picked $1000.  But that might not be enough... and, like you, I have no idea what it was insured for on the way back.  Some merchants don't bother with insurance because due to volume and high insurance pricing, it is cheaper for them to self-insure.  But hard to believe that model would work with this type of thing (low volume, high replacement cost).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »
I suggest 1200.00 insured coming in, and I insure for 1200.00 going out.

Trust me, there's a significant way to mitigate the cost. if your ecu is lost, buy one from ebay, bring it to the dealer to be ID's with KDS, and you're golden. You'll have hundreds in your pocket. And yes, this system works, we have 2 bikes here with 2 ECU's that work on them, and I will pick up cheap ECU's here or there to have on hand just in case of a loss. Steve

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
I suggest 1200.00 insured coming in, and I insure for 1200.00 going out.

Trust me, there's a significant way to mitigate the cost. if your ecu is lost, buy one from ebay, bring it to the dealer to be ID's with KDS, and you're golden. You'll have hundreds in your pocket. And yes, this system works, we have 2 bikes here with 2 ECU's that work on them, and I will pick up cheap ECU's here or there to have on hand just in case of a loss. Steve

Well cool! This is just getting easier and easier, thanks Steve.  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2015, 06:03:56 AM »

:rotflmao:

Chalk one up for Rhino!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »

Sent my ECU off Monday to be flashed. Can't wait to find out if it smooths out the throttle as described. I'll report as soon as I can ride it. Weather in Kansas is not conducive to bike rides except on exceptional days. My ECU was already flashed by Guhl and I was happy with the result but wanted to get the throttle reaction tamed down.

Fork

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »
Sent my ECU off Monday to be flashed. Can't wait to find out if it smooths out the throttle as described. I'll report as soon as I can ride it. Weather in Kansas is not conducive to bike rides except on exceptional days. My ECU was already flashed by Guhl and I was happy with the result but wanted to get the throttle reaction tamed down.

Neat.  Yours will be valuable feedback.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2015, 05:29:39 PM »
I'll be watching for your report too.

Ride safe, Ted

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
Here's a cut and paste just posted today on the COG about the Shoodaben Vs Guhl flash. Don't know the man, other than as a customer. This repost is with his permission. thanks Harvey - Steve

"Comparing Stock Flash Vs Don's Flash Vs Steve's Flash
Today at 07:49:59 am »
Hi Everyone,

I've been through some of the threads and I thought I'd help others who were in my position. What I felt lacked was a detailed review of all 3 ECU flashes. So I thought to share some of my findings with everyone. I won't write paragraphs upon paragraphs of feedback, but rather copy part of my own personal notes below for everyone to see. However, please keep in mind the following:

1. I do not know Don or Steve and have only spoken to each of them twice on the phone. Both times were strictly about he flash, what I currently have, what my expectations are and current bike configuration.
2. I do not receive any royalties from either of them for saying anything positive (or negative).
3. I do not belong to any organization/forum, nor do I have any association to any group that may or may nor benefit from my evaluation.
4. My evaluation was based on what was important to me and what I could perceive (everyone detects and perceives different things).
5. The following is my opinion and my opinion only. I welcome all questions/comments and will respond only to the ones that are respectful. I will not respond to accusations or derogatory comments.

Conditions:
1. Multiple rides (easy touring, hard accel/decel, mountain type riding, hard cornering, MSF testing) were performed with all 3 flashes (stock, Don, Steve) and evaluated.
2. Riding conditions, bike conditions, road and climate conditions were similar.
3. Bike used was 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, stock form, no mods other than Muzzy Slip on exhaust.
4. Octane 91 was used on all rides.

Overall Assessment of Don vs Steve (please see table for details of rides and evaluation):
1. From 0-6000 rpms, Steve's flash superior from Don's by roughly 10-15% (again, this is my perception) based on throttle response.
2. From 6000-9000 rpm, Steve's flash is vastly superior over Don's. It is as improved over Don's as Don's is over the stock flash.
3. Fuel Efficiency: Steve's flash is far superior over Don's. Don did not work on the ECO mapping, Steve did. His flash is the equivalent of the ECO mapping in terms of fuel efficiency.
4. Engine braking (chopping or rolling off throttle): Steve's flash is almost identical to Don's but there are subtle differences (see table)

So if have the stock flash and are looking to upgrade, my assessment is to go with Steve's flash. It is superior and less expensive.

If you have Don's flash:
1.  Conservative riding: You will gain 10-15% better quality rides with the added benefit of using a lower octane (89), equivalent fuel efficiency as the ECO map and a smoother more responsive throttle. Does the cost of another $300 justify 10-15% gain? That's for you to decide.
2. Hard riding (6000 rpms or above): You will gain 100% in performance. Steve's flash is definitely the way to go.

From a professional and personal stand point, both Don and Steve were A+, all the way. What I was most impressed about was the packaging of the ECU from Steve. The ECU was bubble wrapped, placed in a box. Then the box was bubble wrapped and placed into another box. If Steve's conservatism and attention to packaging is that detailed, there should no doubt about his quality of work with his ECU.

His ECU flash is an excellent product and if you are looking for a major difference in performance/fuel efficiency without anything to do other than "plug n play", his flash is the way to go.

TABLE OF RESULTS: Please see attachment

Hope I have helped someone out there.
Take care,
- Harvey"

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
I was at the dealership today to price out a Kawasaki Touring seat. While I was there I asked the sevice manager about their position if a customer "hypothetically" had an ecu flash done to his/her bike as far as warranty. He gave me a wink and said that they don't check for that, and that if he figured it could become a warranty sticky point with Kawasaki; a stock flash could be put back in. I am just waiting for Steve's dyno results with the Area P slip on and I think I will pull the trigger. (In January after all the Christmas parcels have cleared the system.) :chugbeer:

Take this with a grain of salt.... It is highly unlikely that the dealer can even see that the ECM has been flashed, the factory yes but the dealer no.... I'm looking at getting the ECM in a Mercury 4-Stroke outboard flashed as in my case it can add 45 SAFE HP to my motor and as long as the factory never needs to see the ECM I'm told no dealer will ever be the wiser....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt.... It is highly unlikely that the dealer can even see that the ECM has been flashed, the factory yes but the dealer no.... I'm looking at getting the ECM in a Mercury 4-Stroke outboard flashed as in my case it can add 45 SAFE HP to my motor and as long as the factory never needs to see the ECM I'm told no dealer will ever be the wiser....

I was told by my dealer as long as I don't open the case as in engine case I won't void my warranty. Throwing a power commander on or flashing the ECU as per my dealer won't affect the warranty in any way. Considering I just had my bike in the shop for an oil leak and a broken tooth off 3rd gear with a flashed ECU I'll tend to believe him. Covered under warranty.