Author Topic: For those who are headed to the Dragon this weekend  (Read 2143 times)

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
For those who are headed to the Dragon this weekend
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/sep/10/state-troopers-mount-motorcycles-for-enforcement/

Besides the troopers on bikes Maggy Valley has the Thunder in the Smokies Rally https://www.facebook.com/ThunderInTheSmokies/photos_stream which one website boasts

See more than 21,900 images

thunder in the smokies photos - biker chicks party naked pictures

I think I'll go over to SOutheast Ohio and hit some twisties this weekend instead

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline insignificant

Re: For those who are headed to the Dragon this weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
I just got back from the Robbinsville area last night. LOTS of LEO's on weekends, almost none on weekdays. We were there for a week and only rode the full dragon once. There are just so many better roads there. Two accidents on Cherohala this past Saturday. One fatality near Thunder mountain, and a four bike collision further up the skyway with at least 3 riders getting a helo ride to hospital. One rider crossed center line and hit a bike coming opposite direction head-on. Two other riders couldn't stop and plowed into the accident scene. One rider had his foot completely severed. Watch out for the other guy. Sorry for the thread jack.   Steve

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
I remember my first motorcycle trip to the Smokies.  GWRRA rally in Pigeon Forge and HOG rally in Cherokee.  Roads were FULL of bikes.  Cruisers on the dragon made that a bad ride, but nothing compared to duck walking the bike all the way through Cherokee trying to get to the Park to get back over the gap to Gatlinburg.  The topless girls on the tank barrel made for a nice distraction though.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
Good info bird, thanks. I'm not planning to go but its always nice to know just in case. Weekends seem to be the time for many to ride places like that for obvious reasons, also the same reason for me to avoid places like that. As stated, so many, many more interesting roads in that area that are much less travelled.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
As stated, so many, many more interesting roads in that area that are much less travelled.

Do we have a repository of good roads as alternatives in a thread here? I searched and could not find. WOuld be nice to post maps for others to see of routes we have taken in areas that are common destinations. My friends tell me about back of the Dragon and the Snake .....would be nice to have a place where we could download map files for future use.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline clogan

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
The Dragon has become so popular, so crowded, nobody goes there any more!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400