Author Topic: newbie question COG c-14 v. FJR  (Read 9531 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: newbie question COG c-14 v. FJR
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 05:24:32 AM »
Currently a cruiser rider, looking to make the move to a sport touring bike. 
Had the chance recently to sit on both the fjr and C-14.  Despite the slight difference in seat height, i felt more comfortable on the Kawi., even though i am inseam challenged, and can't flat foot either.  I'm guessing the C-14 seat is narrower? Also, the C-14 felt much better shifting weight from side to side, is this a function of the center of gravity?
Chris

did you make sure the FJR seat was at the lowest setting?  An FJR with dual twobrothers exhaust pulled into Pucketts Grocery yesterday and man did that bike sound good!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 05:29:26 AM »
did you make sure the FJR seat was at the lowest setting?  An FJR with dual twobrothers exhaust pulled into Pucketts Grocery yesterday and man did that bike sound good!

<barf>
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 06:13:36 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 08:20:29 AM »
No offense to anyone, but I'll go with Mister Tee's answer, probably a result of ergonomics. Whatever the reason,  I'm more comfortable on the C-14, and I know that if I'm not comfortable, I won't enjoy the ride.

You'll have to go a LOT further than that to offend most of us here WW. We're a thick skinned lot here, most of us anyways.  :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
For the most part... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:26 AM »
You'll have to go a LOT further than that to offend most of us here WW. We're a thick skinned lot here, most of us anyways.  :)

+1...

And some of us even have mulitple skins...  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
You'll have to go a LOT further than that to offend most of us here WW. We're a thick skinned lot here, most of us anyways:)

Pokey is sensitive
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
And a Twit...

Offline Cuda

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
A Twit with a lot of guns
I think he should be outlawed,  he has more than 10 rounds and multiple avatars
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »
Currently a cruiser rider, looking to make the move to a sport touring bike. 
Had the chance recently to sit on both the fjr and C-14.  Despite the slight difference in seat height, i felt more comfortable on the Kawi., even though i am inseam challenged, and can't flat foot either.  I'm guessing the C-14 seat is narrower? Also, the C-14 felt much better shifting weight from side to side, is this a function of the center of gravity?
Chris

I am 5' 7" (30" inseam) and felt the exact same way.  Despite the published lower seat height on the FJR, it actually felt bigger/more ackward to me when I sat on it (it was in the low position) than compared to the C-14.

I just bought a new C-14 and had a Sargent low seat shipped to my house a few days later.  Strangely, the low seat doesn't really feel like it gave me much more purchase on the ground vs the stock seat.  Maybe it is more than I realize.

That said, I am still adjusting to the bike.  I can flat foot my Z1000 and it feels like a bicycle in comparison when trying to back them out of the garage.  But big girls need love too... .   :-*
My Kawasakis:
2012 Concours
2003 Z1000
1970 G4TR 100 Trail Boss

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
I am 5' 7" (30" inseam) and felt the exact same way.  Despite the published lower seat height on the FJR, it actually felt bigger/more ackward to me when I sat on it (it was in the low position) than compared to the C-14.

I just bought a new C-14 and had a Sargent low seat shipped to my house a few days later.  Strangely, the low seat doesn't really feel like it gave me much more purchase on the ground vs the stock seat.  Maybe it is more than I realize.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

Thanks for the link.  I don't think I am willing to lower the bike.

Have you tried any other seats--are there any that lower more than the Sargent?  I was originally going to buy a used Kawasaki low seat, but Sargent's specs indicated it was lower.

I am still debating on risers.
My Kawasakis:
2012 Concours
2003 Z1000
1970 G4TR 100 Trail Boss

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
My extreme sensitivity can only take so much, and I must say that I do like the new FJR. I would like to see the C14 a bit lighter and have a lower center of gravity, and 2 svelte "but lovely sounding" exhausts would also look much better too.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I don't think I am willing to lower the bike.

Have you tried any other seats--are there any that lower more than the Sargent?  I was originally going to buy a used Kawasaki low seat, but Sargent's specs indicated it was lower.

There is really nothing lower than the Sargent low.  Any gains after that have to come by lowering the bike and/or raising your boots.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
I'm 5'11" now,  getting old and shrinking, but I can flat foot with the  Corbin seat , I have a long body and shorter legs , I bought the 1" links from Percision though I have not installed them yet, I wish somone made 1/2 " link because that is all I really want, I know you can flat foot why do you want to go lower... BECAUSE , because this is one heavy sucker and I would feel better moving it around at 1MPH , once I'm moving light as a feather but at 1mph a load.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
I'm 5'11" now,

Standing height is not perfectly relational to leg length, which  is all that matters about "flat footing" the bike.  There is a relation, of course, but people are not all the same proportion. 

getting old and shrinking, but I can flat foot with the  Corbin seat , I have a long body and shorter legs , I bought the 1" links from Percision though I have not installed them yet, I wish somone made 1/2 " link because that is all I really want,

There is a lowering link system that is fully variable.  However, you will lose the center stand with that model.  But if you don't care about the stand, maybe you would be happier with the adjustable type.

I know you can flat foot why do you want to go lower... BECAUSE , because this is one heavy sucker and I would feel better moving it around at 1MPH , once I'm moving light as a feather but at 1mph a load.

I am 5'7", but like you, I have short legs, so I have to be extremely careful.  However, I still dropped the Concours at a stop because I let it tip too far.  The range of tip I can fight on this bike is much lower than on my previous bikes, even after lowering the seat and bike and raising my boots.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
,,,,,,raising my boots.

I got a good guy in Muncie IN. ;) He raised my SO's boots 5/8 inch. Looks pretty professional.  Being self conscious about her looks and height, she really does like the look as it is pretty well blended and not at all weildy or obstrusive to using her clutch or brakes,

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »
I got a good guy in Muncie IN. ;) He raised my SO's boots 5/8 inch. Looks pretty professional.  Being self conscious about her looks and height, she really does like the look as it is pretty well blended and not at all weildy or obstrusive to using her clutch or brakes,

Same previous thread, this is what was done to mine:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.msg2002#msg2002

It probably needed more heel, but toe was what was important, and it did make a big difference.  I might have been able to push it a little more if necessary, but at some point it would create problems with clutch workings.