Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671675 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3340 on: September 23, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
WTF just happened. (Again by the way)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3341 on: September 23, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
WTF just happened. (Again by the way)

You mean between pinkie and Mr C.? Oh don't mind that, it's just the usual outside the arena banter, it's like foreplay that leads up to an argument instead of sex.

Now as for the bicycle stuff, well I think that is going to be determined to be some sort of a kinetic art display done by either a new art student or just a crazy person that thinks they are an artist, when in fact they are a future episode of hoarders.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3342 on: September 23, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
You mean between pinkie and Mr C.? Oh don't mind that, it's just the usual outside the arena banter, it's like foreplay that leads up to an argument instead of sex.

:rotflmao:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3343 on: September 23, 2019, 04:18:58 PM »
Damn this place is dead!!!

I may have to take up slamming POTUS again in the Arena just to liven this place up...

Ok then, The Beatles it is.

Leave it to you to somehow politicize this...

By the post above I thought you were looking for some fun. My bad.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3344 on: September 23, 2019, 05:13:49 PM »
OK then, now on to something completely different.

This question sort of fits here in "A thread about nothing at all..." because 1) it's about a thread, as in a thread of a machine screw; and 2) I'm finding almost nothing at all when I try to research it.

What is a 5/32-32 thread size used for?  ???

Is it British?   Specialty automotive?  A special size for Helicoil usage?  Perhaps an old obsolete size? I've search through many online charts of screw sizes, zooming in on many photos of thread checker kits and fixtures. I even searched through my old high school copy of Machinery's Handbook which I thought for sure would have the answer.  No. So far the only thing I've found is that there are both taps, dies, and screws of that size available, but for what I don't know.  I have found both NS and UNS designators on some of the taps and dies available, but I don't know if the s stands for special or superfine or neither.

I ask this here because some of you are a lot more experienced than I, and also have knowledge of and access to references that I don't even know exist. If I can't find it in Machinery's Handbook then I assume it doesn't exist, at least until now.

edit: Why do I ask?..short story is I purchased a set of steel nut rivets or threaded inserts if you prefer, and I noticed that it included 80 5/32-32 inserts that I had never seen before and didn't fit any of my thread checkers, neither metric or SAE so it got me to wondering why it was included and what was it used for?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3345 on: September 23, 2019, 05:50:33 PM »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3346 on: September 23, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
Well it says the S in UNS stands for Special, but I can't find 5/32-32 on there...I'm not saying it isn't there but so far no luck finding it.

Thanks pinkie.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3347 on: September 24, 2019, 04:35:27 AM »
What rivet nut kit did you buy, Marty?

About 6 months ago I went outside to lock up two vehicles with my spare fobs.  After that I couldn't find them anymore.  Looked in the garage, looked everywhere in the house, looked in all my pants pockets....no luck.  I knew I had brought them back in because as a lazy sob I never took them out of my pocket.  Fast forward to last night.  Wife dropped her fob on the tile floor and it separated into all of it's pieces.  Took me an hour and a half to put it back together as she would have no way to get to work except via my truck.  I went into overdrive again looking for the spares and was sitting on the couch and thought...I wonder if they fell down into the right side?  Put my hand down there and found not only the two fobs but two USB sticks I've been missing and thought that I had lost.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3348 on: September 24, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
By the post above I thought you were looking for some fun. My bad.

Are we not having fun?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3349 on: September 24, 2019, 03:56:26 PM »
Hey, I'm good. Seems like we might have worried other folks though.  :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3350 on: September 24, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
Convert the fractional dimension to a US standard screw diameter and you get a number 8. So what you really have is an 8-32, common as the day is long. Readily available from virtually anywhere that sells screws (Easy Boys!) such as Homely Despot and Lows, etc, et. al.. Same thing as a 3/16" diameter screw major diameter- convert it to the much more common standard #10 and you have one of the most common small screw sizes used in the US.

Brian

OK then, now on to something completely different.

