Author Topic: Concours 14 Passive FOB replacement from locksmith  (Read 20117 times)

Offline Locksmith

Re: Concours 14 Passive FOB replacement from locksmith
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 05:25:20 PM »
No but I guess you could put it there, hidden under the seat.

If it is hidden under the seat, how would you get at it?  You need a key to remove the seat.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 05:37:52 PM »
If it is hidden under the seat, how would you get at it?  You need a key to remove the seat.
Well that's what I mentioned in my post about it, and that is I carry a spare key in my wallet, it's a thin flat key.
You would have to have a key to get into the bags also if you keep it there.
I don't want to get stranded. (like everyone)

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »
Well that's what I mentioned in my post about it, and that is I carry a spare key in my wallet, it's a thin flat key.
You would have to have a key to get into the bags also if you keep it there.
I don't want to get stranded. (like everyone)

Ah, I missed that.  I don't carry a conventional wallet.  It was killing my hip. 

Funny story.  My new wife (married in May this year) had to purchase a mobility scooter due to her back problems.  We went to Seattle for a day trip in the car (from Vancouver, BC).  I started to pull the scooter out of the back of the car and she exclaimed that she had forgotten the key at home.  Always the innovator, I found some necessary bits and pieces and picked the lock on the scooter (remember 37 years at this).  I put half the scooter together on the sidewalk before I realized I had left the battery at home.  Doh!

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »
The chip key that I have has a small hole in it that you can press a wire into and eject the chip.  If I needed to I could eject the chip, hold it in place and start the bike with the key.

I also have a comment to those that continue to spout their hatred of the fob.  Like it or not, it is here to stay.  I can appreciate that you hate it.  I do not.  Your continued comments on how much you hate it is just so much more noise in a thread where in my opinion it is not appropriate. 

If you have nothing to say that won't add to the conversation, why bother?

I have to respond to this; as much as you like this system I hate it and I don't see one advantage to having this system unless it's a deterrent to thief.
I like the C14 but I sold my first 08 because of this system, I just could not warm up to it. However I got over it and bought an 09 and now I have a 2011.
So many things we do surrounds this fob/passive thing including this complete thread.
Here is the problem for me; it's the cost involved if you lose any of this stuff, I never have because I'm paranoid about it, to me it's a solution to a problem no one is having.
I'm seeking a solution to this issue for all of us interested in an alternative that will be cheaper and I hope it works out so we don't have to be so concerned about losing, washing, or just having a defective fob.
There is even a limited number of replacement fobs you can have before you have to replace the whole system, so cloning would be ideal if possible. Plus starting in 2010 you only get one fob and if you want another it's at least 300 bucks by the time you get it programed.
If I have to carry something I would rather have a key and I would bet that somewhere the insurance companies are behind this type of system. I know they are in the auto industry...

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »
Ah, I missed that.  I don't carry a conventional wallet.  It was killing my hip. 

Funny story.  My new wife (married in May this year) had to purchase a mobility scooter due to her back problems.  We went to Seattle for a day trip in the car (from Vancouver, BC).  I started to pull the scooter out of the back of the car and she exclaimed that she had forgotten the key at home.  Always the innovator, I found some necessary bits and pieces and picked the lock on the scooter (remember 37 years at this).  I put half the scooter together on the sidewalk before I realized I had left the battery at home.  Doh!
I don't carry a conventional wallet either, I have an ID holder. Almost every Police officer carries them, you have seen them...
Try that pick the lock thing on your C14!  :rotflmao:

Offline Freddy

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2018, 11:35:21 PM »
Gabriel says:  There is even a limited number of replacement fobs you can have before you have to replace the whole system........

Why would any bike/owner need more than 6 active fobs in their lifetime I wonder?

If you think this bike has a problem and causes you to be paranoid, have a read through this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?84651-D-E-S-S-KEY-CODE-AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&highlight=dess
This is on-going after 3 years and it happens if you DON'T lose the key.   :deadhorse:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2018, 03:17:18 AM »
Gabriel says:  There is even a limited number of replacement fobs you can have before you have to replace the whole system........

Why would any bike/owner need more than 6 active fobs in their lifetime I wonder?
6 sounds like a big number but it's only four additional for some.
On the other hand how many keys would you be allowed to make before having to replace anything?

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2018, 03:19:18 AM »

6 sounds like a big number but it's only four additional for some.
On the other hand how many keys would you be allowed to make before having to replace anything?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2018, 04:39:39 AM »
Yes, you must be paranoid.  I've never had more than 4 keys for any vehicle I've ever owned, mostly 2   :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2018, 05:41:07 AM »
I mean, how long is the expected lifetime of a motorcycle?  15 years? 20?  25?  I agree that 6 slots [for active fobs] sounds scary, but really, how many active fobs is one going to lose (there is no limit on passive fobs]?  Speaking for myself, I have had 4 cars and 3 motorcycles over my lifetime, so far, and I have never lost a single key.... and all but three of those vehicles they were not active fobs that could live "permanently" in a bag or jacket that don't have to be taken out- greatly reducing the potential of them being lost.

My only real complaint what Kawaski did is that the 2nd gen came with only a single active fob (and one passive).  It would have been better on Kawasaki's most technologically advanced and expensive and highest-end bike (as it still was when the 2nd gen came out in 2010) that they included two active fobs instead of one.  The passive fob was a good idea as an odd-on, but replacing one of the active fobs with it was not a good idea.  And it didn't "save" Kawasaki much money for what it actually costs them- maybe $10 on a $15K sale?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2018, 06:50:52 AM »
It's not the actual loss itself, it's the cost associated with that loss.
Being able to buy a active FOB for say 50/75 bucks would changes things completely...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »
The chip key that I have has a small hole in it that you can press a wire into and eject the chip.  If I needed to I could eject the chip, hold it in place and start the bike with the key.

