Author Topic: Yamaha Radian  (Read 2348 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Yamaha Radian
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »
Anyone have any firsthand knowledge about these bikes?  My wife just does not feel comfortable driving the Connie.  I found an 1986 Yamaha Radian 600cc bike.  It is way low enough that she could easily flatfoot it. I just dont know that much about the bike.    I wish I could talk her into that 1987 ZL 1000
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: Yamaha Radian
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
The Radian was a parts-bin bike built to a price to get sales in a tough bike economy.  It was a pretty good bike for its day.  The forum / aftermarket support is a bit weak, and plastics are hard to find.  There is a forum/newsletter/newsgroup at badrad600.com .

I helped a friend pick one up recently, and underestimated the amount of time and cost to get it into operating condition.  On any bike that old, you need to check plastics, compression, charging system, fuel tank (rust, etc), rotors, any signs of abuse, etc.  If the bike is in perfect/excellent condition, you s/b okay.  It is a very pleasant bike, but again, support is limited.  You s/b fine on consumables, but parts could be problematic.

Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
I see them on CL all the time. Good, reliable bike in its day, just a bit bland for those looking for something "exciting". Usually the ones you see are clapped out/neglected and need loads of work. And usually no title.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline mike

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
The Radian was a parts-bin bike built to a price to get sales in a tough bike economy.  It was a pretty good bike for its day.  The forum / aftermarket support is a bit weak, and plastics are hard to find.  There is a forum/newsletter/newsgroup at badrad600.com .

I helped a friend pick one up recently, and underestimated the amount of time and cost to get it into operating condition.  On any bike that old, you need to check plastics, compression, charging system, fuel tank (rust, etc), rotors, any signs of abuse, etc.  If the bike is in perfect/excellent condition, you s/b okay.  It is a very pleasant bike, but again, support is limited.  You s/b fine on consumables, but parts could be problematic.

Good advice it1....I had one. Bought it new in 86. Decent little bike & pretty comfortable. I think it made something like 60hp. New they went for right around 2K. The biggest problem I see is it's a 26 yr old bike now  & parts & tires (16" rims) might be a problem. You would probably be better off spending a couple more bucks on the front end & getting something more modern. But If they're giving it to you, what the heck.