This question sort of fits here in "A thread about nothing at all..." because 1) it's about a thread, as in a thread of a machine screw; and 2) I'm finding almost nothing at all when I try to research it.

What is a 5/32-32 thread size used for?  ???

Is it British?   Specialty automotive?  A special size for Helicoil usage?  Perhaps an old obsolete size? I've search through many online charts of screw sizes, zooming in on many photos of thread checker kits and fixtures. I even searched through my old high school copy of Machinery's Handbook which I thought for sure would have the answer.  No. So far the only thing I've found is that there are both taps, dies, and screws of that size available, but for what I don't know.  I have found both NS and UNS designators on some of the taps and dies available, but I don't know if the s stands for special or superfine or neither.

I ask this here because some of you are a lot more experienced than I, and also have knowledge of and access to references that I don't even know exist. If I can't find it in Machinery's Handbook then I assume it doesn't exist, at least until now.

edit: Why do I ask?..short story is I purchased a set of steel nut rivets or threaded inserts if you prefer, and I noticed that it included 80 5/32-32 inserts that I had never seen before and didn't fit any of my thread checkers, neither metric or SAE so it got me to wondering why it was included and what was it used for?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3351 on: September 25, 2019, 04:48:10 AM »

About 6 months ago I went outside to lock up two vehicles with my spare fobs.  After that I couldn't find them anymore.  Looked in the garage, looked everywhere in the house, looked in all my pants pockets....no luck.  I knew I had brought them back in because as a lazy sob I never took them out of my pocket.  Fast forward to last night.  Wife dropped her fob on the tile floor and it separated into all of it's pieces.  Took me an hour and a half to put it back together as she would have no way to get to work except via my truck.  I went into overdrive again looking for the spares and was sitting on the couch and thought...I wonder if they fell down into the right side?  Put my hand down there and found not only the two fobs but two USB sticks I've been missing and thought that I had lost.

Careful Jim, or the wife will soon start looking for a care home to put you in <LOL>
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3352 on: September 25, 2019, 06:12:24 AM »
Too late... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3353 on: September 25, 2019, 06:57:57 AM »
Hey, I'm good. Seems like we might have worried other folks though.  :rotflmao:

They'll get over it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3354 on: September 25, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »
Convert the fractional dimension to a US standard screw diameter and you get a number 8. So what you really have is an 8-32, common as the day is long.

No, the set I purchased had those (#8) as well, and using a thread checker, the 5/32-32 would go loosely onto a 6-32 and only just start on a 8-32 but not go all the way on it.
I also found it strange that the rivet size for the 5/32"-32 was larger than for the 8-32 even thought the major diameter would be smaller. ???

This one--> [url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL45TFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL45TFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

I'm beginning to think that the 5/32-32 is a Whitworth cap screw size possibly out dated, as I'm told it's listed in a 1957 version of Machinery's Handbook, but I couldn't find it in my '66 edition. Maybe if I reach down into the cushions of my sofa I'll find an earlier edition?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3355 on: September 25, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »
I believe there is a mistake in that selection in that I cannot find any reference to a "UNC" (Unified National Coarse standardized thread) measuring any fraction less than 1/4" or 0.250" diameter. I believe it is some foreign (meaning some company that is not following the standards) invention that does not really exist.

From Wikipedia:

"Designation
The standard designation for a UTS thread is a number indicating the nominal (major) diameter of the thread, followed by the pitch measured in threads per inch. For diameters smaller than ​1⁄4 inch, the diameter is indicated by an integer number defined in the standard; for all other diameters, the inch figure is given.

This number pair is optionally followed by the letters UNC, UNF or UNEF (Unified National) if the diameter-pitch combination is from the coarse, fine, or extra fine series, and may also be followed by a tolerance class.

Example: #6-32 UNC 2B (major diameter: 0.1380 inch, pitch: 32 tpi)"
<end quote>

This has also been my experience over years of actually working in the fastener industry.

Put more simply, I thinks whats ya' gots dere is 'some guy's' imaginary version of a "standard" thread that is neither standard or even in use anywhere.  ;D :o :o  Brown and Sharpe (machine tool and measuring instrument Co. located in RI and an industry leader) used to make up their own threads, such as 17 1/2 TPI, but they were not standardized threads, rather a deviation from <any> standard to force a machine owner to purchase ONLY B&S hardware going forward. As you spec. sheet calls out "UNC", this would indicate a true, unified, standardized thread but I can not find any reference to any such thread. Such my thought that it is either some type of linguistic translation mistake, or a thread made up on the fly from someone's fertile imagination. At any rate, I betcha' you have several life- time supplies of rivets for screws you will never actually see and / or find. :-)

Brian

No, the set I purchased had those (#8) as well, and using a thread checker, the 5/32-32 would go loosely onto a 6-32 and only just start on a 8-32 but not go all the way on it.
I also found it strange that the rivet size for the 5/32"-32 was larger than for the 8-32 even thought the major diameter would be smaller. ???

This one--> [url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL45TFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL45TFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

I'm beginning to think that the 5/32-32 is a Whitworth cap screw size possibly out dated, as I'm told it's listed in a 1957 version of Machinery's Handbook, but I couldn't find it in my '66 edition. Maybe if I reach down into the cushions of my sofa I'll find an earlier edition?

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3356 on: September 25, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
I really have to laugh a bit, and remind folks that screw threads are very specific to certain "markets"... and having speant 45 years in designing "stuff", and having to be able to adapt, and supply the standards, I'll share this "tidbit"..

sewing machine screws.

altogether different and various obsurd sizes existed, as did the elusive 5/32-32 (its not a "UNS", or "UNCS") and does not "convert" to a modern series at all.
(I worked for a few years for a company designing multi head computer controlled embroidery machine... it was a nightmare of data to "re-absorb" in that industry, to adapt ancient to modern tech)

here, scroll down to the bottom.. you will see the tap data, and specific number.
https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads/

iirc it's also a 55* thread form, not a 60*.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Online Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3357 on: September 26, 2019, 04:35:56 AM »
5/32"-32 is a British Standard Whitworth size/thread. 5/32" diameter and 32 Threads per Inch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth
The size is listed in the table (4th row from the top).

The most common usage was and still is for Meccano screws.
https://www.usmeccano.com/pdf/newmeccanoscrew.pdf

This thread ain't about nothing,.... it's a thread about threads.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3358 on: September 26, 2019, 05:37:11 AM »
I still have one of those kits!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3359 on: September 26, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
That may well be so but if you go to the link, the page displays the specific contents of that package and it says:

"【Package Details:】:
Thread -------------- Drill Hole Size --------- Quantity
8-32UNC ---------------- 0.23'' ---------------- 80pcs
10-24UNC -------------- 0.27'' ---------------- 70pcs
5/32"-32UNC ---------- 0.27'' ----------------- 60pcs
1/4"-20UNC ------------ 0.35'' ---------------- 40pcs
5/16"-18UNC ---------- 0.43'' ---------------- 30pcs
3/8"-16UNC ------------ 0.52'' ---------------- 20pcs
1/2"-13UNC ------------ 0.67'' ---------------- 20pcs
Total Quantity: 320pcs  "

They clearly list 5/32 as UNC, which is an American designation for a Unified National thread. And there just ain't no suchofa' thing.

Of course this could well be a misprint but I can only base my thoughts on the information available. And Marty went through the Machinery Handbook (an excellent, perhaps the best available, for machine and precision specifications) and could not find anything about a 5/32 thread in the Whitworth or any other section, per our conversation yesterday.

Whatever it is, I do not have anything I could fit into that thing.....   ;) ;D

Brian

5/32"-32 is a British Standard Whitworth size/thread. 5/32" diameter and 32 Threads per Inch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth
The size is listed in the table (4th row from the top).

The most common usage was and still is for Meccano screws.
https://www.usmeccano.com/pdf/newmeccanoscrew.pdf

This thread ain't about nothing,.... it's a thread about threads.  :rotflmao: