Author Topic: Super P!$$ed at myself, contact cleaner over spray on trim  (Read 11965 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Super P!$$ed at myself, contact cleaner over spray on trim
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
Tim you dumbass!!!!!!! I cannot believe you did that to my old girl, oh well it gives her character I reckon. Part is relatively cheap, just replace it and be done with it. Of course I do like MOB's sticker he posted. :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
Tim you dumbass!!!!!!! I cannot believe you did that to my old girl, oh well it gives her character I reckon. Part is relatively cheap, just replace it and be done with it. Of course I do like MOB's sticker he posted. :)
you know how I feel about stickers  ::)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 03:58:56 AM »
or even just a few tanks of gas, nowadays

$30 to fill a C14 here... >:(...lol.

Has anybody mentioned Mother's Back to Black? That stuff is pretty impressive...I've used it on the faded black plastics on my old 2008 Connie.

I use Contact cleaner for cleaning stuff all the time...never had a problem with it....or maybe I did and didn't notice...lol.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 05:33:47 AM »

Has anybody mentioned Mother's Back to Black? That stuff is pretty impressive...I've used it on the faded black plastics on my old 2008 Connie.

I use Contact cleaner for cleaning stuff all the time...never had a problem with it....or maybe I did and didn't notice...lol.

Rem 8)

Some contact cleaners are safe for use on plastics some are not. You need to know which kind you're using.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 05:42:07 AM »

Was mentioned... I personally have not used it (or similar). After reading reviews and such, it looks like it is only a  temporary fix, lasting a few weeks at most.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 05:52:15 AM »
you know how I feel about stickers  ::)

I love stickers, but then I'm a wild and crazy guy!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline clogan

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 06:05:10 AM »

Rem 8)

I've tried Back To Black on my car, but did not have long-lasting results. Looked good for a week or two, then worse. YMMV
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 01:54:37 PM »
Noticed that my made in china USB phone charging port wasn't working anymore. So i investigated the issue. Thought maybe i had a little fouling on the contacts in the USB plug, so i hit it with a little contact cleaner, AND OVER SPRAYED ONTO THE LH COVER PANEL !!!! and of course it dis colored it and looks like $h!T. Just thought id share my brain fart and now ill have to look at my screw up every time i throw a leg over her. And i tried trim cleaner/shiner, tire shine, WD40, brake fluid, tooh paste, dish soap, rubbing alcohol, window cleaner and nothing seemed to bring it back.. :(

I had a similar problem when my clutch line developed a very slow leak at the reservoir end of the hose.  The fluid would run down the line when the bike was parked and drip on the same panel you managed to damage.  As you have experienced, nothing I did would make the stain disappear.  My solution was hydro graphics as you can see in the pictures.  I chose this particular carbon fiber design to match the Knight guard tank protector.  Just about any design imaginable is available and the result is very nice.  It does not cost an arm and a leg to have it done and it is as durable as the clear coat that covers it.  Mine was somewhat water stained from riding in the rain when these photos were taken.  When clean, it looks very good.  Hydro graphics have been around for quite awhile now and those who provide this service are numerous and everywhere.

Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »
I really like that look, Bud.  :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »
does look very nice

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
does look very nice

To learn how this is done, just look up "hydro graphics" on Google search as there are numerous videos available that show how it's done.  The final outcome is then covered with a flexible clear coat that will be very durable and also be impervious to cracking when bent as these panels surely are when you remove them or when you put them back on the bike.  This process is used by bow makers and a bow certainly bends and flexes when it is used.  Guns of various types are also frequently done with some sort of camouflage design.  The clear coat or your choice can range from dull to shiny.  Mine is done with a satin clear coat as I did not want the bright reflection from the sun I would have experienced had I chosen a shiny finish.  I think mine looks a lot better than the stock flat black from Kawasaki.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
I love stickers, but then I'm a wild and crazy guy!

Twit power!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline tomp

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
Possibly some here cam help me with a somewhat similar problem.The PO of my 08 must have had very short legs or wore high heels, as there at bunches of scuff marks on the lumbar support  area of the light grey rider's seat.  Anyone know of what, if anything, will actually remove these scuffs, or is the texture of the vinyl permanently marred?   I know that ya can't see it while riding, but my eyes are drawn to it too often, when not on the seat...   
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
Possibly some here cam help me with a somewhat similar problem.The PO of my 08 must have had very short legs or wore high heels, as there at bunches of scuff marks on the lumbar support  area of the light grey rider's seat.  Anyone know of what, if anything, will actually remove these scuffs, or is the texture of the vinyl permanently marred?   I know that ya can't see it while riding, but my eyes are drawn to it too often, when not on the seat...

Some form of vinyl cleaner might work. 

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

Have you tried a Mr Clean Magic Eraser?  I used those on the seats of my 8 year old car and they looked like brand new
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline tomp

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
Went out and tried it.   Still some shadowing of the scuffs remain, but much better.  You can't imagine just how dirty a seat is, until you take a magic eraser to it.  Feels like it should be on the showroom floor, as a new seat.  Made it rougher and tackier though, and will be more difficult to slide around on it.  That is, until it gets dirty again.  Thanks, copdocpvd, for the tip.   
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
I had a similar problem when my clutch line developed a very slow leak at the reservoir end of the hose.  The fluid would run down the line when the bike was parked and drip on the same panel you managed to damage.  As you have experienced, nothing I did would make the stain disappear.  My solution was hydro graphics as you can see in the pictures.  I chose this particular carbon fiber design to match the Knight guard tank protector.  Just about any design imaginable is available and the result is very nice.  It does not cost an arm and a leg to have it done and it is as durable as the clear coat that covers it.  Mine was somewhat water stained from riding in the rain when these photos were taken.  When clean, it looks very good.  Hydro graphics have been around for quite awhile now and those who provide this service are numerous and everywhere.

Great looking way to dress up the area- Thanks

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
Some brake fluid leaked on mine and melted a couple of spots on the plastic. I sanded both sides and painted them with black vinyl dye. It looks better than factory.