Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128322 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
Oh boy...

Smells like a recall might be in the works for some TDIs.

Volkswagen Updating 2009-2012 TDI Cars to Prevent Potential Fueling Issues

http://wot.motortrend.com/volkswagen-updating-2009-2012-tdi-cars-to-prevent-potential-fueling-issues-369981.html#axzz2U2ZhhMoH

In an effort to prevent gasoline from being pumped into diesel-powered vehicles, Volkswagen will retrofit the fuel filler neck on certain TDI models. Damage caused by the wrong fuel isn’t covered under Volkswagen’s warranty policy. A notice was sent to dealers last week and the automaker will begin notifying customers of the service campaign on May 28, according to Automotive News.

The campaign affects 209,500 U.S. models and 51,600 vehicles in Canada including 2009-2012 Jetta sedans, 2010-2012 Golf hatchbacks, and 2009-2012 Jetta SportWagen/Golf Wagons. Volkswagen will install a misfueling guard and fuel filler neck that will only accept diesel nozzles. With the new parts installed, the fuel tank gate will remain closed if a smaller gasoline nozzle is installed. The parts will be installed for free and are already standard production for 2013-model-year TDI vehicles.

As sales of TDI models have increased, so has the number of complaints of stalled vehicles to the NHTSA. Volkswagen says that high-pressure fuel pump failures are due to gasoline being pumped into diesel fuel tanks. The agency has received 160 complaints and field reports related to the issue, many of them from the automaker. While the investigation hasn’t been upgraded to recall status, at this point it is considered an engineering analysis.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
I like my 2013 even more now.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »
Wow.  I guess it's VWs fault people can't figure out which nozzle to use >:(  This little update, recall, or whatever they call it will end up costing future buyers, aint no way VW is just going to eat it.  I think I will opt to not have the changes made, I like to fill er full and from what I just read it may not be possible...

Joel, is this "system" installed on the Passat?  If so, anything awckward about it?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2013, 04:44:47 AM »
I won't be getting this 'update' installed either. I'm fully aware that my diesel car requires diesel fuel only and I've never found myself reaching for the RUG gas pump when I really meant to reach for the diesel pump.  ::)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2013, 04:52:41 AM »
This isn't my car but this is what the 'update' looks like.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2013, 05:01:34 AM »
hehehe...GAZOLE

Offline Conrad

« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2013, 05:02:43 AM »
 ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
I think it's a good idea.  More people are buying diesels these days.  They need to make it more idiot proof.....  And one of these days, someone (Conrad) is going to be distracted and try fill it with gas  :doh: .  I know that I might make that mistake.  Now they really need something to prevent me from putting diesel in my C14 tank.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:59 AM »
That is one ugly piece and so unneeded.  If I loaned my car out I would so be there, but I don't so I won't.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #349 on: May 23, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »
I think it's a good idea.  More people are buying diesels these days.  They need to make it more idiot proof.....  And one of these days, someone (Conrad) is going to be distracted and try fill it with gas  :doh: .  I know that I might make that mistake.  Now they really need something to prevent me from putting diesel in my C14 tank.

Nope, that will never happen to me Jimah. Not too many things can distract me to that extent. It would have to be a VERY good lookin scantily clad woman walking past and in that case I wouldn't be pumping diesel or gas...   ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »
That is one ugly piece and so unneeded.  If I loaned my car out I would so be there, but I don't so I won't.

+1 I don't lend my vehicles out to anyone, nor would I ever borrow someone else's. My wife and I are the only people who drive our vehicles and she never fuels them, not in 36 years of marriage.   

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #351 on: May 23, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
Nope, that will never happen to me Jimah. Not too many things can distract me to that extent. It would have to be a VERY good lookin scantily clad woman walking past and in that case I wouldn't be pumping diesel or gas...   ;)

:rotflmao:   You're incorrigible.....  (word of the day)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #352 on: May 25, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »
I read the notification. It said the 2013s had the fix. Mine doesn't look like an erector set kit that was posted. Mine looks German/Tennessee. I think it is fine and the way it should be. I never had a 2012 though. I can see how people could forget and put the wrong stuff in. Especially when I let my wife drive it when I take the bike to work. EVERYDAY!!!! I just keep it full for her.
Joel from Maine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2013, 05:53:39 AM »
Smart move on your part.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2013, 06:19:15 AM »
I would never want to see that repair bill.
She loves the TDI compared to the Durango. We weed a six passenger when we all go somewhere, so we will keep it until Volkswagen makes their six passenger Diesel Hybrid about two years from now. I hope it is nice.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #355 on: May 27, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
Oh so, you already know the trick to getting the best price out of Sirus. Not everyone does.

I don't..  :(

Just picked up an Audi S4 w/Sirius free for like three months..

I'm pissed because the MLB package isn't available don't think I can get Sixx Sense either..  >:(
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #356 on: March 16, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »
I just traded my 2013 black Passat in for a 2014 blue Passat. The black one matched my 2011 and the blue one matches my 2010. I never thought about it until it was in the garage. They are giving great deals on these right now. And the trade in value on the tdis are great. They updated the 2014s with standard backup camera and an Onstar type setup for VWs.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #357 on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:06 AM »
$24,695 for a base Passat TDI SE. 0.9% for 5 years.

Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »
$24,695 for a base Passat TDI SE. 0.9% for 5 years.

Nice price! Did you get the $1k fuel card as well?

http://www.vw.com/en.html
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:27:13 AM by Conrad »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #359 on: March 17, 2014, 04:50:23 AM »
I don't..  :(

Just picked up an Audi S4 w/Sirius free for like three months..

I'm pissed because the MLB package isn't available don't think I can get Sixx Sense either..  >:(

Sorry I missed this Mike. The secret isn't such a secret but here you go. When your free 'preview' is about up you'll have to call Sirius and tell them that you'd like to continue with their service but not at the price they're asking. Tell them that you want the $25 for 6 months deal. You will have to be firm and threaten to cancel the service. Hold strong and you WILL get the 6 month deal. You'll have to call them and do the same thing each time you're up for renewal but they will give you that price. If they balk, tell them that you're happy to stream Pandora on your cell phone (even if you don't) for music in your car, they hate Pandora!