Author Topic: What happens if we fall off the edge of our flat Earth?  (Read 15523 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What happens if we fall off the edge of our flat Earth?
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 02:03:08 PM »
Yeah, that is one method. The faster way is to just work with the running water and move on..... :-)

And our 'plug and plughole' (Hey, a big Easy Boys on that one!) are incorporated in our sinks and bathtubs so..... we just push / pull (Boys!) the drain lever if / when we want to fill the sink.

But to be honest, I have not filled a bathroom sink in.... ever that I can remember. The only thing I need standing water in the bathroom for is shaving, and I have a scuttle for that (state of the art, 1700's   :rotflmao: ). Except for those time I fill the scuttle and put it in the microwave to heat it, the very root definition of an anachronism I think....

Brian

P.S. This thread is de- railing from a thread about something stupid to a thread about nothing. Not sure if that is better, worse or just a lateral move. :-)

the technique is to put a plug in the plughole, mix the water in the bowl then wash your hands ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
To get this back on track, if the earth is flat where does the crap go when you flush the toilet?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »
To the other side of course.

Brian

To get this back on track, if the earth is flat where does the crap go when you flush the toilet?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
...But I still think this guy is just doing what he is doing for publicity, attention and very probably, in some way or another, money...

I may have to rethink my stance on Flat-earthers. (Note I'm referring to the people, not the theory)

Up until now, I'd always thought they were just a bunch of 'tongue-in-cheek' contrarians, but apparently some of them actually believe it.

(but I agree that this guy would tell you the moon IS made of cheese if he thought it'd get him some publicity or funding)

(if, of course, the moon isn't just another fake-news conspiracy)

Hmmm.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
[Serious mode ON]

People believe in all sorts of things that make no sense, are not supported by any evidence, in fact are discredited by ALL known evidence and so on. There seem to be several reasons for this, one being emotions of course but some other favorites include mental laziness (easier to just grab onto something, anything than invest the time to think about it), group mentality (YEAH, what he said!), pack mentality (if you ain't a-wid me, you must be agin' me), the infamous, and almost impossible to combat 'that is how he / she was raised' and several more. In fact, it seems that by far the greatest amounts of opinions, beliefs, likes / dislikes and so forth are NOT the product of logical thought and development but some other, 'it really does not make any sense' philosophy.

Just as a simple example: (and I am not going to discuss and especially not argue about this BTW), let us consider the general situation of Global Warming. Now most people have a very firm opinion on this, generally hard to one side (it does not exist) or the other side (it is destroying our planet). Fine and well. But how did they reach that conclusion? Well, it seems to be dependent, and exclusively dependent, on which political party they follow. Come again? Yep, it seems most people have joined their 'herd' and simply bellow their agreement with one of the two major political parties in the US. No logic, thought or consideration needed, and worse yet, wanted. So any 'discussion' of this matter is not discussion at all but belligerent support of that person's party, coupled with belittlement of the other persons' party. Simply amazing.

So, some people believe that the Earth is flat? Not really that surprising. In fact, almost surprising that a political party has not embraced this idea with the result being 30% to 40% of the population then believes the Earth is flat, due strictly to political affiliation..... all the while believing it is their own idea, of course.

The scary part of all of this is not that there was a significant portion of the planet under Nazi control at one time as a result of these flaws but that there have been many instances of this kind of social control over the millennia and continents.

So by all means, do re- think your stance on..... people. Just be prepared to shake with terror.

[serious mode OFF]

"Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car
Through all trials and tribulations,
We will travel every nation,
With my plastic Jesus I'll go far...... "

Brian (got to check my news feeds and see who I love, hate, and what I think about stuff in general.....)

I may have to rethink my stance on Flat-earthers. (Note I'm referring to the people, not the theory)

Up until now, I'd always thought they were just a bunch of 'tongue-in-cheek' contrarians, but apparently some of them actually believe it.

(but I agree that this guy would tell you the moon IS made of cheese if he thought it'd get him some publicity or funding)

(if, of course, the moon isn't just another fake-news conspiracy)

Hmmm.

Jamie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
My taps are all Hot on the left and cold to the right as well. In fact pretty much every tap I've used falls into that category IIRC :)

Standards are wonderful- when they are followed (or not conflicting ones).  Here is another: light switch- up is on, down is off.  Right is on, left is off.  Or rotary power, volume, burners, valves, locks, whatever- clockwise is usually on/open/louder/more/locked, counterclockwise (or for you, "anticlockwise") is off/close/softer/less/unlocked.  Or sticky push buttons- "in" is on, "out" is off.

That includes the bathroom ones which are single lever (pronounced leeee ver)

Not here- it is "LEH ver" :)  Like most single "e" words: "let" and "leper" and "leather."  The long "e" is when there are two e's, like "leep" and "keep" and "seep" and such.

Where I do believe there is a big difference is that you guys generally don't go in for this sort of setup where the taps are completely separate :)

No.  Here, too, when there are two single-temp faucets, the hot is ALWAYS on the left.  Although it is exceeding rare to see two totally separate taps/water streams- it is inconvenient and pretty much obsolete.

The less frequent conundrum is when there is a single lever and it moves FRONT TO BACK.... it seems the standard would be cold forward and hot backwards (away).  But those are pretty rare.

