Author Topic: Help with removing carburators  (Read 4465 times)

Offline ZG RIDER

Help with removing carburators
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:35 AM »
Hey all,
 I'm wanting to send my carbs to SiSF for the mod work and exhaust cam gear. I cant stand the 1st and 2nd gear sputter and lurch! however I cant find any info on removing the carbs here or elsewhere! I even looked up the pdf kawasaki service manual and it only gives general "advice" on keeping dirt out of the system while removing and not "how to" remove. I'm confident that  removing my carbs from the C-10 shouldn't be a problem. I just hate to hack into the project with no instruction whatsoever. Can anyone direct me to a link on "how to' or offer a general description and possibly a list of any specialty tools/techniques needed to perform this procedure?

I'm just going to guess here but I assume remove seat, tank, unbolt air box, loosen boot clamps, remove cables, hoses and then pull/push real hard to one side to remove?

Even close?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! 8)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:29:37 AM by ZG RIDER »

Offline fred-houston

• Arena
Re: Help with removing carburators
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:10:56 AM »
I am in no way an expert or even knowledgeable about the subject, but this might help you.  As for sending your carbs to SiSF, as far as I am concerned it is the only way to go.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=30890
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 C-10 (Semi Naked) EFI

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »
An "adjustment" to the procedures in the above link for removal, you can disconnect the throttle cables at the throttle housing on the handlebar, then that way you do not have to mess with the tight quarters of the cable ends on the carbs themselves. just my preference
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »
Remove Seat
Remove Tank (draining fuel makes handling the tank much easier)
Loosen clamps on front of carbs

If your machine is older, and how old I can't say, but the rear carb boots may be pretty stiff if older.  Warm boots with blowdryer to help.

Remove choke cable at the carbs.

I agree it may be easier to remove throttle cables at handlebar but I've done it at the carbs a few times.  If you remove at the bars, take a few pics of how they are routed and connected to the throttle.

Eyeball your water pipe connections to the rear of the cylinders for leakage.  If your bike is older (age?) you may want to replace those o-rings too while the carbs are out.  I've got to go back in to replace mine and I'm foolish for not doing it while carbs were out, but my bike is an 87.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline red44

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
Seat and tank (plus hoses and electric connections) then I loosened  the cables at the carbs only.The boot springs don't really have much tension, but I took off what I could. Loosened the airbox but that gained little, but it might be helpful. Took a bit of lateral force to get them going, unhooked the cables as room would alow, or as it came out. Loosen everything you can and then get a little angry to get thing moving. I was trying to finness them out untill I got pissed enough. Stupid rubber boots on both sides do hold it in there pretty good.  :)

Offline red44

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
The clamps on the front side too, my bad.

Offline red44

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:38 PM »
Mine went to Steve too. I opted for the lower rpm tune as well, with the  overflow tubes installed also. My bike purrs like a kitten from idle.

Offline ZG RIDER

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!

I like to do things right the first time and your advice will certainly help!

Ill have Steve work his magic and then  "Smooth sailing"   8)  :chugbeer:

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:22:34 AM »
If your carb boots are stiff you might want to get new ones, will make carbs go back on easier.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:14:55 AM »
I've not tried it, but the old KZ forum used to recommend using petroleum jelly (vaseline-like stuff) on them to soften the rubber. 

Just DO NOT confuse it with naval jelly!  :o
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
I've not tried it, but the old KZ forum used to recommend using petroleum jelly (vaseline-like stuff) on them to soften the rubber. 
Wrong rubber! 
Just buy new ones.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Stasch

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
This may be obvious, but this might be your first go-round with this.

TIP:  Always remove the side covers BEFORE removing the tank or else you are to likely scratch them with the tank's lower ears on removal - re-installation.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Summit670

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
And a side note - those rear boots are pretty darn tough.

I bought new ones for my 87 2 years ago so I figured I'd just tear the old ones out and make carb removal easier.

I grabbed the old ones with pliers with the intent of tearing them out and really abused them and they didn't tear, even though they were old and stiff.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline throb

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 04:06:16 AM »
Zip ties can be one of your best friends during installation as well. After reading all the posts about what a hideous job it could be, I was dreading the installation of mine after getting them back from SISF  :hail:  after he put overflow tubes in for me (highly recommended)!  I used a series of zip ties through the air box to hold the boots in a "rolled back" position and the install was easy peasy!  A few snips with side cutters after you have the carbs back in and you're well on your way.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:03:24 AM »

Just DO NOT confuse it with naval jelly!  :o
Bad Idea IMHO.  Petroleum jelly will actually dry out your rubber making it even more brittle.  This si why you should never use petroleum based products as an o-ring lube.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 08:00:51 AM »
Bad Idea IMHO.  Petroleum jelly will actually dry out your rubber making it even more brittle.  This si why you should never use petroleum based products as an o-ring lube.
That's right. When installing an 'O' rings your supposed to use engine oil or  sometimes a light grease....  wait?? :o
Aren't those petroleum products???
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
I don't *know* what effect it'll have since, like I said, never tried it.  If they're bad enough they won't come loose tho', worth a try.  Otherwise you'll need to replace 'em anyway.  Stiff boots either won't seat right or will take a couple heat cycles to settle in. 

Temperature does make a big difference.  On a cool morning I couldn't budge 'em so bought new ones.  Tried it in the afternoon the following weekend and found them good enough to reuse and returned the new ones.  Note: NO hair drier, just 10-20F warmer.
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html