Author Topic: I just got some Redline 5-40 motorcycle oil for $10.15 a qt!  (Read 1178 times)

Offline katata1100

I just got some Redline 5-40 motorcycle oil for $10.15 a qt!
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:11:50 PM »
Ok, I know, oil thread! But, a little different. If you are like me, you have a wife that says you have too many cars, too many motorcycles, why don't you sell one of them, yada yada yada. She will say you could save money on insurance,maintenance, maybe apply the money saved to get a new couch in the living room that you'll never want to sit on, you get the picture.
Spring is near, things need oil changes, where can you save money?
Easy, I went to a local oil wholesaler. He has some brands he can't sell to the public (like Hondaline) and others that he can (like Redline). Don't go and buy one or two quarts, you have to buy at least a case (that's 12 qts.). His price for 12 qts before taxes is $121.85, that's $10.15 a qt. Bike stores sell the same stuff for $16 a qt, heck, the group III "synthetic" bike oils at Autozone are more.
I got it from Interstate Oil of Sparks, I picked it up in person (I don't think they'll ship) and you can probably go to the Interstate oil in Sacramento to get the same deal.
Otherwise, if you are elsewhere, wouldn't hurt to look up oil dealers in the phone book and see if they can cut you a deal. I prefer a real pao/ester oil to a group III as it is. Compared to Rotella 5-40 at Walmart, Redline 5-40 is about $3 more per quart.
I used to go here all the time for oil for my cars, but then Penzoil and Valvoline and others were offering ridiculous deals with discounts and rebates which made their oil end up costing around $1-$2 a qt. I'd buy the stuff even when I didn't need it because it was so cheap. Seems like those days are long gone
and I won't pay over $10 a qt for a group III "synthetic". Oh, this place also sells Redline auto oil for $106 a case, that's less than $9 a qt- sounds good to me!

Offline Conrad

Re: I just got some Redline 5-40 motorcycle oil for $10.15 a qt!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:25:45 AM »
Castrol 06112 POWER 1 4T 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 1 Quart Bottle, 6 Pack $52.95 ($8.83/quart) w/free shipping.

https://smile.amazon.com/Castrol-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorcycle-Bottle/dp/B008MISDH4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Castrol+06112+POWER+1+4T+10W-40+Synthetic+Motorcycle+Oil&qid=1552055108&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I'm sure that you've heard this before but I can't help myself.

If you stored your bike over the winter you should have changed the oil before you stored it. That way it's not sitting for three months or more with dirty oil in it. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline katata1100

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:32:56 AM »
That Castrol is not synthetic, it’s a group III. Castrol won the USA lawsuit where they took Dino oil , hydrocracked and then claimed it was synthetic.
That would be called false advertising in Europe. In fact, you can buy the same oil over there but note
how they don’t make the claim of being synthetic ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-15046C-Racing-Engine-10W-40/dp/B002Q01YUC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=castrol+10-40+motorcycle+oil&qid=1552058812&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I will say that outside of this middleman, the other place I’ve gotten good deals on pap/ester oils has been off of amazon, liquimoly from Germany .

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »
Thanks for sharing Katata!

The bottom line is everyone has their favorite oil for a variety of reasons that have been debated down to the last digit of Pi in just about every forum I've ever read. And the number of folks who stick to a particular oil for a given vehicle is substantial. So, whether those who read this like Redline or not, the number that do will be substantial, and they will benefit from your info. And that's a good thing!

Like you, if I come across something good (good product, good service, good deal) I want to share it with my friends so they can enjoy it too - it's the "salesman" in me that enjoys sharing the love. So I appreciate the post, whether I'm a Redline fan or not.  What concerns me is if a post like this turns into debate, that will discourage well-meaning folks from sharing good deals, stc. in the future.

So, I'll finish my comment with nothing more than "thanks again"...and hopefully leave the "which oil is better" debate to the gazillion other oil posts out there!  ;)
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 05:17:20 PM »
I guess we'le never get an honest answer by reading Castrol literature...

can't say if it has to do with the word "Racing" or not...
https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/motorcycle-and-scooters/racing-oils/power-1-racing-4T-10W40.html

same site...
https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/motorcycle-and-scooters/engine-oils/power1-brand/power1.html

I dunno... I have some 4T racing, marked fully synthetic, on my bench right now... I'll use it...  run it for 7k miles.. and dump it...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
No debate at all, just saying if you want the best price on oil, check out a dealer. This same dealer can also give great prices on all the major group III stuff, I don’t remember the price , but he can also give a great price on valvoline or Mobil 1 car oil by the steel barrel !
That’s got to look pretty cool in the corner of the garage .
I think of oil as being Dino, Dino/ group III blend, group III or true synthetic. Pick your poison and pay as little as possible. Take the $ saved and spend it on some new Michelin’s .
The only oil brand I’m loyal to is torco Dino rear diff fluid- anything else in the rear end of my ‘06 GTO and it’ll clunk and pop. But that’s another story.... :)