Author Topic: Been gone a while, but Need advice...  (Read 1017 times)

Offline tomp

Been gone a while, but Need advice...
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »
Once was a very active member here, but sadly, the C14 had to go.  I have found an 08, with 69K miles on it,  Body is in great shape, and never dropped, by looking it over closely.  I can get it for around $4K OTD.  It has a CF aftermarket exhaust (no name) and a Power Commander installed.  Also no specific history on valve checks and TPMS battery changes. 

Since I've owned an 08, I know how they should ride, but don't want to test this one until I know that it is worth buying.  SO... with this info, what is the consensus on purchasing?  Oh, new tires, good brake pads, no leaks in the suspension or engine. 

I know many C14's have 100-200K miles with no real problems, but have made a few mistake purchases in the past decade, and want to refrain from doing so again. 

Thanks for any input, as my birthday is Tuesday, and I may want to gift myself with it, if it deems itself worthy.  tomp  dd50
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Been gone a while, but Need advice...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
I totaled my first 08 at 175,000 miles in 2017. I replaced it with an 08 with 50,000 and a small ding in the tank for 3500 from a second owner. There were no service records but since it ran flawlessly I assumed it had been serviced at least once. At 75,000 I changed the spark plugs and the air filter The filter was incredibly filthy and I becamed worried that the bike had never been serviced. So I checked the valve clearances and found the exhausts way tight: .005 and .006 (.0075 is the lower limit)
So I ended up spending another $800 to have the clearances adjusted. So from now on if I buy a high mileage bike with no service records I will factor in the cost of a valve adjustment.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:15 AM »
I too would take into account what a valve adjust is worth. Would also change/flush all fluids.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 03:34:19 PM »
AS I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER $4K TO SELL MY '08, all I can say is grab it, and go over it, do the cams, airfilter, and other stuff.. and enjoy it all.....  the Maintenance price is moot.. it must be done, so... in the long run, you have a win/win going...
ride safe,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tomp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 04:19:02 PM »
Thanks all.   Was thinking the same as you..  Unless documentation of maintenance and TPMS batteries is available, going to low ball the price a bit with that reasoning, and see what happens... Can't hurt.    tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
That Chick isn't coming back though. So just let it go.

8)
The grass isn't always greener.