Author Topic: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge  (Read 21025 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 11:12:13 PM »
I sat on one of these at the international bike show earlier this year and spent some time giving it a careful once-over and one area that didn't impress me was the factory hard bags.  Basically plastic with a sheet of metal over it to give the rugged look.  There were a bunch of little dents in them just from having people get on and off the bike.  The mounting clips looked to be cheap plastic too - not what you'd expect for an adventure style bike.  I asked the salesperson about it and he admitted they are weak and his response was basically "well, you can always bungee it on the back if one falls off;"  Granted, that has nothing to do with the mechanics or performance of the bikes - but to me it raises a red flag if KTM is willing to cheap out in this area.

Anywhere KTM can cut down weight they can.  Scratches, that'll happen to any cases after the first fall.  KTM spent a lot to make the bike as light as possible.  You can get as heavy duty panniers as you like for this bike (Jessie's, Touratech, etc same makers that make the after market GS1200 stuff) but they'll weigh a ton.  Performance wise I bet the KTM bags with metal only where needed will win. 

Here is the Jessies system for the KTM, the strongest panniers made but weigh as much as a tank!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
Jesse system is hardcore as is Happy Trails, I have the Happy Trails system and it is awesome.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:38 AM »
Awesome photos SOP. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline TJ

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
I bought a Tiger 800 XC last year and still have my 2012 Concours. If I had to sell one of the bikes it would be the Concours. The Tiger is the most fun I had on two wheels in decades. Tons of power, fantastic fuel mileage and very comfortable outside of a hard seat. Only problem is you will end up spending a couple of grand on farkles.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline texrider

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
I bought a Tiger 800 XC last year and still have my 2012 Concours. If I had to sell one of the bikes it would be the Concours. The Tiger is the most fun I had on two wheels in decades. Tons of power, fantastic fuel mileage and very comfortable outside of a hard seat. Only problem is you will end up spending a couple of grand on farkles.

I've read several positive reviews of both 800 Tigers. What percentage use would you say yours sees the highway, vs secondary and backroads?
Also, does the suspension seem adequate to run fast over the rough and loaded? Thanks.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
In keeping with the OP comments I'd say the 650 V-Strom at least for me, dealer support for Triumph, KTM, BMW would keep me from buying one as the nearest dealers are miles away. Great motor, great accessories, lots of accessories, lots of dealers, not too big, not too small, more than enough power, great price on the bike and maintaining it too. Mostly street, maybe some packed dirt.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 06:05:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys. I'm still debating, but I think after riding it and reading everything that I can find, the KTM has come off my list. Also, since I'm going to be doing a lot more road/highway riding than offroad, I want to stick with one of the larger displacement bikes.

I'm now debating between the 2014 BMW GS and the 2013 Triumph Explorer. I like both bikes from a "sitting in the showroom" standpoint. I've ridden the BMW, but won't get a chance to ride the Triumph until next weekend when I can get to the dealer again.

The deal currently running on the Triumph would get me a lot of extra equipment for about $15,500 OTD. The BMW would be well over $20,000 with the add-ons I'm looking at. So, right now it's more of a money decision than a bike decision. I think I could be happy on either one.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
Now that Yamaha is adding electronic cruise control, it is on my short list.  The Super Tenere just fit me better than the Explorer and I was only leaning toward the explorer because of the electronic cruise.  I will ride the Concours on my New England tour and then decide if I want to sell it and the Versys and replace both with the Super Tenere.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
Now that Yamaha is adding electronic cruise control, it is on my short list.  The Super Tenere just fit me better than the Explorer and I was only leaning toward the explorer because of the electronic cruise.  I will ride the Concours on my New England tour and then decide if I want to sell it and the Versys and replace both with the Super Tenere.

Sweet sweet machine, hope that Yamaha can start selling more of them, cannot understand why they have not sold better. :(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
Love my Suzuki DR-650. Fun per dollar cannot be beat. But definitely not a 95% on road bike. You can make it bearable for on road duty by putting the Corbin seat on it but the most I like to do on it is about 400 miles/day.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »

Sweet sweet machine, hope that Yamaha can start selling more of them, cannot understand why they have not sold better. :(

I know two guys with them. Both are ok with the bike, but both would prefer the GS. From everything I hear, it's too heavy and just isn't inspiring. They both do a fair amount of off-road on them, too. Most comparisons put it close to the bottom of the adventure bike list.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:47 PM »
Nice pics Chet!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline TJ

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »
I've read several positive reviews of both 800 Tigers. What percentage use would you say yours sees the highway, vs secondary and backroads?
Also, does the suspension seem adequate to run fast over the rough and loaded? Thanks.

So far it has been 100% highway. Been a rough year with an ACL surgery then followed by having three disks in my neck replaced with cadaver bone so am almost ready to tackle some bumps and ruts. I still have to add some crash bars and join up with some other guys for some off roading.
Bike is amazingly quick even where I live at 7,000 feet which translate into 20% HP loss. It is most likely the smoothest running bike I ever owned outside of some previous Gold Wings. I would not hesitate to ride this bike across the country.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Son of Pappy

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
I have some pics uploading from my Dirt Bike 201 Class I held yesterday, highlights are of a Tiger and Buell Ulysses.  Trust me, worth the wait.  May make some rethink their choices (not really, but it will make folks rethink what a Tiger and Buell can do).

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
I know two guys with them. Both are ok with the bike, but both would prefer the GS. From everything I hear, it's too heavy and just isn't inspiring. They both do a fair amount of off-road on them, too. Most comparisons put it close to the bottom of the adventure bike list.

The latest rendition is even more GS like, just without the price tag and potential high maintenance costs. :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »
I've ridden a Super Tenere on road and it wasn't bad but just not exciting in anyway. I guess for that kind of money I was expecting more.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
I have some pics uploading from my Dirt Bike 201 Class I held yesterday, highlights are of a Tiger and Buell Ulysses.  Trust me, worth the wait.  May make some rethink their choices (not really, but it will make folks rethink what a Tiger and Buell can do).

Hey, SOP. Where are the pics you mentioned?

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »

The latest rendition is even more GS like, just without the price tag and potential high maintenance costs. :)

Are you comparing to the new "water cooled" GS? I'm considering one. Rode a friends and I think it has much more potential than the air heads.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »
Hey, SOP. Where are the pics you mentioned?
Pics take a long time to down load using DSL.

Bonus Koolaid pic for Pokey  ;)

There would be more of the Tiger, but he was a bit of a novice rider whereas the Ulysses guy had no fear and responded well to coaching..