Author Topic: Choke cable  (Read 3056 times)

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
Choke cable
« on: July 24, 2015, 06:56:46 AM »
This is a minor nuisance compared to some of the issues here. I'm finding that the choke won't stay engaged. When I put it on it just springs back, I have to hold it on. I'm assuming that after all these years things may have worn. The spring is original as is the lever.
Is there a way to tighten up the lever so it stays put? I've looked in the Clymer manual and it only tells you how to check and adjust.
Thanks!

Offline RLTherio

Re: Choke cable
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:37:27 AM »
There is a plastic block inside the left housing assembly that usually wears out or breaks like mine did.  Just take your choke lever assembly apart and you might see the problem.  I made my own out of a block of nylon plastic.  It was that or spend $100 on ebay for a used assembly that might be in the same condition as my old one; broken.  Another way to get around it is to put a vacuum cap in there.

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »
I see what you mean, it's a rubbing block that provides friction for the lever. I shimmed it up from underneath and it seems to work fine, thanks!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
I think I remember reading that some have used a pencil eraser as a replacement block.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »
I took a small rubber wheel with a hole in the center, trimmed off a small round slice and slipped that over the bar between the lever and housing. To hold it in place and apply a little pressure against the lever, I used a black zip tie.  Provides perfect friction to hold the lever and easy to make.

After taking the pic and looking at it, it would have been much easier to use an o-ring, cut it and squish it in there and hold it in place with a zippy or even a rubber band.  If you wanted, you could try stretching the o-ring over the assbly but it would also be over the wires and cables on the bottom.  A person could probably use a rubber band doubled over a few times and get the same result.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.