Author Topic: Amber running lights?  (Read 11636 times)

Offline anycleavers

Amber running lights?
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »
On my '97, the front signal lights (amber) are on when ever the bike is running and they also function as my turn signals. But on the rear they are not lit and only function as my turn signals. Is this normal or should they also be on all the time?  Thanks
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Bluegray

Re: Amber running lights?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
That is normal.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »
Check your state laws regarding lighting.  Most likely they require running lights visible from the rear to be red, front running lights yellow, and turn signals yellow, and that may even be federal rule, I'm not sure.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:41:20 PM »
Check your state laws regarding lighting.  Most likely they require running lights visible from the rear to be red, front running lights yellow, and turn signals yellow, and that may even be federal rule, I'm not sure.

It varies by state but for most part you are not allowed to have amber rear facing running lights but you can have red rear facing running lights. Given that I've been converting my rear turns into running lights since the 80's and have yet to be stopped or ticketed for having amber rear facing running lights on any of my bikes through a good number of states. Now that is not to say the "YOU" will not get stopped and ticketed for it tomorrow but it has been my experience with LEO that if it appears to them that your only intension is to make your bike safer by way of being more noticeable that they are very tolerant of the law being bent. I have even been running "blue-dot" inserts in my brake lights and again have never been stopped or ticketed for them; I was in fact stopped the other day by a State Trooper for speeding and he never so much as said a word about my lighting variations and let me off with a warning about speeding.

To end this I use an SOS Priority Plus Brake Light Modulator/Turn Signal to Running Light Converter as while they are pricey they do make you much more visible by flashing your rear lights when you grab the brake.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:05:28 AM by T Cro ® »
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline medicevans

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:49:42 AM »
No, they're supposed to be off, but it's easy to make them running lights. Step by step here:
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/17/103/
And here:
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/24/103/
or here:
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/12/103/

I tried the first on on my shadow. It didn't work. Just operator error, I'm positive. Took it out and fabbed the second one up on a piece of breadboard.  It worked awesome and looked great. I was able to order red lenses from Clear Alternatives, but the don't have them for the C-10. If you didn't want to run ambers facing rear like Tony, you could paint the insides of the lenses with transparent paint from a model/hobby store.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »
The easiest way to convert your rear turn signals to running lights/turn signals is to use the front turn signals off of a Kawasaki EX500. These turn signals are already set up to be running lights/turn signals, you can usually find them for a few dollars on Ebay. They bolt right up, you just have to connect the running light wire into the Taillight wire and your good to go. I like the amber running lights on the rear due to the added visibility the amber light gives you in inclement weather, especially fog. I've been running the amber running lights on the rear for about 20 years and have not had an LEO say a word about them.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »
+1 on running amber running lights on the rear. I have done my own conversion on every bike I've ever owned by installing 1157 sockets (2 element bulbs) in place of the 1156 sockets (single element bulbs) that came on the bike. I also changed to 2357 bulbs, they are a few watts brighter for each element vs. the 1157's.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
Fantastic info, thanks. Now I have to figure out which mod to make.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:11:45 AM »
Wait, there's more! I don't think anyone covered the relay mod. This allows the use of your existing lights with the existing bulbs and sockets. The lights would be always on, and flash completely off and on when the signal is operated. The relay is wired so that power from the marker light circuit is going through the normally closed contacts of the relay to the light bulb. The signal light wire for that side (2 relays are required, 1 for each side) triggers the relay to open the closed connection each time it flashes, causing the light to flash off each time the signal lead gets power.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline medicevans

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 06:13:34 AM »
Nope, beat you to it. It's the second link (I think) I listed. It's the one I did. It works great.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 06:15:16 AM »
Yep, I just looked as I hadn't checked the links previously, sorry!
COG 9331

Offline medicevans

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:06 AM »
It was a good explanation of how it works though. It's good to note though that unless you replace your flasher with an electronic flasher your signals will blink double time. Also, your fronts will flash opposite your rears.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 06:36:57 AM »
Here be some info and links to the product that I described above and have used for roughly than 25 years.....

http://www.soundoffrec.com/products.aspx

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Sound-Off-Recreational-SOS-PRIORITY-PLUS-MLPLPO-P-p/tr07-4051.htm
Tony P. Crochet

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »
Is there a clear lens that fits the rear signals?  Isn't there an LED 1157 that is available with both red and amber built in?  Does anyone have the part number or bike the lens comes from?  What about the front signal?  Is a clear available for that one too?  I'm rebuilding my dad's connie and this might be a cool item to do.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:21 AM »
Is there a clear lens that fits the rear signals?  Isn't there an LED 1157 that is available with both red and amber built in?  Does anyone have the part number or bike the lens comes from?  What about the front signal?  Is a clear available for that one too?  I'm rebuilding my dad's connie and this might be a cool item to do.

Nothing but amber for the front..... I've heard of clear, red, and smoke for the rear or better yet look for front of the EX500 for the alternative colored lens. There is an LED kit that change do the color change you speak of but I can't recall where; try starting with www.electricalconnection.com
Tony P. Crochet

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
Yep, this is the one I was remembering... http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/tsk-std.htm
COG 9331

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
That just scored high on the future farkle list.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 06:45:26 AM »
Resurecting an old thread here, I know. I just did the "relay" version of this mod on 2 different bikes, first my son's '95 750 Nighthawk. Everything worked out great, amber running lights and turn signals. Next I did my wifes new 2014 Honda CTX and the lights look great, but flash double speed when using the turn signals. I see this mentioed in the thread and that I need to get electronic flasher unit(s), but why did it work on the old Nighthawk and not the new CTX? I know it has to do with current draw through the flasher unit and how quickly the resistive bar inside the unit heats up, but I'm still puzzled why it worked with just the relay's on the old bike, but I need to replace the flasher on the new bike. Any idea's?
COG 9331

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »
Resurecting an old thread here, I know. I just did the "relay" version of this mod on 2 different bikes, first my son's '95 750 Nighthawk. Everything worked out great, amber running lights and turn signals. Next I did my wifes new 2014 Honda CTX and the lights look great, but flash double speed when using the turn signals. I see this mentioed in the thread and that I need to get electronic flasher unit(s), but why did it work on the old Nighthawk and not the new CTX? I know it has to do with current draw through the flasher unit and how quickly the resistive bar inside the unit heats up, but I'm still puzzled why it worked with just the relay's on the old bike, but I need to replace the flasher on the new bike. Any idea's?
It's possible that the old bike had an electronic relay, while the newer bike has a thermal relay.  Weird, but possible.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157