The C10, aka Kawasaki Concours - The Original > Accessories and Modifications - C10

Grinding down pointy cams on C10 footpegs

(1/3) > >>

Stasch:
Thought I would post this up for new C10 owners going through their newly acquired machines.

Grinding down pointy cams on C10 footpegs

These pointed cams do not allow the footpeg to fold up enough, forcing the peg to leverage concentrated pressure on both the footpeg and bracket, often cracking or breaking one or both during a minor tip-over.

The OEM cost to replace these 2 parts is about $200 per side!  (about half that at Murph's).

Here's a simple fix anyone can do with a bench grinder to greatly reduce the likliehood of footpeg / bracket casualties.

Grind the cam down as shown by the red line.

The following pics show significantly smaller peg fold up angle resulting from relieving the cam point, effectively reducing it from being a pressure point during a tip-over.

OEM:

GROUND OFF:

connie_rider:
Well done Stasch.
That could help a lot of C-10 owners...

Ride safe, Ted

MAN OF BLUES:
Take it a step further, and grind even more off, it will not weaken the peg during use, and will actually allow it to roll up almost vertical.. we been doing this for years, as a pre-empted thing.

good job tho, take it a bit further... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
especially that big top "ear" part, that does nothing for strength, but instead, creates the "lever stop" that causes the fractures in the mounting bracket, when it folds up... silly design.

Boomer:
I just hope that the plastic that will now hit the ground hard after your peg refuses to sacrifice itself is cheaper than the replacement peg/carrier.  ;D

sport rider:
good idea for my cafe.  it'll lean a lot further than you guys silly old pigs.   :stirpot:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version