Author Topic: Help me with my midlife crisis C10 project  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Chrome Megaphone

Help me with my midlife crisis C10 project
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:29:46 AM »
Hello everyone, new guy here.  I know I should have started here before taking the dive.  This is what I got going on. 

Years ago I had a massively overbored Yamaha FJ1100 resleeved to 1300 with a Wiseco kit.  This was my last bike of many from 1983 to 2001.  Guess I watched and re-watched Top Gun one too many times in the past year, felt I needed something to ride while shaking my fist at airplanes, so I bought an '86 C10 from a dealer that a customer brought in for service and never ponied up for repairs.  Paint job is vintage '80 with hand painted pinstripes so I fell for it (originally was looking for a GPz 900 but man they are expensive today). 

The salesman told me the service tech told him it would run but overheat and had an oil leak.  I did some research, found Steve's videos, and thought "hell, all it is is the water pump".  Nope.  Upon bodywork disassembly I found rusty, fouled plugs, a yellow spark, two carbs overflowing gas, and no start even with starting fluid.  I ordered a 12 mm compression gauge adapter two weeks ago but grew impatient and decided "once more into the big bore breech".

Thus I have an assortment of parts here, some en route, and some on my list.  My goal is not a travelling bike, I did plenty of that two-up on tge air cooled Yamaha and honestly I'm not in a financial position to take the time off anymore (was working offshore making $$$ back in the day).  Just want a fun to ride vintage bike with semi-sporty looks and handling that revs to redline.  With that in mind here is what I have here or coming this week:

GPz900 cams, carbs
ZX10 Tomcat connecting rods
ZZR1100 pistons
Wiseco ZG1000 75.5 overbore head gasket
ZL1000 bevel drive

I don't have adjustable cam sprockets and a degree wheel, though going with stock timing marks should suffice (?)

Other than that have new tires & cleaned, polished and rebuilt the forks (no new springs yet).

Am I on the right path?  Suggestions? What about a ZX10 ignition box, is the curve more aggressive in that?

Thanks for having this forum guys.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

Re: Help me with my midlife crisis C10 project
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
Trying to upload pic, don't see the one sent as an attachment.  Sorry it's been a while since I've posted on a real message board

gpineau

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 12:09:32 PM »
If you are uploading pictures make sure they are not too big or they wont be uploaded at all.
You should get a warning about that when you commit your post.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
I did get that warning so resized and uploaded, went through.  Tried the img tag, even put it in my sig.
Raw url
https://ibb.co/FHmNH8v
Attaching a 58.81 kb img
Preview button not working...

btw thanks for replying  :chugbeer:
Edit: ah there it is in my sig :)

gpineau

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
 looks to be 100% complete. Fun project. ae you going to keep the artwork or repaint.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 07:24:56 PM »
Was thinking about slapping on a GPz front fairing but put that out of my head.  I'm sticking with the old school repaint it came with.  There's a few cracks that need repairing and has the dreaded turn signal corner breaks. I have a plan to reform those corners with aluminum body patch material under thin rubber sheet that blends into (under) the mirrors.

Got the seat back from the upholstery shop last week

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
Better view of seat.  Was glad to get rid of that hump!  Kinda '70s looking but that's ok.  Guy did a nice job.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 08:59:42 PM »
Pair of old Supertrapps.  I wonder if this is good or bad.
?
Edit: just noticed that brake caliper on it with suspension umloaded.  BAD
Edit edit:. It was just an optical illusion, doesn't hit.  Whew
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:55:48 AM by Chrome Megaphone »

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 07:59:04 AM »
The parts fairy left me these carbs Friday  :D
Cost about $100.  Shafts are stuck.  Will perform surgery tonight.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 08:00:19 AM »
And these cams.  $65 or thereabouts.  Lobes look ok...???

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 01:32:23 PM »
Pair of old Supertrapps.  I wonder if this is good or bad.
?
Edit: just noticed that brake caliper on it with suspension umloaded.  BAD
Edit edit:. It was just an optical illusion, doesn't hit.  Whew

Those Super Trapp's re rare as unobtanium any more, you were lucky to score them, and it looks like they have the full stack of 8 discs in them.. I have a set on my COGZilla bike, and only run 5 discs, and it's still loud.. my dog could hear me (seriously, she would go to the door and whine 5 minutes before I got to the house..) from 7 miles away. :o :o

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »
Those Super Trapp's re rare as unobtanium any more, you were lucky to score them, and it looks like they have the full stack of 8 discs in them.. I have a set on my COGZilla bike, and only run 5 discs, and it's still loud.. my dog could hear me (seriously, she would go to the door and whine 5 minutes before I got to the house..) from 7 miles away. :o :o
I haven't seen Supertrapps on street bikes for years either (other than H-D), confirms my hunch.  I had a first gen Yamaha Fazer 700, the 5 valve ones, with Supertrapps.  Made a wicked noise.  There was this black guy crossing the highway once, I dropped a gear and WAAAHHHH!!!! the dude started running for his life.  He was laughing at the shoulder, I was too.  :D

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »
Rods and pistons arrived.   8)

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 12:05:48 PM »
When/if this thing is done I promise to post 1/4 times from Houston Raceway Park ($20 is cheaper than dyno time) for comparison to 1986 release results.  Just to see what happens.

gpineau

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 06:39:07 PM »
Change the coolant hoses while your at it.  My 34 year old hoses finally gave up and left me a half mile from home. 

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
Change the coolant hoses while your at it.  My 34 year old hoses finally gave up and left me a half mile from home.
Good idea, especially since fairing disassembly is such a pain.
I'm going to keep updating this thread so I don't slack off.  Completing bodywork repairs tonight to get it out of the way.  Broken and cracked tabs and stuff.