Author Topic: zx14 owners  (Read 30755 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: zx14 owners
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »
If you take the spare key out of a fob, put it in the fuel cap and leave it there, you can do all that you mention without turning the bike off. Saves time 'cause you can go as soon as the pump handle is mostly in the well.... :-)

Brian,

I don't do those "hot" pit stops as much as I used to...lol, but they always made for good entertainment, especially for the other riders that needed a break...lol.

There's a local guy here with a burgundy '09 C14 that earned his TransCanada "Gold" IBA certification a few years ago. I don't know him well, but bumped into him in Bangor Maine a couple years ago and had a great chat with him about his journey. A good friend of mine built dual aluminum aux fuel tanks for him that mounted on the passenger pegs in front of both side cases. I believe the "standard" cross Canada IBA is completing it in 80 hours or less. In order to earn the "Gold" status, you must do it in under 72 hours. This guy did it in just under 72 hours...I forget the total miles, but it's upwards of 4000...maybe 3800 miles or so.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2014, 07:16:56 PM »
Quote from: B.D.F.
I got more than 30 hours out of my C-14 doing that one time. It did not end well but the start and middle part were OK.  ;D

Brian
[/quote
Don't leave us hanging  ??? What happened? :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
Yeah, sometimes in a [non long distance group] ride I forget, tank up and wait at the exit for everyone else only to realize they got of their bikes, hit the head, etc. Kinda' funny- I am in the wrong mode.

4K miles in 72 hrs. is not that bad- I think it would allow for two sleep periods of reasonable time. Then again, not sure what your speed limits are. Ours are generally 65 in the east, 70 in the near- midwest and 75 from the middle to the west coast.

Ours is CC50, one ocean to the other in 50 hrs. Not bad the southern route, Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA (or vice- versa) at 2,350 miles or so. A CC50 Gold, "The hard way" is any northern route, all of which are over 3K miles.

But I bet it would be harder yet on a ZX :-)

Brian

Brian,

I don't do those "hot" pit stops as much as I used to...lol, but they always made for good entertainment, especially for the other riders that needed a break...lol.

There's a local guy here with a burgundy '09 C14 that earned his TransCanada "Gold" IBA certification a few years ago. I don't know him well, but bumped into him in Bangor Maine a couple years ago and had a great chat with him about his journey. A good friend of mine built dual aluminum aux fuel tanks for him that mounted on the passenger pegs in front of both side cases. I believe the "standard" cross Canada IBA is completing it in 80 hours or less. In order to earn the "Gold" status, you must do it in under 72 hours. This guy did it in just under 72 hours...I forget the total miles, but it's upwards of 4000...maybe 3800 miles or so.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
Not to wander too far OFFTOPIC:

The first time went well- coast to coast (RI to Rye, NY (start) then to Ocean Shores, WA: 3132 miles, 47:52 time).

The second time I aborted the trip in South Dakota due to a hailstorm, almost perfectly at the 1/2 way point.

The third time: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9444.msg114721#msg114721   did not go well at all. Well, actually it was great for about the first three thousand miles or so but had a lousy finish.

Brian

[quote author=B.D.F.
I got more than 30 hours out of my C-14 doing that one time. It did not end well but the start and middle part were OK.  ;D

Brian

Don't leave us hanging  ??? What happened? :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tomp

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

But I bet it would be harder yet on a ZX :-)

Brian

YEP.  Just checked on cycle-ergo site and for me at 5'10" and 31" inseam on a ZX14.   I would have a forward lean of 39 degrees and hip angle of 59 degrees.  My wrists and neck would last possibly an hour at that tilt. 

Some of the supersport bikes have a forward lean closer to 45 degrees, which to me is insane, unless you are on a track... 

I like my 14 with 2" risers, just a little forward lean to allow my knees fit securely on the tank at hiway speeds.  You IBA guys and gals blow me away.  I can't imagine me in the saddle for thousands of continual miles. 

My congrats to all who do it.   tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
And what a nightmare it was getting the side fairings off... and I thought the ZX was difficult... OMG who designed that????  lol

Yeah, they are not exactly easy.  Then throw Canyon Cages on and it gets even more difficult.  But the fairings look good and perform well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
238, don't forget the ZX14 TBs!! 

Offline tomp

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2014, 11:53:32 AM »
ZX 14 TB's are larger than the C14's.  Common upgrade to larger ones...At least that's what I read from the statement.
Living in the Texas Coast...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »
Yes, the throttle bodies.  The shaft can be knife edged easier that removed.  The C14 TBs are 40mm each, the ZXs are 44.  I wouldn't say it is common, but a few of us have done it.  My old bike dynoed 161.5 at sea level, real life RWHP.  I think with vel stacks there will be more there in the mid to upper range.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2014, 06:22:44 AM »
I'm not sure about the following, but I believe there's some sort of sensor at the other end of the rod for the ECU to know where the flies are. That'd make the removal of the rod trigger some nasty error.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:19 AM »
There is and it would. A closed- loop system, meaning the sensor is reporting the realtime position of the secondary 'flies (actually the rod's rotation)  as it is a stepper motor driving it. The whole thing can be outwitted but it is just not worth it in anyone's opinion that I have heard of so far.

Brian

I'm not sure about the following, but I believe there's some sort of sensor at the other end of the rod for the ECU to know where the flies are. That'd make the removal of the rod trigger some nasty error.