Author Topic: Rostra Install 2011  (Read 4733 times)

Offline KCCINDY

Rostra Install 2011
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
I am taking my 2011 Concours to a highly qualified motorcycle technician tomorrow so he can install a Rostra with Murphs mounting bracket, relay, and lit control panel. I have printed BDF's (Brian D. Felice) tutorial on wiring and mounting, asked Brian about via email if there are changes in wiring from the earlier 2008-09 to my 2011 and he was kind enough to respond that there there are not, as far as he knows. I have also printed out some other wiring diagrams, dip switch settings, and forum chatter about California models and alternative mounting locations, etc.. I'm feeling fairly confident that we are good to go.

Now, at this very last minute, I would like to ask the Forum if anyone has any great advice that they would care to share that would make the install better, easier, more time efficient, etc.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Rostra Install 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »
If the mounting bracket your referring to is for the control panel, then unless Murph has changed it in the last 3 years it wont work on your 2011. The shield for the grip heater wire on the throttle side gets in the way of using that bracket. It's easy enough to fab another bracket. I mounted mine on the left side.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »

One word of advice. Brian Felice and Fred Harmon are genuis's. I am absolutely positive of that fact. When I installed my Rostra, I ended up soliciting the help of an equally qualified Concours mechanic and dealership owner and both of us were stumpted on wiring for the lighted control until we got a wiring diagram from Fred. It is now available here:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,50354.0.html

I would urge you to get that to your installer. It helps a bunch.

Fork

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:05:50 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:08:57 PM »
That does seem like a maximum list, Jim.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
 :rotflmao:   Better to have too much information than not enough...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »
Absolutely true!

As long as one doesn't get 'paralysis by analysis'  :-\  ???  :o  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »
People may laugh at that comment but I've actually seen it in individuals.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
To name a few threads on the subject...

I think you are trying to steal my trademark...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Wow, that has not been my impression regarding Brian. In fact, all the stupid things I have seen a human do in a garage have been performed by him- sometimes in spite of my timely warnings.

Kirby

One word of advice. Brian Felice and Fred Harmon are genuis's. I am absolutely positive of that fact. When I installed my Rostra, I ended up soliciting the help of an equally qualified Concours mechanic and dealership owner and both of us were stumpted on wiring for the lighted control until we got a wiring diagram from Fred. It is now available here:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,50354.0.html

I would urge you to get that to your installer. It helps a bunch.

Fork
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »
If the mounting bracket your referring to is for the control panel, then unless Murph has changed it in the last 3 years it wont work on your 2011. The shield for the grip heater wire on the throttle side gets in the way of using that bracket. It's easy enough to fab another bracket. I mounted mine on the left side.

I just removed the plastic shield by the way and used Murph's mounting bracket. That shield is there more for esthetics than it is protection. My 2 cents.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
I think you are trying to steal my trademark...

:doh:

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
You can save time by tapping into the brake wire in the front right side bundle instead of running wires to the back of the bike. Also, I used murphs mounting plate on the left side. I mounted it to one of the bolt holes holding the left control housing to the bars, I replaced the stock bolt with a flat head screw that fits flush  into the hole in the bracket.
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 06:14:52 AM »
Wow, that has not been my impression regarding Brian. In fact, all the stupid things I have seen a human do in a garage have been performed by him- sometimes in spite of my timely warnings.

Kirby

:rotflmao: