Author Topic: Cruise Control Cable Replacement  (Read 1749 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Cruise Control Cable Replacement
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
I recently posted up the "What'd you do for your Connie today" thread that I had replaced the servo control cable on the Audiovox cruise. I had some interest in it, so I started a new topic on it.

My current cable was down to one strand. I have a 5-6k mile trip coming up and I did not want to lose cruise. I ordered this cable:

http://www.venhillusa.com/Universal-Cable-Kits/Venhill-Universal-Motorcycle-Clutch-Cable-Kit-p696.html

I just made it slightly longer than the old one and it works fine. I did do the cable attachment to the key chain thingy different, however. I picked up an aluminum ferrule to clamp on the end of the cable, after passing through the key chain thingy hole. I also had to make the premounted thingy on the new cable smaller to fit in the servo. No big deal. It seems to be working fine, and the cable is 2mm, vs the .5mm for the stock unit. It should last a lot longer. The stock one had about 45-50k miles on it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline mlf73

Re: Cruise Control Cable Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »
Good info Steve.  My cable is fine but I've managed to break the adjuster at the end of the cable housing because I had it mounted up too high and my fuel tank sits right on top of it.  At some point it snapped the threaded adjuster.  It still works fine and holds speed correctly but at least it looks like I can repair it some day if I need to since that universal kits appears to contain an adjuster that might work.

Marlan
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
Good info Steve.  My cable is fine but I've managed to break the adjuster at the end of the cable housing because I had it mounted up too high and my fuel tank sits right on top of it.  At some point it snapped the threaded adjuster.  It still works fine and holds speed correctly but at least it looks like I can repair it some day if I need to since that universal kits appears to contain an adjuster that might work.

Marlan

+1

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »

Marlan

Same here, what he said.

Thanks Steve for the repair info.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
Yer all quite welcome.

Later.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)