Author Topic: 2021 COG National Rally  (Read 9229 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
2021 COG National Rally
« on: July 24, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »
It appears that since the 2021 planning was well underway when the 2020 National got Covid cancelled, COG is headed back east again next year. I'm not sure why the Southwest region of COG didn't come next in the rotation and my only guess is that they couldn't find anybody willing to be a Rally Meister.
Between the MSTA and now COG seemingly becoming East Coast oriented groups I sure wish the disgruntled members of both west of the Mississippi would form their own group (WSTG Western Sport Touring Group?). I'd certainly sign up in a hurry. Obvious answer to that is for me to do it...but no not gonna happen and that is probably the main problem...nobody wants to take on the work nor the resulting animosity from both established  groups. Probably not wise to take disgruntled people from other groups and expect them to not still be disgruntled with a new group, but I can dream, right?. So it appears that I will ride alone pretty much from now on or with only a friend or two but I quess that's OK.   I'm just venting my major disappointment here and fingers crossed for 2022.

They did put up a funny video (gotta give 'em kudos for a sense of humor  :chugbeer: :thumbs:) which I hope is still available after they make the real announcement tomorrow evening.

https://vimeo.com/439225979

edit: Ok, they changed it to make the real announcement so not so funny anymore....if there is a link to the old one I don't know what it is.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:58:48 PM by fartymarty »

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: 2021 COG National Rally
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »
They do the best they can  with what they have to work with. Speaking of MSTA but I suspect COG is not much different. I have noticed that Texas which was once a strong supporter of HSTA/MSTA events seems to have gone off on their own, like California and Michigan before them. I think the membership is getting old and not much interested in traveling long distances across the wastelands to participate when they have great stuff in their own backyards. Is that why you  are you disappointed about STAR in West Virginia?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »
They do the best they can  with what they have to work with. Speaking of MSTA but I suspect COG is not much different. I have noticed that Texas which was once a strong supporter of HSTA/MSTA events seems to have gone off on their own, like California and Michigan before them. I think the membership is getting old and not much interested in traveling long distances across the wastelands to participate when they have great stuff in their own backyards. Is that why you  are you disappointed about STAR in West Virginia?

Yes, and you are correct about the two groups being much the same although I think that MSTA has a little bit higher volunteerism than COG overall but then there is almost no MSTA out west. Cog at least has some local events out there. I joined MSTA to help fill in the gaps in the COG schedule and of course the MSTA Hill Country event in Texas is always nice. I knew what I was getting (East Heavy group) when I joined the MSTA and in 2015 (?) I attended the COG National in Colorado and then hot wrist-ed it over to Springdale for the MSTA National. What a great summer that was. However my first National with COG was in Idaho and it spoiled me a bit. After the first half day slog getting out of Texas the rest was fantastic all the way up (except for maybe the Wyoming hailstorm) and I kept looking forward to another western event. From my few eastern events I pretty much decided that I just don't like going east of the Mississippi much (MSTA TWISTAR in SW Wisconsin was an exception, I first met Norm Kern there), it just gets more crowded and there really isn't anything that Arkansas doesn't have.
Don't get me wrong, I like both organizations. I'm just disappointed that neither does more out west. It's probably time I start looking elsewhere for next summer maybe here--->https://sc-ma.com/  they even have a C14 on their logo.  8)

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 06:20:20 AM »
My MSTA riding buddies share your disappointment in the lack of Western events, especially Tony who lived in San Diego for some time. We did have some in the past, two in Mammoth Lakes CA, one in Lake Tahoe and two in Taos, NM. More recently one in Rapid City, ND. I don't know whether you count Colorado as west but it is west of the Mississippi and we've had eight there.
The key to improving coverage is building membership. I know the MSTA executive committee is working hard on that but it is an uphill battle.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »
My MSTA riding buddies share your disappointment in the lack of Western events, especially Tony who lived in San Diego for some time. We did have some in the past, two in Mammoth Lakes CA, one in Lake Tahoe and two in Taos, NM. More recently one in Rapid City, ND SD. I don't know whether you count Colorado as west but it is west of the Mississippi and we've had eight there.
I can't argue any of your points, MSTA Nationals have certainly been west of the Mississippi. However, of the long established repeated local events, the Hill Country rally in Texas is pretty much it.
I do count Colorado as west. I was really tempted by both Colorado Springs and La Crosse (<---yeah, I know east of the river, but really close  :D ) but I had conflicts with COG commitments on those dates.

The key to improving coverage is building membership. I know the MSTA executive committee is working hard on that but it is an uphill battle.
Agreed, COG is working on it as well. It's an uphill battle for all things motorcycles these days, even the once huge BMW groups are dwindling.

Again. I'm just venting disappointment, not attacking either group. This Covid thing really screwed things up and I'm certainly not alone in that, but I had hopes for next year. I know that National rally planning can start 2 years ahead and it can be a problem to just postpone everything. However the rotation I expected COG's Southwest area to follow the Northwest area. I wanted to go to a western National and then head for Alaska. That was the plan this year and I guess (assuming post covid normal returns in 2021) I'll just have to make the Alaska trip by itself not associated with a national event. With my advancing age I don't think I can keep putting it off waiting for a western National from either group.
  I was disappointed that the groups weren't able to do more together, pretty sure that was COG's fault. Now that MSTA has partnered/associated (not sure of correct relationship nomenclature to use here) with BMWRA (they are also east in 2021  :( ) it's a missed opportunity. I'm not leaving either group, I just need to find another that has more to offer to my tastes, or just ride to rallys of only one or two in attendance.

For those of you reading this not associated with either group, you may wonder why I'm doing this here. The MSTA forum has relatively low participation (even though it is administered/handled very well by lather's expertise) and the COG forum just has too much of an iron grip over the forum (can't edit your own post after a weeks time without help/approval from a moderator) so I come here on relatively neutral ground to vent my disappointment. Pay it no mind, it's almost over. :'(
 ;D

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
(snippage)

For those of you reading this not associated with either group, you may wonder why I'm doing this here. The MSTA forum has relatively low participation (even though it is administered/handled very well by lather's expertise) and the COG forum just has too much of an iron grip over the forum (can't edit your own post after a weeks time without help/approval from a moderator) so I come here on relatively neutral ground to vent my disappointment. Pay it no mind, it's almost over. :'(
 ;D
Yeah, this is a real good place with  great folks.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 11:58:21 AM »
PM sent

Offline sport rider

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
I did it with ROSE (Riders Of the South East).  I couldn't give two sh!ts if anyone is disgruntled.  We have a fair number of cross-over membership, but a lot who are not Concours related.  we were going to have a get-together in northwest North Carolina, but COVID has it pretty locked down.  will be waiting until after the election in November when the virus vanishes to plan something more.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »
Overall interest in motorcycling, as well as almost everything that does not come from or live within a smart phone, is way down. Nothing to do with COG, just general outdoor recreational activities seem to be dropping off fairly rapidly, again seemingly because of the 'Nintendo generation'. Not criticizing that or anything / anyone here, just observing. I honestly believe in another 20, 30 years things like motorcycle ownership / miles ridden will be down a long way from where it is now.

COG may well take another hit when the 'C' in COG goes away, which by the looks will be next year. Sure the group will continue on, probably for a long time but without a fresh source of machines that form the basic interest in the group in the first place, I cannot see how the group can help but dwindle through attrition. Again, no one's fault, just the fact that the bikes are not selling well (motorcycles in general seem to be sliding in sales pretty rapidly) and so the line will be dropped due to simple economics.

And yep, Covid is not helping but it is quite likely that a vaccination(s) will be developed and that will, or at least should, pretty much end that problem. I do not see anything on the horizon that is going to help the dwindling interest in many hobbies / interests though.

Brian

<snip>

Agreed, COG is working on it as well. It's an uphill battle for all things motorcycles these days, even the once huge BMW groups are dwindling.

<snip> 

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »
I did it with ROSE (Riders Of the South East).  I couldn't give two sh!ts if anyone is disgruntled.  We have a fair number of cross-over membership, but a lot who are not Concours related.  we were going to have a get-together in northwest North Carolina, but COVID has it pretty locked down.  will be waiting until after the election in November when the virus vanishes to plan something more.

8)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 05:38:08 PM »

COG may well take another hit when the 'C' in COG goes away, which by the looks will be next year. Sure the group will continue on, probably for a long time but without a fresh source of machines that form the basic interest in the group in the first place, I cannot see how the group can help but dwindle through attrition. Again, no one's fault,....

NO, really it is the fault.. the future has been taken from the actual members, blended up in a disposable blender, and poured out for all.. it's a $#!+ sammich now, and if you take a bite.. well.. you become a drone.

I know Brian, you have tasted that sammich.. and found it not enjoyable.. lets not pour syrup or sugar on the bread, it does not make it sweeter..

when it goes titzup, it will be as a result of severe apathy, discord and all viable questions get quashed, and life goes on.. not conducive to the "club" I joined 17 years ago. Turned from a member supported group, to an oligarchy, or at the least, a system of .... "you don't like it, get out..."

sadly, a lot of COG folks, were told that.. myself included. sucks.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 05:14:09 AM »
Hey, that may all well be true but I was not addressing any of the internal workings of any organization; there are often more than one reason for things to fail, and your reason may well be a more important reason than the reason I mentioned. ??

My point was to address Marty and Bob's mentions of generally reduced motorcycle rides / rallys generally. And to add to that thought that this is an overall problem due to changes in society, specifically interest falling off in motorcycling rather than any specific group or brand's issue.

As to COG, my opinion does not matter as it is a private, dues- paying membership and I am not a member. That said, I still do have many friends who are active members of COG, Marty, Bob and yourself among many others, and I still actively participate in some local COG events such as tech. day where my wife and I have many good friends and I am happy to contribute what knowledge and minor skills I may have in assisting other Concours owners, as well as break bread and socialize with them- it is a day we very much look forward to each year. But it is very much a day (two days usually) spent with great old friends and some new friends who share a common interest. It also generally works out because we fit in quite well into the general demographic of sport- tourer riders regarding age, similar interests, outlooks, sense of humor and a share cultural history. I have no issue with COG at this point; I do have some opinions but I like to think I am far too cleaver to voice them 'cause 1) it is of no value to anyone IMO and 2) it absolutely will cause friction with at least one faction of the current issue, and perhaps all of them.   ;D ;)

My only real complaint around this issue (declining participation in rides / rallys / motorcycle groups) is that it looks like the Japanese sport tourers are going away, with a special emphasis on the C-14. I really like this bike and find it a fantastic value compared with everything else I have seen in the market. Certainly they will be available used for a bunch of years but accessories, new products and accessories and general tinkering on this model will simply go away, which is too bad from my point of view. I was still hoping to buy another new one but as my wife says, it looks like that train has sailed.....

Brian

NO, really it is the fault.. the future has been taken from the actual members, blended up in a disposable blender, and poured out for all.. it's a $#!+ sammich now, and if you take a bite.. well.. you become a drone.

I know Brian, you have tasted that sammich.. and found it not enjoyable.. lets not pour syrup or sugar on the bread, it does not make it sweeter..

when it goes titzup, it will be as a result of severe apathy, discord and all viable questions get quashed, and life goes on.. not conducive to the "club" I joined 17 years ago. Turned from a member supported group, to an oligarchy, or at the least, a system of .... "you don't like it, get out..."

sadly, a lot of COG folks, were told that.. myself included. sucks.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
 I cannot support a group, that disavows longtime member's as they did.  that said the participation of my feelings is dissolved from further convolutions. ride safe, and be healthy and shun the folks telling you "relax"..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:54:49 AM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »
Again, no one's fault, just the fact that the bikes are not selling well (motorcycles in general seem to be sliding in sales pretty rapidly) and so the line will be dropped due to simple economics.

Brian

Hate to break this to you but amazingly Indian's sales have increased dramatically over the last several months and the dealership in Fredericksburg, Va has had their best year ever since 2014.  I have no clue to the cause of this especially with Covid wrecking havoc......must be the bikes.

As to rallies and such, we are seeing fallout in that regard.  Just heard today that the major bike gathering in Colonial Beach this October has been cancelled.   We were all looking forward to this as Indian was going to be the major sponsor of the event instead of HD.  Indian corporate was involved as well.  We also have a yearly ride in late September (Skyline Ride) that we're worried might go that way as well as many out of state riders come to that and with the Covid restrictions might well indeed cause loss of riders and attendance.  I was really hoping this virus thing would have petered out by now but it really doesn't look like it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 11:16:49 PM »
Who started this mess anyway!........Oh, yeah, right,.. I did.

Well apparently I'm a liar and a blowhard. No, nobody called me that (at least not to my face, yet), but I have to put on the shoe if it fits.
Despite my disappointment of not having an "out west National Rally" next year, and my fist in the air verbiage/typing about not going east of
the Mississippi anymore......I wasn't counting on COG picking a location only one day's ride from my home. Maybe a day and a half if I take some of
the Natchez Trace to the rally. So I'm probably gonna go to it.
  :-[
(above paragraph typed with head bowed and hitting the keyboard so lightly that some of the text didn't even show up.)

(keyboard pounding resumes here)WELL,  I'M STILL DISAPPOINTED DARN IT!!!....and on top of that, the MSTA and COG once again didn't coordinate and they have their respective rallies on the same week so once again I won't see Bob (aka Lather) or other dual club members because they're probably going to be in West Virginia while I'm in Alabama.....and and...well COG better have the 2022 rally in the west...or...or..well, I'll start another thread about it, ..Yeah, that's what I'll do...that'll show 'em!.
 Harumph! >:(

Me-----↓

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 03:27:37 AM »
Mess? And here I was thinking we were just having a conversation, all pleasant and peaceful. My, you Texans sho' du get riled easy.

;) ;D

Brian

Who started this mess anyway!........Oh, yeah, right,.. I did.

