Author Topic: Storing new tires ?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Storing new tires ?
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
Someone gave me a heck of an idea this morning during a tire discussion. When we buy new tires to keep for spares or future use, everyone worries about deterioration. Heres the idea, get one of those big vacuum bags like you store a quilt or blanket in and put the tire inside and vacuum all the air out and put it on the shelf. A new tire in a vacuum environment should last for quite sometime without dry cracks. Opinions ?
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Re: Storing new tires ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »
FWIW a trackside tire vendor told me that the rubber is formulated to resist ozone issues, shape deformation and sunlight are the potential problems so just storing flat (laying on the side) and in the dark is the ticket for long-term new-tire storage.

Not sure that what you describe could hurt, but personally I'm a little hinky about 2 different kinds of plastic/rubber in very intimate contact for a long term .... wierd things can happen between plasticisers of those materials.  Have you ever seen the strange things that can happen between plastic and rubber things in a tackle box?  Not saying i know anything bad would happen, just not sure I'd want to pay for the experiment.

BTW, for as long as you store new tires waiting for use .... have you seen cracking problems?  if yes, how were those stored?

Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »
I have always stored mine in the box or wrapper they came in and kept them on the shelf in the shop until used.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
Well, as usual, I don't know the answer, but I'm interested in what others have to say.  I bought one of the last sets of Michelin Pilot GT's available, and they are stored in my basement, on an elevated plywood platform, flat on the side, in the cold and dark.  They've been down there for some time now, and at my present rate of riding the Connie, I probably won't be needing them for two more years.  If they aren't going to survive that long in that environment, then maybe I'd be better off selling them to someone who needs them now.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.