Author Topic: Pikes Peak Ride  (Read 5902 times)

Offline BlueC14

Pikes Peak Ride
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
Looking for feedback on riding this mountain run.  We are making a ride to CO this July and want to include Pikes Peak if we have the time.  Obviously, this is not a ride to be taken lightly; I know it is one of the most dangerous in the nation.  My question has more to do with how to do it ... properly ...

We live in Texas, North Texas, and as most know this part of Texas is not known for mountains, but flat land.  We've ridden Arkansas' Ozarks and the Carolinas', Great Smoky Mountains (Blue Ridge Pky), including Tail of the Dragon, and West Texas' Twisted Sisters but that doesn't even come close to Pikes Peak ... I don't think.  How do you take on a ride like this and do it safely, while still having fun?  My concern is all the braking and shifting, and then there is making sure to not ride off the side of the mountain to one's certain and complete, death! I don't have a decade or more of riding experience but I want to make sure I do ... for the future.  ;D

Dreamed of being a Harley guy but Connie called me ...
1987 Honda Helix 250cc Scooter - bought/started riding in 2009 (sold)
2010 Kawa Concours14 / Ronnie's Highway Pegs, Kaoko Throttle Lock

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Pikes Peak Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
You looking to ride up there or race up there? Most SPORT-touring bikes perform poorly racing up a gravel road ;)

Other that that, watch the road, not the drop offs, you'll do fine.

Look me up if you have time, I'm a bit south of Estes Park. Can probably 'tour guide' for a day, all depending.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:13:06 AM »
Just thought I'd throw this out there from Wikipedia because I thought I heard it was getting paved:

Pursuant to the settlement agreed by the Sierra Club and the City of Colorado Springs, the unpaved portion of the Pikes Peak Highway is slated to become a hard-surface road, despite concerns that such a project would radically change the nature of the annual automobile and motorcycle race. Stated completion date for this paving project is 2012.[5] As of September 11, 2011, only 0.7 miles (1.1 km) miles of the road remains unpaved.

“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline BlueC14

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
You looking to ride up there or race up there? Most SPORT-touring bikes perform poorly racing up a gravel road ;)

Other that that, watch the road, not the drop offs, you'll do fine.

Look me up if you have time, I'm a bit south of Estes Park. Can probably 'tour guide' for a day, all depending.

Rick
Rick, I only do gravel when I don't know any better and there's no pavement to be found ... gravel scares the hell out of me!

June 29, we have a small group riding up from Alburquerque(sp?) through Four Corners, up the MDH with final destination to Crested Butte.  Once there the others may choose to stay put or do something more local to the area but a buddy of mine and I are considering the ride up Pikes which we know will require a night's stay somewhere else to get it done.

To have someone local be able to provide us a riding tour would be awesome and greatly appreciated, Rick.  I'm 45 and the others in our group are early to late 60's, riding Kawa's to Yamaha to majority of HD - total riders in our group will be 8 but not all may ride as a group once there and that is okay.  The youngin's ;-) are ready to explore!

Offline BlueC14

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
Just thought I'd throw this out there from Wikipedia because I thought I heard it was getting paved:

Pursuant to the settlement agreed by the Sierra Club and the City of Colorado Springs, the unpaved portion of the Pikes Peak Highway is slated to become a hard-surface road, despite concerns that such a project would radically change the nature of the annual automobile and motorcycle race. Stated completion date for this paving project is 2012.[5] As of September 11, 2011, only 0.7 miles (1.1 km) miles of the road remains unpaved.
Thank you, RFH87.  I was actually watching a video on YouTube last night of parts of Pikes Peak and it did appear as though much of it is now paved.  It's those unprotected edges that scare the heck out of me, along with the gravel and sand you can see spread across some areas of the road.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
Haven't been up there is a while but yes most if not all is paved now. But even paved there will be some sand and gravel on it. (the erosion is why the sierra club wants it paved) So just take it easy and you should not have any problem. But regardless, there at tons and tons of roads here in Colorado that will get your juices flowing. So bring it and you will not be disappointed.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »
I rode to the top of Pikes Peak two-up on an '87 Goldwing quite a few years ago. Long before there was any talk about paving the second half. I didn't mind it at all, but wife was scared the whole way up, and ESPECIALLY on the way back down.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »
I'm hoping to hit up Pikes Peak this year, as it's all paved now. For a little more "excitement", head up Mt Evans outside Idaho Springs. Paved all the way up, and some amazing views.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
Rick, I only do gravel when I don't know any better and there's no pavement to be found ... gravel scares the hell out of me!
Most of the gravel roads are hard pack gravel/sand/dirt/clay around here. Nothing like a gravel driveway!

June 29, we have a small group riding up from Alburquerque(sp?) through Four Corners, up the MDH with final destination to Crested Butte.

That's 400 miles of curvy twisty roads from my place, I might show up VERY late, if at all. hint hint ;)

MDH, stop at Silverton for a break. It'll be fairly touristy in the summer, but it's a very cool town none the less.

