Author Topic: Best bike I found for hauling on work trips  (Read 8077 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Best bike I found for hauling on work trips
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »
Last June I had the opportunity to do an extended work trip to NM and CA.  I put my KLX250S in the truck bed and packed up some camping gear for my off days.  I used that little bike to it's limits on that trip.  70 mph indicated was all she would give me and the knobbies wore out real fast on the pavement. 

Here are some highlight photos.

Camping near Alamogordo, NM

Riding jeep trails with from 4000 to 7000 foot elevation

Near Cloudcroft, NM

Ventura Pier

Mountain roads east and north of Ventura

Camping near Hearst Castle

Pacific Coast Highway from Hearst Castle to Monterey

San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff

The KLX250S is a sub 300 lb motorcycle.  It is great for what it is designed for.  After that trip, I started researching lightweight street bikes that would be more capable than the little dual sport but as light as possible.

I even tried loading my Moto Guzzi CafĂ© Classic and did haul my Versys 650 which told me I need a bike under 400 lbs.  Both bikes required 3 ramps for me to balance them while loading and unloading.

Here is the Versys in the truck.  Not easy to load and unload and affected fuel economy.

I looked and test rode several bikes.  The KTM Duke 390, Duke 690, Honda CB300F were ones I test rode.  They are all single cylinder bikes and didn't check all the boxes.  The Honda 500s are well over 400lbs which was the limit I put on myself.  I also rode the Ducati Scrambler even though it was over 400lbs.  The bike that kept popping up was the Yamaha FZ-07.  Wet weight under 400 lbs.  Plenty of power.  Can mount shields and hard bags if wanted.  There were no deals to be made on the FZ-07 though so I decided to wait for a used one or a leftover.

This past Saturday I did a search and found a great price on a leftover 2015.  The only problem was that the bike was 6 hours away and I had time constraints that kept me from making the drive.  I decided to call all the dealers within 3 hours and see what I could do.  I found this one an hour from my house.  I did have to pay a little more, but in the end decided it was worth it.

As you can see compared to the Versys in the truck, this one will be more stream lined and was easy to load and unload with one ramp.

Oh, and the dealer threw in the 2015 poster to sweeten the deal as well as cost plus 10 percent on accessories.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Best bike I found for hauling on work trips
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 01:33:37 PM »
Nice pics. I fell in love with New Mexico when my son was stationed at Cannon AFB. Are you going to dress the new bike for off road duties?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
Nice pics. I fell in love with New Mexico when my son was stationed at Cannon AFB. Are you going to dress the new bike for off road duties?

No, I will haul the dual sport if off-road is on the agenda.   Of course gravel and dirt roads won't be a problem on the FZ-07
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »
Was in Cloudcroft this past summer. Loved it. Camped at Carlsbad for a few days. 8)
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
Good looking machine!
How does it ride/handle?

I've been looking at the 650 Ninja for similar reasons.
Lower weight and seat height.
I think the Ninja has the same basic engine as the 650 Versys an seat height is lower, but haven't looked at weight..

I briefly looked at the FZ-07 and liked it.
 Will give it another look over based on your new ride.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:54:42 PM by connie_rider »

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »
Good looking machine!
How does it ride/handle?

I've been looking at the 650 Ninja for similar reasons.
Lower weight and seat height.
I think the Ninja has the same basic engine as the 650 Ninja an it's lower, but haven't looked at weight..

I briefly looked at the FZ-07 and liked it.
 Will give it another look over based on your new ride.

Ride safe, Ted

Haven't been able to ride it yet.  Got it home and headed out of town.  Will get it registered Friday, and hope to break it in over the weekend.

It weighs about 50 lbs less than the Ninja, and more power.
My Concours Travels: