Author Topic: dumb light question  (Read 3094 times)

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
dumb light question
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
i see lights on cars/bikes that have a blueish tint to them. do they offer better visibility? or is it just cosmetic? what are they called? do they have them for c14's?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: dumb light question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
HID Lighting High Intensity Discharge is a new lighting concept used on cars and some bikes today; to which you can do a re-fit to HID for a modest price and it does work VERY well and lots of us have done it. Stay away from blue tint bulbs that mimick the HID lighting as they do rob you of lighting.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »
I have to add that doing the HID conversion on my bike was one of the best things I've ever done.  I used to hate riding at night because of the crappy motorcycle headlights.  Now?  No biggie.  They're great lights they are.
I feel like a new person!

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
wonder if i can still use my headlight modulator?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
wonder if i can still use my headlight modulator?

NO.... HID requires a high voltage ballast and will not tolerate the high speed switching. But you could get creative with your driving lights to do the modulation.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:06:12 AM »
I have to add that doing the HID conversion on my bike was one of the best things I've ever done.  I used to hate riding at night because of the crappy motorcycle headlights.  Now?  No biggie.  They're great lights they are.

+1  ;)   I added a HID bulb to mine and now just the single bulb lights stuff up better at night than our other vehicles do with two typical halogen bulbs.  HID upgrades coming for them soon enough!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:06:22 AM »
You cannot merely add a HID bulb and have HID lighting. It requires an entire system with a ballast and other circuitry.
Anyone who says they have a bulb that converts your lighting to a HID system is selling snake oil.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
NO.... HID requires a high voltage ballast and will not tolerate the high speed switching. But you could get creative with your driving lights to do the modulation.

Modulating anything other than your main headlight could (sooner or later) attract unwanted attention from law enforcement - local boy on "lit up" Harley got BIG trouble for having "flashing" driving lights.  Seems county sheriff and local judge agreed his flashing lights were proof he was "impersonating" a law officer.   ???   

One of my riding buds carries a copy of an article about headlight modulators being "legal" in all 50 states because he has been stopped a LOT by local law enforcement for "illegal headlight" while riding the backroad twisties in NE Okla. 
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)