Author Topic: Ran hot today  (Read 1452 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Ran hot today
« on: December 01, 2021, 03:52:52 PM »
200,000 plus miles in 3 C14 and never a hint of over heating. Today my 08 with 110,000 mile ran hot in city traffic on a cool day (65F) I was doing some Christmas shopping in and looking for a BBQ joint for a lunch break and noticed two bars above normal line. I headed for the Interstate,  got a brief overheating warning on the dash but it only lasted a second as I was maintaining good pace now. Once on the Interstate after 3 miles or so of 75mph it was back to normal  on the gauge and staid that way the 40 miles home.

Once home I let the engine idle and soon had the two bars over the line and no fans on. Remembering my 99 VFR800  overheating problems I started looking in the manual for where the water temp sensor was located. On the VFR it was plugged directly into the radiator and just a simple on off switch to control the fans. Not on the C!4. The temp sensor is plugged into the rear of the cylinder head, requiring throttle body removal for servicing!

Fortunately the problem turned out to be a blown fan fuse. So now I am wondering what would cause the fan fuse to blow. I checked both fan blades and they spin freely.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Ran hot today
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 05:06:41 PM »
Fortunately the problem turned out to be a blown fan fuse. So now I am wondering what would cause the fan fuse to blow. I checked both fan blades and they spin freely.

It might have been temporarily hung with a rock or twig or something that then later fell out while riding.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:36:16 AM »
It's rare these days but fuses can also fail due to vibration rather than over-current.
If the fuse goes again, then you have a problem, but until then I wouldn't worry about it.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 07:38:26 AM »
Thanks for the comments. There has been a lot of tree debris on the country roads I travel. And the fuse was different from most blown fuses I have seen, usually just a clean gap. This one has a black burn mark and no gap that I can see with the naked eye. I had to test it with my multimeter to know it was blown.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 08:09:08 AM »
Thanks for the comments. There has been a lot of tree debris on the country roads I travel. And the fuse was different from most blown fuses I have seen, usually just a clean gap. This one has a black burn mark and no gap that I can see with the naked eye. I had to test it with my multimeter to know it was blown.
If the burn mark is off-center then it's almost certainly a vibration failure.
The fusible link will have vibrated loose from one of the legs of the fuse and it will have been arcing across the gap, causing the burn mark, until the gap became too big for it to arc across.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »
It is off center.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 02:43:48 AM »
That looks more like a normal fuse blown to me, but could still be arcing damage.
Keep an eye on the fuse, and if it blows again, I would get the wiring and fans checked out.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
The fan fuse blew again today. I swapped out the relay box with one from my parts bike. Going to try to check the suspect relay with my multimeter per page 16-107 of manual.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 04:05:36 PM »
Swapping relay boxes didn't help. I'm going to pull the plastic and test the fans, I assume one of them must be bad. Waiting on an air filter since I might as well change it while the plastic is off.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 04:10:20 PM »
Swapping relay boxes didn't help. I'm going to pull the plastic and test the fans, I assume one of them must be bad. Waiting on an air filter since I might as well change it while the plastic is off.

That is what I was thinking.  Spin them by hand, maybe a bearing is slightly failing and dragging (or something else in there causing drag) and causing the fan to pull too much current?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 12:59:07 PM »
I'm stumped. I pulled the radiator off and tested both fans with a 10 amp fused 12 volt connection. Both fans run fine, no unusual noise. I let them run a minute or so, they didn't feel hot.
Any ideas?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 07:12:31 PM »
Let them run 5 to 10 minutes and then feel if they get warm or not. If there are bad bushings or bearings they probably won’t show up immediately.
Also, were you able to check the amperage draw on each one and then recheck them after they have run for that 5 to 10 minute period of time.
My $.02 worth.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 07:56:06 AM »
Let them run 5 to 10 minutes and then feel if they get warm or not. If there are bad bushings or bearings they probably won’t show up immediately.
Also, were you able to check the amperage draw on each one and then recheck them after they have run for that 5 to 10 minute period of time.
My $.02 worth.
Thanks for the suggestions. I only ran them for about 2 minutes each. I will run them longer. But I think this type of testing will not be very valid due to the large  temperature difference testing off the bike. I think I recall from high school science that resistance goes up with the temperature. Also I probably have to rig a connection to run both fans at once.

I did not test amperage, not sure how to test that.

OK, found an inductive amp meter in my shop. I've got the two two fans hooked up in series and will test when the weather gets warmer in a couple days.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 11:49:22 AM by lather »

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 07:39:20 AM »
UPDATE
I hooked up the two fans to run together off a 12 volt batter (the one in my R3) I ran them for about 12 minutes testing the amps with an inductive ammeter.
Initially the amperage was about .155, fluctuating constantly between .149 and .160. After 12 minutes the amperage had only dropped slightly: 1.35-150. 
The fans never acted up in any way, the sound never changed. So it appears to me the fans are ok and I am still without an answer to what causing the fuse to blow.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 10:54:28 AM »
At this point, I would inspect the wire harness for a possible grounding issue.  Something has to be causing that fuse to pop.  I know this could be a pita, but you could try rewiring (even if temporarily) from the fuse box to the fans and see if that stops the problem.  My 2 cents…
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
At this point, I would inspect the wire harness for a possible grounding issue.  Something has to be causing that fuse to pop.  I know this could be a pita, but you could try rewiring (even if temporarily) from the fuse box to the fans and see if that stops the problem.  My 2 cents…
Thanks for the idea. Reminds me of My VFR that had a really poorly designed cooling system, (unlike the Concourse). It had two radiators facing sideways! The solution was to wire up a manual switch to overide the temperature sensor switch and turn on the fans whenever the meter showed anything over 190 F.

I have two good fans from my parts bike, going to install them and see what happens but if the fuse keeps blowing I may rig a manual control circuit and bypass the problem.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
Success! Swapped out the fans from my parts bike and reinstalled the radiator. Fans came on with two bars above normal.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 04:26:00 PM »
Success! Swapped out the fans from my parts bike and reinstalled the radiator. Fans came on with two bars above normal.

OK, so now we wait again :)