Sorry to jump back to the previous "sub topic" :)  It was more interesting than the crazy notion of a "flat earth."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
Geez Max, that post could use a couple of Easy Boys!, at least one Whoa Nelly! and a WTF (you seem unusually interested in levers and things that rotate, not that there is anything wrong with that   :rotflmao:  ).

Brian

Standards are wonderful- when they are followed (or not conflicting ones).  Here is another: light switch- up is on, down is off.  Right is on, left is off.  Or rotary power, volume, burners, valves, locks, whatever- clockwise is usually on/open/louder/more/locked, counterclockwise (or for you, "anticlockwise") is off/close/softer/less/unlocked.  Or sticky push buttons- "in" is on, "out" is off.

Not here- it is "LEH ver" :)  Like most single "e" words: "let" and "leper" and "leather."  The long "e" is when there are two e's, like "leep" and "keep" and "seep" and such.

No.  Here, too, when there are two single-temp faucets, the hot is ALWAYS on the left.  Although it is exceeding rare to see two totally separate taps/water streams- it is inconvenient and pretty much obsolete.

The less frequent conundrum is when there is a single lever and it moves FRONT TO BACK.... it seems the standard would be cold forward and hot backwards (away).  But those are pretty rare.

Sorry to jump back to the previous "sub topic" :)  It was more interesting than the crazy notion of a "flat earth."

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »
Shouldn't all the taps be cold? At least in the US. We like our beer cold.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/17/beer-on-tap-man-finds-entire-house-rigged-with-beer-in-epic-prank-4038455/

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »
Standards are wonderful- when they are followed (or not conflicting ones).  Here is another: light switch- up is on, down is off. .

Excepwhere you have 2 way switching for a light where one Switch is up and the other down  although you could put the down one up to turn on the light so they are both up.

equally both could be up at the same time

I agree its leh per as a lee per is a jumper.

Eg  (from an imaginary news story)
The leaper was identified as a leper

WTF is a "leep" when it's at home anyways?

(be alert , this forum needs lerts)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Shouldn't all the taps be cold? At least in the US. We like our beer cold.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/17/beer-on-tap-man-finds-entire-house-rigged-with-beer-in-epic-prank-4038455/

most premium lagers are served  between 42 and 48 degrees Fahrenheit (6 to 9 degrees Celsius) and quality ales between 44 and 52 degrees Fahrenheit (7 to 11 degrees Celsius). Serve authentic Stouts as warm as 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius), which is British cellar temperature.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 07:32:52 PM »
And let's not talk about which side of the car the steering wheel is supposed to go on, is it the on side or the off side? And which is which when what you're talking about is the other side of the road?  My Sunbeam Alpine had the steering wheel on the British off side, which is the American on side, which is the other side of the road in the other country.

Isn't "anti-clockwise" actually widdershins?

And what is anti-clockwise on a digital clock?

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
And what is anti-clockwise on a digital clock?

OK, don't start getting all philosophical and paradoxical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zes9n1zEmdU
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2017, 04:18:53 AM »

To Washington.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
To Washington.

Now wait just a minute, here!  I live close to Washington and somewhat downhill of aforesaid (word of the day) mentioned location.  If that place fills up it's headed my way!  An alternate location needs to be found.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
To Washington.

I thought most of our crap came FROM Washington (and I don't mean "the other" Washington where I live.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
OK, don't start getting all philosophical and paradoxical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zes9n1zEmdU

OK, so I looked at that video and found that it had been produced by my grandfather, whom I killed when I time-traveled way back before he fathered my father, and before Video was invented, which is NOT a true statement here on OUR Earth, but IS true on the OTHER Earth, where true statements don't "hold water" (their water, not OUR water).    My twin brother visited the OTHER Earth a few years ago, and when he got back he was nine years younger than me, and had gotten himself a pet raven (which is NOT black), and his digital watch was running backwards.

I have to go now, because one of our cats is scratching at the bedroom door, but I dare not open the door because according to Dr. Schrodinger, it might be alive or dead, but opening the door might kill it (if it isn’t already dead). 

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 11:47:01 PM »
Good post.

But are you sure your brother was nine years younger than you, or were you nine years older than he? These relativity issues can be tricky, why this one time (not sure of the exact time), I had a relative that was a real putz, and I worked for years on a way to make him 100 years older than me......

Brian

OK, so I looked at that video and found that it had been produced by my grandfather, whom I killed when I time-traveled way back before he fathered my father, and before Video was invented, which is NOT a true statement here on OUR Earth, but IS true on the OTHER Earth, where true statements don't "hold water" (their water, not OUR water).    My twin brother visited the OTHER Earth a few years ago, and when he got back he was nine years younger than me, and had gotten himself a pet raven (which is NOT black), and his digital watch was running backwards.

I have to go now, because one of our cats is scratching at the bedroom door, but I dare not open the door because according to Dr. Schrodinger, it might be alive or dead, but opening the door might kill it (if it isn’t already dead).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »

Pssst. hey Nosmo. Don't bogart that thing man, pass it over so I can have a hit or two. I wanna visit that place where you are too.  :cool:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn