Author Topic: How to remove the stove nob unit  (Read 820 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
How to remove the stove nob unit
« on: July 21, 2021, 04:28:30 PM »
I asked this on the other site and got no replies. I am parting out my 09 and selling KIPAAS system and have the upper steering stem and stove knob unit off but unsure the best way to seperate the two. The manual says:

Steering Lock Unit Replacement
•Remove:
Steering Stem Head

Using a small chisel or punch, turn out the Torx bolts [A]. •Remove the steering lock unit

. Has anyone done this? I am a little dubious about "turning out" the bolts with a small chisel or punch.
It looks like the unit was attached to the steering stem with torx bolts and then the heads broken off for security.

It does not look like much surface to work on with a chisel or punch. My instinct is to drill them out but history has proven my instinct faulty many times.
Or maybe my eye/hand coordination just sucks ???
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Freddy

Re: How to remove the stove nob unit
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 05:54:10 PM »
I haven't removed one from a bike but I have on cars.  Yes, they are a shear bolts - the head shears off when at the correct torque.  Fred Harmon was the first to remove a steering lock assembly on these bikes as I recall.  Use the items described to remove them.  Usually they are not terribly tight.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 02:36:52 AM »
If you can't get them off, then just sell the upper triple tree with the switch as an assembly.
Many of those I have seen on eBay were sold that way, and many of those currently available are the same.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 06:42:07 AM »
If you can't get them off, then just sell the upper triple tree with the switch as an assembly.
Many of those I have seen on eBay were sold that way, and many of those currently available are the same.

Good idea!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.