Author Topic: WTH....Ughhhhh why now?  (Read 8206 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
WTH....Ughhhhh why now?
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »
I just finished buttoning the 'Spirit'. Oil change, new plugs, valve adjust ect. You know the drill; all the stuff not to do just before a long trip  :o.
Now I have a decent drip of oil from the waterpump weep hole. I did not over fill the oil. There does not appear to be any anti-freeze, just oil.
Spool the million dollar question is:  Since it is an '86 do I just go ahead and replace the entire waterpump? Damn.....getting short on time, anI was really looking forward to taking this bike to VT. Back up plan would be to take the pump off of my '02 or just take it.
Does Murph offer priority shipping?
Ughhhhhb  :banghead:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:13:32 AM by snarf »
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline jklhill

Re: Ughhhhh why now?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
Since it is an '86 do I just go ahead and replace the entire waterpump?

That is what I would do.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »
Yea, I sorta already had my mind made up. I just sent Garry an Email. Is there anything else I should be doing while I have her opened up? I sure wish I had one of T-Cro's shift upgrades sitting on my workbench.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
I  too had the same thing show up so I ordered a new pump and it fixed the leak. I think the old  pump is fine. It just needs a new  O ring and  shaft seal.  I feel no play in the shaft.
Maybe if you order new seals and  it fixes the problem and you do not open the box with the new  pump in it Murph would  let you ship it back.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
My water pump weep leaked oil a few diff times.  Oil seal was displaced so I replaced the oil seal.  That was at least 10k ago.

I rode it for a month or so with the leak but can't say for sure how much it would leak at sustained high speed.  Probably not much.

If the water pump has never been replaced you can do that.  I should have.

My 87 has 71k on the OEM pump but my concern is that oil has possibly gone thru the bearing and washed any grease out so it is living on borrowed time.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:08:50 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply's. I just went ahead and ordered one from Murph's last night.  I would be very pissed off to have pulled the pump and replaced o'rings (probably would have done the trick) and still had a leak this close to leaving.  Its about 1200miles one way and I saw no reason to tempt fate.
Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead of me.  I have read through the 'giant' section on pump removal.  It sounds pretty straight forward.  Is there anything I need to watch out for?
2002 Conc

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 06:58:38 AM »
Good deal.  Just make sure to drain the oil and coolant, don't lose any parts.  Hope you ordered new o-ring for the connection pipe on the lower side of pump because that should be replaced too.

BTW - oil coming from the weep hole is an oil seal problem and not an o-ring deal so it is a good thing you went with the new pump because it comes with the seal.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:06:24 AM »
.... I sure wish I had one of T-Cro's shift upgrades sitting on my workbench.
And what's stopping ya?  :)  I got's them on the workbench ready to ship.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:21 AM »
And what's stopping ya?  :)  I got's them on the workbench ready to ship.
I was saving those for winter project.  You will be hearing from me :chugbeer:

Good deal.  Just make sure to drain the oil and coolant, don't lose any parts.  Hope you ordered new o-ring for the connection pipe on the lower side of pump because that should be replaced too.

BTW - oil coming from the weep hole is an oil seal problem and not an o-ring deal so it is a good thing you went with the new pump because it comes with the seal.
Ahhh crap thats a negative on the connection pipe o-ring.  I have a good supply of rings at work, if not I am sure that I can match one up from one of our auto parts stores (I hope)
2002 Conc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:12 PM »
I have tried  standard O rings and they wont work. I was unable to install the pump with a standard  O ring. The bike  would chop it into two O rings.
 The O ring for that comes with the  pump is thinner  or  something
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
I have tried  standard O rings and they wont work. I was unable to install the pump with a standard  O ring. The bike  would chop it into two O rings.
 The O ring for that comes with the  pump is thinner  or  something
Not good, not good.  Anyone have the part num?  Our Kawi shop might have one :(
I believe I found it, are you referring to part# 671B2525 25mm o-ring
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »
Double D@MN none in stock. 5-7 days :-\ :-\ :-\
2002 Conc

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 04:16:14 PM »
Double D@MN none in stock. 5-7 days :-\ :-\ :-\

Call Gary.. maybe he stocks 'em and can get one in the box before it mails out.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline Summit670

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
If nothing else, try to use the original.  Be careful pulling the pipe out and when you put it back in lube the oring.  Clean both surfaces first.  Don't forget there is a 10mm or 8mm headed bolt that holds the pipe in place.

If the OEM ring leaks a little, you may still get by.  Just keep an eye on the temp and coolant level each gas stop.

or

So what if a little oil drips, keep an eye on your oil levels.  I doubt the drip is bad enough to cause problems.  The only way I could tell was a nickel size puddle each day and/or seeing a little smokey haze when light hits that area in the dark.  When running I believe drips were burned off on the exhaust pipe.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »
No coolant loss, just oil. Not much, nickel sized and light smoke when on the side stand. Waterpump already shipped, no joy for the o-ring in the same box.
Heck maybe I will order the o-ring and have Gary bring it. Waterpump tech session???
2002 Conc

Offline Summit670

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
Good idea, doing it on the road (at motel hopefully).  You may find you don't have to mess with it too (on the road) but you will have the o-ring just in case. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
Carry it with you just in case.  Replace it when you get home.  The o-ring will be waiting there for if you ordered it.  If you change it on the road, you will need coolant and oil change if i've heard this correctly.  Then you could just drain the oil into a clean container (washed out 2-litre soda bottle with an opening cut in the side or a dish pan from the dollar store) and then just pour it back in when done, unless coolant gets in there when the pump is pulled.  Of course, save the coolant too.

Just thinking out loud.  I've never done one of these on this bike - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  Make sure you have all the tools you need!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Noho Drewster

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Snarf,
Just replaced water pump not too long ago, and could swear there was on o-ring in the box.  Ah, just looked at the fine print on Murph's site, comes shipped with (2) - 25mm o-rings.  Breath easy my friend.
Drew
'94 C-10
'79 Shovelhead

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 04:56:58 PM »
Snarf,
Just replaced water pump not too long ago, and could swear there was on o-ring in the box.  Ah, just looked at the fine print on Murph's site, comes shipped with (2) - 25mm o-rings.  Breath easy my friend.
Drew
;D Saaaaaweet. That's the good news I was looking for Thanks for lifting that weight of my chest brotha.
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 06:20:23 AM »
Do I need a gasket or anything when I remove the clutch slave cylinder?  I think I am going to look into working on it tonight.
Somebody had mentioned that removing the heat shields will make for a cooler ride.  Doing this may make the engine run cooler, but it will not make you any cooler.  Lower and mid plastics have to come off tonight anyway as those heat shields are definitely going back in.
2002 Conc