Leaving Silverton and on the MDH, watch the road not the trees. 2' tall guardrail in spots, narrow road, sharp turns, sheer drop offs.

BTW, Lizard Head pass (we 'name' a lot of our roads according to the passes) is to the west of MDH, it might be a pleasant four hour detour?

Northern terminus of the MDH:
1) Turn right at Montrose, continue to CO-92 and turn left. Sweet road :) At Hotchkiss, turn right, proceed to the Kebler Pass turn off (I don't know the number, but it's just before the lake/reservoir). This is 'gravel', and a back way into Crusty Butt.

Or

2) Continue on 550 to Delta, take a right, then proceed to CO-92. Stop in Crawford, say 'Hey' to Pam and Joe Cocker, continue on CO-92 to US-50, turn left toward Gunnison and Crusty Butt.

Slumgullion Pass (Lake City, S of Gunnison) may be worth a trip. Watch yer speed in towns, you've been warned.

And then there's Royal Gorge toll bridge W of Canon City . 1000+ feet above the river. And it's on the way to Pikes Peak too ;)

Rick

Offline BlueC14

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »
That is great info, Rick, thank you very much!  It's something I'll be printing to take along with and I bet we'll be including some part of it, too!

We actually have friends who summer in Lake City so this may definitely be an option to consider - they've made the invitation so who knows, we may just show up on their doorstep  :o

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
Sounds like you might be better off doing Mt. Evans -- paved to over 14,000'.

Or Trail Ridge Rd in Rocky Mtn National Park -- longest above timber line road in the USA.

Both are fine for average riders and are quite spectacular.

And if you are in Lake City, Wolf Creek Pass is another great road.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
You never mentioned how long you planned to be in CO, could help with routing suggestions ;) And how many miles per day is everyone comfortable with? 300 miles in the mountains can take a full day if you like stopping for pix and stuff.

From experience, a few towns are rather expensive in the summertime. Durango and Pagosa Springs are two that stick out. Especially for rooms. Frisco is a bargain compared to winter, so are may of the ski areas. Vail and Aspen are $ all year long.

Rick

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:19 PM »
Rick is spot on with those roads. And there are TONS of things to do/see/explore in CO. Maybe pick up Steve Farson's book http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado/dp/1884313922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337830897&sr=8-1 which has some great ideas for trip planning.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »
Ah, yes.  Wolf Creek Pass.
C. W. McCall "Wolf Creek Pass"
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
I'm hoping to hit up Pikes Peak this year, as it's all paved now. For a little more "excitement", head up Mt Evans outside Idaho Springs. Paved all the way up, and some amazing views.

+1 on Mt. Evans views! Isn't that like the highest altitude US highway in the country or something? Just be sure your older riders can handle the altitude!!
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline BlueC14

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
Wow!  What a great forum; a lot of fantastic information - thanks to all!

We will be in CO July 1- 6, riding up from Albuquerque June 29 and back down on the 6th.  Our "base camp" is Crested Butte but we plan on doing day rides at least 3 days of that time.  I would say that if everyone goes out as a group we're most comfortable with 200 mls or less.  There is a couple of us that are more likely to take out on a longer haul if the others decide to stay put.  I think the two of us who had thought about doing Pikes Peak have ultimately decided that it might be a bit much considering the miles we would have to cover - to and from.

Again, thanks for the great info and please keep it coming.  We've spent time planning the ride there and the ride back but no so much on the rides once there - ie., day rides.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
Wow!  What a great forum; a lot of fantastic information - thanks to all!

We will be in CO July 1- 6, riding up from Albuquerque June 29 and back down on the 6th.  Our "base camp" is Crested Butte but we plan on doing day rides at least 3 days of that time.  I would say that if everyone goes out as a group we're most comfortable with 200 mls or less.  There is a couple of us that are more likely to take out on a longer haul if the others decide to stay put.  I think the two of us who had thought about doing Pikes Peak have ultimately decided that it might be a bit much considering the miles we would have to cover - to and from.

Again, thanks for the great info and please keep it coming.  We've spent time planning the ride there and the ride back but no so much on the rides once there - ie., day rides.

Welcome to my back yard! You gotta do North Pass on 114 going south from Highway 50 to the east of Gunnison.
Then there's 92 the north rim of the black canyon of the Gunnison.
149 through Lake City
550 the "Million Dollar" highway
145 past Telluride
133 to Carbondale and then 82  over Independence pass
You just can't lose riding anywhere in the vicinity of Crested Butte

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 08:15:25 AM »
Welcome to my back yard! You gotta do North Pass on 114 going south from Highway 50 to the east of Gunnison.
Then there's 92 the north rim of the black canyon of the Gunnison.
149 through Lake City
550 the "Million Dollar" highway
145 past Telluride
133 to Carbondale and then 82  over Independence pass
You just can't lose riding anywhere in the vicinity of Crested Butte

Yep!  That pretty much says it all! :chugbeer:

'02 C-10