Author Topic: Saddle bag lid retainers/straps  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Bob Young

Saddle bag lid retainers/straps
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
 :)
My '86 had two (2), one on each bag lid, nylon straps that could snap/fasten to the lid to keep the lid from falling down when opened. The other end was fastened to the body of the bag. They were held in place by snaps and could be removed. Mine over the years had broken at the snap portion mounted to the bag lid. While not a big deal, it was sure nice not to have to worry about stuff spilling out of the bag when opened.
I fashinoed two (2) "straps" for each bag, one on either side, by using electrical wire ring terminals crimped and soldered on to #16 stranded electrical wire ( more flexible). After drilling out the stock pop rivets holding the snaps base, I re-installed a new pop rivet with a backing washer on the outside of the bag. Getting the correct measurement for the wire ( too long and bag lid hits hot muffler; too short and the opening isn't enough to add/remove items) takes a bit of doing; and you lose the ability to remove the "straps" or disconnect them. Probably, the better solution would have been to have new nylon straps made and replace the snaps and bases (pop rivets again), but this is what I did for now. I haven't thrown the old straps away in case I don't like the current set up.
Probably just created a "rainey day/winter " project.

Ride safe all,
Bob Young

Offline anycleavers

Re: Saddle bag lid retainers/straps
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
Nice idea Bob. Do you happen to have a pic?
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
 :popcorn:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
I'll see what I can do. Never posted pictures here before. I think I'll have to put them in webshots and post a link to webshots,no?
Suggestions on how to do this are welcomed.
Bob Young

Offline Tele130

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 06:34:26 AM »
I'll see what I can do. Never posted pictures here before. I think I'll have to put them in webshots and post a link to webshots,no?
Suggestions on how to do this are welcomed.

I use this.
http://photobucket.com/

Follow the promps, easy to use. :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:12:38 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:04:51 PM »
I hope this comes through correctly. Thanks to knight_mare for the instructions. I'm getting ready for a four day trip with my wife (she rides her own bike), so I may have to pack some additional "stuff". The bags lids staying horizontal should be a big help. I'll post how it works when we return.
On some of the rivets I used a 1/4" length that didn't allow for a "backing washer" on the outside.I then switched to a 3/8" length that worked better with a backing washer. A little dab of black paint and I think it'll be less noticable.

Ride safe, folks.
Bob Young

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
Wow nice job.  Methinks I have a new project.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
Nicely done!  36KB, 640x480 is perfect!  As soon as Fedex brings tomorrow's shipment and I get all that stuff on and finish what I've been barely-working on, I'll have to see about monkeying around with the bags.  Been resisting the urge to sand them smooth and paint them for a few years now.  Odds are that will be a winter project...
Just my opinion, DO NOT sand them smooth.  The bags on my 86 are of course smooth from the factory.  They show WAY more scuffs and dings than the texture of my bags on my 02.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
 :(
After an "un-scheduled get off" in 2008, the left bag had some road rash that I filled in with some epoxy ( not perfect, but the bag doesn't leak), so I repainted the outside lids only (rattle can). It came out ok; probably needs a couple more coats, but it hasn't peeled off or dulled any. And, yes, they do show scuff marks ( getting on & off the bike; not as limber as I used to be; but at 73 I'm so tickled to get my leg over the seat......).

Take care and ride safe, all.
Bob Young

Offline Tele130

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »
All I'll say is "Spray Bed Liner". :rotflmao:  No,  really. You won't regret it!!!!

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
Holly cow Bob. That's great!  I hope I'm still riding at 73..........hell, I'll settle for "Still breathing". ;D

BTW Bob. What a great idea. Thanks for the post.   FYI. We don't talk age around SNARF.  :rotflmao: Hi Chris.  :chugbeer:

Doug Colton

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
Quote from: Tele130 link=topic=4338.ms[sup
[/sup]g50646# :'(msg50646 date=1317247039]
Holly cow Bob. That's great!  I hope I'm still riding at 73..........hell, I'll settle for "Still breathing". ;D

BTW Bob. What a great idea. Thanks for the post.   FYI. We don't talk age around SNARF.  :rotflmao: Hi Chris.  :chugbeer:
when I grow up I want to be just like you Tele. Of course thats going to be quite a few years ???
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:34:48 PM by snarf »
2002 Conc

Offline Tele130

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
when I grow up I cant to be just like you Tele. Of course thats going to be quite a few years ???
:rotflmao: 

Doug Colton

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
 ;)
Update: After a 950 mile, four day ride with my wife I can report the lid retainer/straps worked well. We stayed in motels three nights and made various stops for pictures, so the bags were opened and closed a lot. The straps didn't loosen or come apart, so I guess that's a success.

Take care and ride safe,all.
Bob Young