<snip>

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:51:18 AM by B.D.F. »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 06:36:51 AM »

Hi Marty. It appears that you have a little egg on your face.
  {At first, I though it was bullet holes}   :rotflmao:

I was disappointed that the 2021 2020 didn't take place too.
  But I can't fault the Team.   The Virus messed up everyone's plans.
     Those guys worked hard...
So, kudo's to all that tried to make it happen.

For now, I'm looking forward to the 2022 2021..
The SE folks are working hard too, and have less time to get it ready.
   ie; They had to move their plans up from 2022 to 2021, and can't finalize anything till the Virus is whooped..

I'm gonna support them any way I can...
       I'll start with "Saaalute"!!

Bottom line; "I'm goin'...!!
           Ya'll are invited.

Ride safe, Ted

PS; Soooo, mebbe NW in  2023 2022..  :stirpot:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:21:17 AM by connie_rider »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 10:01:14 AM »
My, you Texans sho' du get riled easy.

Yeah, it must be the heat. Although between myself and MOB it did start off a little bit like Festivus which as I'm sure you'll recall
starts out with the airing of grievances. Thus my use of "Mess" , perhaps a bit harsh on my part.  Since I started off bitchin' and ended
up with plans on goin' my use of the word mess was sort of aimed at me...per usual, I should have counted to 10 25 and absorbed all
the facts and revelations that were forthcoming about the decision. One of the reasons I haven't stepped up to do more for COG or MSTA is that
I'm a hot head and rise to the boil way too quickly even at my advanced age. I think I might do more harm than good, or at best constanly have egg
on my face.

Now as for the heat, that would perhaps explain why Ted is off by a year??...but I think more likely he has been sippin' some of that
pallet wood aged hooch he's so famous for.

It' OK Ted, I FIFY , you just relax and keep on sippin'.  ;D

Hi Marty. It appears that you have a little egg on your face.
  {At first, I though it was bullet holes}   :rotflmao:

I was disappointed that the 2021 2020 didn't take place too.
  But I can't fault the Team.   The Virus messed up everyone's plans.
     Those guys worked hard...
So, kudo's to all that tried to make it happen.
Mebbe 2023 2022..

For now, I'm looking forward to the 2022.2021.
The SE folks are working hard too, and have less time to get it ready.
   ie; They had to move their plans up a year, and can't finalize anything till the Virus is whooped..
I'm gonna support them any way I can...
       I'll start with "Saaalute"!!

Bottom line; "I'm goin'...!!
           Ya'll are invited.

Ride safe, Ted

So if the SE folks had to move up a year (thanks SE guys and gals!) to 2021 from 2022, whom was originally planned for 2021 if the NW 2020 event had happened?
I'm guessing it would have been SW? So either NW or SW in 2022?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 11:13:39 AM »
Not to get anyone riled up but..... I think the whole rally / group ride thingy might be troublesome until an inoculation for Covid 19 is found. Everything else is just a proverbial band- aid; the vaccine will be the real 'cure' for this thing. Assuming of course that enough people get inoculated to give us herd immunity but again, I ain't even goin' there 'cause that is the proverbial powder keg.

No political animals were hurt in the typing of this post. :)

Brian

Yeah, it must be the heat. Although between myself and MOB it did start off a little bit like Festivus which as I'm sure you'll recall
starts out with the airing of grievances. Thus my use of "Mess" , perhaps a bit harsh on my part.  Since I started off bitchin' and ended
up with plans on goin' my use of the word mess was sort of aimed at me...per usual, I should have counted to 10 25 and absorbed all
the facts and revelations that were forthcoming about the decision. One of the reasons I haven't stepped up to do more for COG or MSTA is that
I'm a hot head and rise to the boil way too quickly even at my advanced age. I think I might do more harm than good, or at best constanly have egg
on my face.

Now as for the heat, that would perhaps explain why Ted is off by a year??...but I think more likely he has been sippin' some of that
pallet wood aged hooch he's so famous for.

It' OK Ted, I FIFY , you just relax and keep on sippin'.  ;D

So if the SE folks had to move up a year (thanks SE guys and gals!) to 2021 from 2022, whom was originally planned for 2021 if the NW 2020 event had happened?
I'm guessing it would have been SW? So either NW or SW in 2022?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »
....the vaccine will be the real 'cure' for this thing.

Agreed, group riding in general is OK but the relaxing afterward, swapin' lies, and
poking at each other's farkles in the parking lot, and group dinners all takes a big covid hit. I'm not going to any rally
(not even one in the west) unless there is either a huge reduction in covid cases or a viable vaccine is available
for my family and I. I'm planing a short trip with a buddy (yeah, out west) in September but we will be eating fast food
outside or in our separate hotel rooms. We normally share a room to reduce expenses but not this trip. Separate rooms
and separate beverage supplies. Probably wear our helmets in the room and talk through the walls with our Senas as we imbibe.
May have to get a straw for my riding buddy as he doesn't have a modular helmet.  ;D