I also have a comment to those that continue to spout their hatred of the fob.  Like it or not, it is here to stay.  I can appreciate that you hate it.  I do not.  Your continued comments on how much you hate it is just so much more noise in a thread where in my opinion it is not appropriate. 

If you have nothing to say that won't add to the conversation, why bother?

Oh there have been fob detesters since day 1 of this bike (not me, I love the fob and embrace it).   There have also been ABS detractors, my oil is better than Kwackers recommendations, etc and etc (not to mention car tires).  That's all part of this open forum and it stirs debate as well.  I don't think any of the comments so far have been hateful to FOBs.  If someone doesn't like it that's fine and their comments are welcome as to why they don't like it.  The first gen bikes had two fobs.  Second gen had one fob and one credit card thingy.  It is very expensive to lose a fob and terrible to lose both.  Personally I lost one (the one with the key for about 4 years, which is why I chained the spare to my belt and never took it out.  Used a another key I had made early on.  Tickled to death to find the lost one in a pocket of a jacket I rarely used. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
It is very expensive to lose a fob and terrible to lose both.  Personally I lost one (the one with the key

Just to clarify and reduce any possible confusion- all the C14 fobs, the active (large one) and passive (small/thin one) include a [cut/metal/flat] key which fits inside it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »
What I hope, since FOBs are probably here to stay, is that someone can make a learning FOB finder. That is a device that can learn and duplicate the same signal that the bike puts out when you push down on the stove knob. Repeatedly sending out that signal, it doesn't have to check to see if the response is correct, it just needs to let you know that it received a response. This would be great for FOBs lost in the house. One may  need to remove the batteries from all the known location FOBs (cars;truck; bike spares etc) just in case they respond to the same signal, but just narrowing down to a vicinity would be very helpful in finding the darn thing. I know the 5 mile section of road where I lost my original FOB and I would have made the walk both ways if I had had such a device, but since I didn't, I just rode slowly back and forth 4 times looking. It's amazing how many little black things there are on the road specially along the edges when you start to look for them.  :o

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2018, 12:37:08 PM »
What I hope, since FOBs are probably here to stay, is that someone can make a learning FOB finder. That is a device that can learn and duplicate the same signal that the bike puts out when you push down on the stove knob. Repeatedly sending out that signal, it doesn't have to check to see if the response is correct, it just needs to let you know that it received a response. This would be great for FOBs lost in the house. One may  need to remove the batteries from all the known location FOBs (cars;truck; bike spares etc) just in case they respond to the same signal, but just narrowing down to a vicinity would be very helpful in finding the darn thing. I know the 5 mile section of road where I lost my original FOB and I would have made the walk both ways if I had had such a device, but since I didn't, I just rode slowly back and forth 4 times looking. It's amazing how many little black things there are on the road specially along the edges when you start to look for them.  :o

My better half asked me if I thought this key finder is a good idea for a white elephant gift with a $25 limit. I responded that if you're a person who loses your keys, how will you not lose this? HAHA! But ... I will say, it would actually improve your chances since it would least give you 2 things to try to find instead of only the one.

https://www.whateverworks.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=K2653

Now, what is REALLY needed is a smartphone app that finds your keys or FOB ... cuz practically nobody in the entire world lets their precious phone out of their sight.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
Really? First I am hearing of this..... what exactly about fobs seems to upset them? I am sure with a little reasoning and the gaining of more knowledge they would come around.....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Oh there have been fob detesters since day 1 of this bike (not me, I love the fob and embrace it). 

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Well, if the locator is small enough and it is PERMANENTLY ATTACHED to the keys (fob, remote control, etc. ad nauseum), then it would be useful IMO, depending on the range at which it could be detected. And of course a useful range does not have to be 20 miles but 100 feet would be nice, 100 yards would be really nice. That would actually allow one to find something that fell out of a pocket while riding a motorcycle by driving the same route again.... instead of trying to walk slowly on the side of the highway looking for what amounts to a piece of fly $hit in a pile of pepper.

Brian

My better half asked me if I thought this key finder is a good idea for a white elephant gift with a $25 limit. I responded that if you're a person who loses your keys, how will you not lose this? HAHA! But ... I will say, it would actually improve your chances since it would least give you 2 things to try to find instead of only the one.

https://www.whateverworks.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=K2653

Now, what is REALLY needed is a smartphone app that finds your keys or FOB ... cuz practically nobody in the entire world lets their precious phone out of their sight.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »
Just to clarify and reduce any possible confusion all the C14 fobs, the active (large one) and passive (small/thin one) include a [cut/metal/flat] key which fits inside it.

In the beginning on gen 1.  Only one fob had the key.  The other was keyless in that it had no key in the key slot to use on the bike in any key slot that was available to insert said key.  At least that was the key experience that I had.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
In the beginning on gen 1.  Only one fob had the key.  The other was keyless in that it had no key in the key slot to use on the bike in any key slot that was available to insert said key.  At least that was the key experience that I had.

Are you sure you didn't just get ripped off?  I have a feeling the dealer lost one of your keys...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 01:56:29 PM »
Are you sure you didn't just get ripped off?  I have a feeling the dealer lost one of your keys...

The bikes, as delivered, are supplied with cut keys, both the active and passive ones....
if you got a new bike, and the key was missing... it's the dealer that was responsible...

personally, I think dealerships think they are cute, and retain a key just out of the fact they can... thinking in some way it will benefit them.

as for replacement fobs, both types, those do NOT come with a key, a blank to fit the holder is extra, and the part numbers associated to all are on the Microfiche, where you find FOBS.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..