Author Topic: Brake fluid flush  (Read 1297 times)

Offline CoolBreeze

Brake fluid flush
« on: February 27, 2019, 07:26:20 PM »
I have an 09 ABS and want to flush my brake fluid this spring. This is my first bike with ABS. Can I use a vacuum bleeder and draw fresh fluid through the system like a conventional system?
Kevin L.
2009 Concours 14
MSF RiderCoach
Blue Knights ME VII

Offline jwh20

Re: Brake fluid flush
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
Yes, the brake lines flush and fill just like a non-ABS model.  I like to flush every time I change the oil.  Don't forget to flush the clutch fluid also.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
Yes, the brake lines flush and fill just like a non-ABS model.  I like to flush every time I change the oil.  Don't forget to flush the clutch fluid also.
[/quote

jwh, being you flush often ( my wifes hates when I don't) what have you found to be the easiest way to get to the clutch bleeder? Maybe depends on year also.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
what have you found to be the easiest way to get to the clutch bleeder? Maybe depends on year also.

Ug, there is no easy way.  Seems like a stupid angle on that damn nipple.  I will say I *WAS* able to get to that thing without removing all the plastics as instructed in the manual.  But it was difficult and require some bending of the flexible/rubbery areas (on the gen 2).  In retrospect, I am not sure it was any easier/safer.

Faced the same thing with the front turn signals.  If you know what you are doing, you CAN take out just the front and top bolts on that panel and bend it out just enough to scrape the hell out of your hand and replace that bulb... without taking off all the panels.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 04:18:51 AM »
I've found that if you undo the fasteners at the bottom of the shroud where they come together and remove the lower screws on the sides, you can split the halves enough to get to the clutch bleeder without having to take the fairings entirely off.

Offline Sturdivant

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 04:41:54 AM »
Didn't know that, jwh20. Neat trick. I take it it's completely safe to access the clutch bleeder that way? How many times have you done so?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:36:59 PM »
Great idea. Thanks. To bad someone doesnt make a flexible extension you could fish out the bottom.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jwh20

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
Didn't know that, jwh20. Neat trick. I take it it's completely safe to access the clutch bleeder that way? How many times have you done so?

If by safe you mean it doesn't break or stress the plastics, yes, I believe it is.  It moves pretty freely and you don't need to move it very far out to get to the bleeder valve.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 07:29:48 AM »

jwh, being you flush often ( my wifes hates when I don't) what have you found to be the easiest way to get to the clutch bleeder? Maybe depends on year also.

Wayne

For first gen C14s the clutch bleeder is easy to get at without opening up any plastic.

[smg id=659]
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn