Author Topic: Final drive leak  (Read 4068 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Final drive leak
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:20:22 AM »
Over the weekend I was doing some touch-up powder coating on the "spirit".  I noticed that the final drive is starting to accumulate oil/grease on the lower section of the final.  I removed the rear tire and the final.  The large main seal 'looks' to be ok.  I had to replace the large seal on my 02 after 40K.  I presume that Jimmy replaced this seal when he coated the case. 
There is also grease/oil where the swing arm assembly connects to the final.  Is there supposed to be a gasket between the two? This is where it appears to be leaking.
So the question is...How many place on the final drive can start to leak.  I will be getting the large main seal on order, I just hope that I dont have to open it up for other seals.
Thanks in advance.
Chris
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Final drive leak
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:39:04 AM »
no doubt it's the Oring at the back of the splines. easy to nick when installing the final drive, and then the leak starts. Steve

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
no doubt it's the Oring at the back of the splines. easy to nick when installing the final drive, and then the leak starts. Steve
Thanks for the suggestion Steve.  Are you referring to part#92049A or 92055A?
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »
I think 049's are seals and 055's are orings, correct?if so, it's the 055 - Steve

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »
Correct.  The 92049's are the large seal.  Thanks again Steve.
Now who has the best service for the parts? I would like to be able to have them before the weekend
2002 Conc

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
  BikeBandit usually ships the same day.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »
Cool, now i just need to figure out what one i need.
I'm not finding the part num that Steve posted
2002 Conc

Offline Bmcush

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
Chris

The P/N you need is 92055-1646, maybe try the local dealer

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/44/Year/2003/ModelID/4061/Model/Concours/GroupID/126989/Group/Drive_Shaft_Final_Gear(1_2)

Sorry for the look url

If 92049-1026 is not leaking don't replace it.  Maybe stick some thick paper (like a match book cover) on the inside of the lip then around the circumference to see if you pull out any dirt, they can sometimes leak from this

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
Cool, now i just need to figure out what one i need.
I'm not finding the part num that Steve posted

Ron Ayers has a couple of "O" rings p/n 92055C  BikeBandit shows the same "O" rings as p/n 92055.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
I believe I located the o'ring Steve is referring to. It does not appear to be nicked or cut.
On the end of the axle shaft (final drive side) there seems to be a o'ring relief cut into it. Does a oring go here or is it milled in there for clearance for the outer beauty cap?
On the input shaft of the FD there are two weep holes. I pressume they sling oil onto the drive shaft couplings? Sorry for so many questions. I didn't pay much attention when I had my 02 apart.
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:11:54 AM »
bump??
2002 Conc

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:04:23 AM »
the oring I'm referring to is down on the splines of the pinion input shaft, down past the weep holes, and closer toward the pinion seal. the oring fits in a groove on the input shaft and seals the slip joint cup. If you don't see it, it's probably not there  :o Steve

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »
the oring I'm referring to is down on the splines of the pinion input shaft, down past the weep holes, and closer toward the pinion seal. the oring fits in a groove on the input shaft and seals the slip joint cup. If you don't see it, it's probably not there  :o Steve
I found that oring.  It looks perfect.
Now do you know if there is supposed to be a o'ring on the very end of the axle shaft (right up by the head)?
Like I mentioned it looks like a relief is milled into the shaft.  I just cant tell if its for the outer beauty cap or for a oring.  My guess is beauty cap.
2002 Conc

Offline Bmcush

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
There’s only one o-ring on the input pinion shaft and its located where Steve described it. Replace it anyways and see if it helps.  If not maybe someone had over packed the slip joint (20cc's or four table spoons).  Or perhaps the o-ring that goes around the bearing housing went bad as mine did two years ago (92055-1038).  My fix was to screw out the housing from the final drive with a pair of 6 x 1.0 bolts about 1 1/2 long. I then replaced the o-ring, clean up the shims then lightly coated the mating surfaces with permatex blue gasket spray. 

Caution on reassembly; before you pull things apart scribe the top of the housing to ensure it is clocked correctly upon reassembly.  There’s a hole in the housing which supplies lubricant to the pinion bearing, mess that up and you'll probably burn the bearing.

I would’ve replied sooner but I cant login at my DOD computer with this new site