Author Topic: gas guzzling machine?  (Read 12984 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: gas guzzling machine?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
also, spring for a new petcock. It will be time and money saved in the long run.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Jim __

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 08:04:30 AM »
While you're doing the carbs, do a valve adjustment and compression test.

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 10:44:42 AM »
spring and petcock rebuild kit are underway!

Today I took the carbs apart, cleaned them and installed new float needles. I found some dirt in the carbs, so it wasn't for nought. Only thing I can do now is drive 300km to see if the fuel consumption has improved!

I also did the CDI-rewire-power-mod.

Haven't checked the compression, the valves have been adjusted only 1000km ago. :)

Photography : www.masque-obscura.nl

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:28 PM »
 :popcorn:
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »
Did you check and/or reset the bowl fuel height since you had them so conveniently removed?  Please tell me if you didn't that you didn't mix parts up - otherwise, it will most-likely get worse now.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »
Yup. :) Everything should be fine. I got help from a well-experienced mechanic at the workshop.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:52:23 AM »
  you have the brass needle jet in your carburetor - clearly shown in the photo. That was discontinued in the US by 1985 due to the high wear and inability to properly meter measured fuel. That alone will cost you fuel economy is a big way. Remove them and look through with a light, you'll notice the hole is oblong or egg shaped as opposed to properly round. My advise would be to replace them, and also the slide needles if they are showing measurable wear. HTH, steve

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:31 PM »
BTW, I'm sure Steve will be more than happy to ship his needle kit to you if you'd like to buy it from him.  Much lighter than a full carb, so I'm sure the shipping costs would be worth it to you in the long run.

Steve has put a lot of research into his needle designs, utilizing a few of the group here as willing (and happy) guinea pigs over the years, and the reason so many of us are raving about him right now is because his products quite simply improve the performance of the bike, from both a power and an economy standpoint.  He's been working on Connies for well over a decade now (2-3 decades?) and he has a particular love for this bike.

I still remember the dyna charts 'here's the performance with this tweak, here's the performance with this other tweak, note the flat spot on the dyna chart at 'x' RPM range, and note how this change reduces that'.  Yes, Steve takes this stuff THAT seriously!

I've never seen an unhappy Steve customer on this forum, or on the previous version of this forum.  He makes great products, pure and simple.  The one time I remember reading about some issue (I think it was shipping related -something was damaged in transit or something), Steve fixed it in short order and again, happy customer!

In the Connie's case, the 'factory' version of the Connie is OK (really more than OK, she's a really fun bike), but it can be improved upon fairly easily for those that are mechanically inclined.  For those who are gearheads that like to do performance and efficiency tweaks, it's a good bike for that!  Plus it's no slouch to begin with, which is why I'm still a proud owner of mine!

Anyways, good to see you've got a handle on the problem, and let us know how you make out!  Connies are great bikes and I'm sure you can't wait to get back on the road once you've put the proper TLC into your carb rebuild.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
I'm one of the few guinea pigs, and yes, I'm a happy camper.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »
Tzigane  Any updates for us?   :popcorn: :popcorn:
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 01:35:43 AM »
Due to circumstances I've only been able to ride 80km or so, so I can't tell much yet. Bike runs fine though. :)

I'll definitely get back once I have more info.  :D

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
Just for reference, here are my stats:

over 18k miles (30,000 km) tracked
38.2 MPG (16:1 km/l)

I often wondered why a lot of folks were getting better mileage.  I attribute this to carrying too much weight, both me and my gear
I am 6'3" (1.9m) and 225 lbs (58 kilos).  I keep the bags on all the time, and will bring stuff that I rarely use just because

And I am also one of those weirdos here in the U.S. that wishes we had gone metric in the 70s when we started. 
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »
Thanks! 1:16 seems like a good mileage though. I'm hoping to get something like 1:18. That'll give me a range of 385 instead of only 300km.
I don't drive fast or hard and I'm only 60kg. (132 lbs, which also means this is the first bike I can't get up on the centre-stand on my own.  >:( I've owned heavy bikes before and had no trouble at all, but this one somehow requires more weight than I can provide. )

I have  a 250km ride to go tomorrow to photograph a wedding, so I can finally check the fuel consumption on the bike.

(And yes, not measuring in metrics sounds completely silly to me. :P Here, I'm terribly sorry to say, we often even make fun of it: "Do we need real measurements or American measurements?" - "American", which then results in using arbitrary and random amounts and lengths in whatever we're doing. I do get frustrated when trying to cook/bake American recipes using ambiguous and ridiculous measurements like "cups" and "spoons" though. )

(PS: Shouldn't 225 lbs be 102kg then? ;) )

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
at least we don't weigh ourselves with "stones"  8)  steve

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »

I'm only 60kg. (132 lbs, which also means this is the first bike I can't get up on the centre-stand on my own.  >:( I've owned heavy bikes before and had no trouble at all, but this one somehow requires more weight than I can provide.
The search feature can be your friend, Tzigane. Several different comments on help for the center stand issue. Sometimes a different technique  will help. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »
To take this topic sideways for a bit:

I'm 6'1", 195 pounds (that's .0018542 kilometers, and 0.0884505122 metric tonnes) and I had center stand troubles until I learned to develop the "muscle memory" to do it.  I started with the bike stripped down, (it was apart for maintenance anyway), no fuel tank, luggage, seat, etc.  I practiced until I got her up on the stand a dozen times or so, then gradually added stuff back until I could do it fully assembled.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
Not for nothin' but wasn't it the country with the funny measuring system that put men on the moon and brought them safely back?  8)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »
Not for nothin' but wasn't it the country with the funny measuring system that put men on the moon and brought them safely back?  8)

Well, yeah, but the same country (us, as in U.S.) lost a Mars probe because we got confused between the English system (only used in America) and metric (used in England and just about everywhere else). 

Details here:

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
Proves my point.  If we would have stuck with Americanese values instead of Metricese values it would have been easy peasy.    8)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Tzigane

• Photography
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Hahaha.  ;D

And thanks, I'll do some searching. I already came across some videos, but it didn't help so far. :)