Author Topic: Fuel starvation issue.  (Read 15328 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Fuel starvation issue.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
so why am I the only person commenting on the fact o/p was reporting petcock was dripping...,???

and what was cause and solution to that serious problem.... gas coming out of the petcock weep hole is not normal, and dictates correctional activity...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »
so why am I the only person commenting on the fact o/p was reporting petcock was dripping...,???

and what was cause and solution to that serious problem.... gas coming out of the petcock weep hole is not normal, and dictates correctional activity...

Post 3 & 5 in case you missed it....    ::)
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
no, i get that.... but it has been mentioned, but pushed off, and not been addressed.... or fixed.... or looked into by the o/p, because fifteen more opinions re tossed at him, and he aint getting the priority......my point......

I agree with MOB, more info needed for a real troubleshoot, but pending that: If it runs in PRIME but not in the normal ON position, the difference is that PRIME doesn't require vacuum but ON does.  Check your vacuum hoses to be sure there are no leaks or kinks.  Lack of enough vacuum to fully displace the diaphragm and poppet valve can cause lack of flow/starvation.  The leakage of the petcock is probably a separate issue that should also be dealt with.  Sounds like time to repair/overhaul/replace the petcock.

Try removing the inline fuel filter... For the most part they are known and do cause starvation issues... Be sure to fix or replace the leaking petcock... Also just because you've read that they are used does not mean that they are 100 % as some folks have problems and some don't. I installed one years ago and it caused me grief but it was due to a slight kink that cautious routing and trimming worked out; but results vary a lot by brand too...

sorry T, I was just getting this " letme check 5 other things before checking the one CERTAIN issue... "which is a leaker....

and it gets pretty tiring repeating to tacke the CERTAIN visible problem, before playing with otherstuff.... fix the leaker... first.

changing fifteen things at once, and never doing root cause from the visible problem, is rediculous....a+b+c+d don't mean anything unless "a" gets fixed first.
he might not have a vent issue
he might not have a kinked line
his filter might be working fine

his petcock is leaking fuel into the diaphragm area, and it should not be doing that, and as a result, I pretty much gurantee that diaphragm is now shot, and needs replaced.... never seen one leak out of a weep hole and NOT needing to be replaced. that's a given.

kinda like someone saying their tire is loosing air, and going on and on about removing the wheel, and sticking it in a tub of water, when they can dap a goober of spit on their finger, swipe across the schrader valve, and rule out, or replace, or simply tighten the valve stem insert....

kiss system.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 03:50:25 AM »
and he aint getting the priority......my point......

Ok we get your point....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 09:44:05 AM »
MOB, he never told us that the petcock was leaking from the vent hole. Merely said it was dripping.
So, it might be that the O-ring around the lever is leaking.
We don't know.... ???

But your correct, if it's leaking gas, he  has the potential of FIRE.
Fix the leak first...

I suspect Steve has stated the ultimate solution... But, fix the obvious/dangerous first.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 04:47:44 PM »
Placed my order for a new OEM petcock today, should be in by friday. To answer connie_rider's question, it does not seem to be leaking from the lever, that is always dry but it does  seem to be coming from higher in the back. I don't know if that is where the vent is. I'll take a look when I pull the tank off to do the swap.
I will most probably change the whole fuel line at the same time and take the filter off.  Any words of wisdom on how to do this without cursing too much? It looks like a tight spot between the carbs.  I was thinking of taking 2 carb boots off to get to it.
Last thing I want to check is the venting at the gas cap.  I thought that the 2 vent hoses at the base of the tank ( the ones routed to the bottom of the frame in front of the battery) where all there was to it.  I will take my gas cap off and inspect it.

Thanks again for all your imput.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
Do not remove Carb Boots!

Changing the hose itself is not a big problem.
Finding a correct hose, and getting a clamp/clip back on is difficult.

Removal;
With the tank off, look straight down the existing hose, carefully remove the clip, pull hose off. (May need to split hose at Carb).

Installation:
New hose; cut to correct length. (May be shortened later to assure no hose pinch)
                find a long screwdriver that will just fit into the ID of the fuel inlet on carb.
                      (3/16" or 1/4" shank)
                lubricate ID of hose
                Straighten hose and push screwdriver thru length of hose (approx. 1" od SD sticking out)
                Place end of screwdriver into fuel inlet on carb
                push hose down over fuel inlet
                remove screwdriver
                ** reinstall clip on hose

** The biggest problem is getting the clip/hose clamp back on the new hose after the hose is installed.

Someone else can make suggestions for that (and add improvements to my installation trick).

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:55:36 PM by connie_rider »

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »
^ you may want to clarify you are suggesting sticking the screwdriver down the length of the hose not actually through the hose....that would be a bloody mess of fuel everywhere.

I know it seems obvious but I have actually seen it interpreted wrong and done that way, you know reading comprehension, mechanical ineptness and internet ambiguity collide....

Offline Jim __

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »
I used fuel line pinch clamps and these needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight.  The 45 degree ones worked great for me!

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-11-inch-20-offset-45-angle-long-reach-needle-plier-set-33202.html

jirod

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 07:25:22 AM »
So I finally received my new fuel valve and had time to change it.  First I drained the tank and found very little junk inside.  Installed the new valve, no problem. Filled it back up with fresh gas and let the carbs fill up properly on prime.  No leaks.
I took apart the old valve and found a small rip in the thinner diaphragm. That was probably where the gas was seeping to the vent holes.  I had noticed when I was draining the tank on prime with a clear fuel line that if I blocked the vent hole there was no more air going down with the gas.
Took it out for a test ride of about 30 km, ran great.  The next day I went for a 200 km ride with no problems.
Yesterday I was riding back home on the highway and was very low on gas so when it started cutting out I switched it to  reserve but It seemed like the carbs were not filling up fast enough and it stalled. I had to pull over and turn it on prime for a minute to get it started again but I could only get it running on choke. It ran like crap for about 1 km until I got to a gas station and filled it up while still on prime and then it finally ran ok.
I had not taken off the inline filter that I had installed because I assumed that the rip in the diaphragm was my only problem.
My next step is now to change my fuel line.  Hope this is the last of my troubles.