Author Topic: Fork seals. Dealer work or elsewhere?  (Read 1251 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Fork seals. Dealer work or elsewhere?
« on: November 22, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »
I have fixed my seals with the Motion Pro SealMate a few times, but it isn't doing it anymore so with over 42k on the bike, it's time to get it done.

Would you go to the dealer for this or go somewhere else?

My dealer is 20 minutes away and of course I would need to get a ride home and then a ride to go get it and I was thinking maybe find a place in town, if there is one.

Thoughts?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline jwh20

Re: Fork seals. Dealer work or elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 06:44:41 PM »
Replacing fork seals is a relatively simply procedure, you might look into doing it yourself.   Alternatively, you could remove the forks from the bike and take them to the dealer or another motorcycle shop and have them do it.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »
Seems like removing the forks would be a big deal. Am I wrong?
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 08:27:39 AM »
If you can remove the front wheel, the rest is easy. Take off the front fender, remove the push pins from the triangular cover under the nose of the fairing and take out the cover, then loosen the fork pinch bolts and slide the forks out. If you want to service the forks yourself you'll need a seal driver, a fork oil level took, and the tool to compress the spring and remove the damper rod nut. This is a nice kit and very economical. https://traxxion.com/product/fork-service-tool-kit/
IBA #18591

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 04:51:04 PM »
I removed my forks and took them to the dealer to take care of the seals and fork fluid change.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »
I removed my forks and took them to the dealer to take care of the seals and fork fluid change.
So, just curious, how long did it take to remove them?
Scott

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »
LOL, probably a whole weekend.  I didn't stay at any Holiday Inn Express' before I did the work.  Did have the service manual handy though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 02:54:51 PM »
That's what I am scared of. I can work on things but if it's going to take me all day to do it, I would generally pay for somebody to do it instead.
Scott

Offline Gscott

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 03:40:26 AM »
Had mine done  1.9 hours labor at dealer.
09 ABS

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »
Thanks. I will be calling them today to see about an appt.
Scott