Author Topic: progressive rear shock upgrade for a bad back rider  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Pecker

progressive rear shock upgrade for a bad back rider
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:08:03 AM »
So my rear shock on my 93 is toast. I saw the progressive upgrade shock on Murphs site.

I understand the advantages to the upgrade, ie more responsive performance etc but more important for me is a less bumpy ride.

I have a seriously bad back (disc problems, nerve stuff) and I'm just glad to be able to ride at all. So less bumpy for me is most important.

Hoping for input from those who have upgraded: Which offers a "less bumpy", smoother ride? Replacing the old factory shock or upgrading to the new 465 Progressive?

"If it's sloppy, eat it over the sink"

Offline Pecker

Re: progressive rear shock upgrade for a bad back rider
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »
.... which offers a ride with less "bumpy feel" to it....465 progressive or the old stock shock?

(bump)....come on...someone...I dont want to spend 377 bucks for a ride thats harder on my old back.
"If it's sloppy, eat it over the sink"

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
It all depends on the spring you have installed, if you get a stiff spring your ride could be harder if you get a soft spring you could have a problem with bottoming out which will be even harder. I run a Works Performance shock, IMO it does give a better more controlled ride, the rebound dampning is much better than the stock shock. The bike doesn't want to spank you in the ass after a hard bump like the stock shock due to the better rebound dampning. I have no doubt that the progressive shock will give you a better ride and better handling, you just need to make sure you make the right choice on the spring for your weight and riding style.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
I have seen how very  plush the C14 stock shock rides (and of course  it is a huge improvement over stock) when installed on the C10.
 Maybe you should look into that. I have a the heavy spring with my Progressive and I can tell you it  is far superior to stock  but it will not be nice on your back. Maybe some one with a lighter spring will chime in.

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle