Author Topic: Bought a new bike today  (Read 8726 times)

Offline jjsC6

Re: Bought a new bike today
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »
Well spent money...and i here the BMW FOB works on the luggage and such too.

I haven't had my arse on a BMW sport tourer because I'm terrified I'd get the check book out.  I'm looking for a S1000RR but unlike the jap bikes I can't find one discounted anywhere, even on a fly and ride

I'll bet if you walked in with your checkbook in hand you could get a discount.  My dealer is a small dealer and they have five of them on the floor.  I've gotten to know them pretty well and will back in there soon.  I will ask them and let you know what I find out.

Nice bike!  The GT or GTL is on my bike bucket list, maybe bike after next.  That's some serious money,  I need to save for a while.

My wife and I looked at them in March.  She's still going on about how comfortable the GTL seat was.  Keeps asking me why my $600 custom seat on the C14 doesn't feel as good.

I'm guessing you ordered the GTL Top case?  All the new BMW top cases interchange if you didn't know.

Yes, I have a GTL top case coming  - should be here any day.  I know they are interchangeable, but I am making the passenger back rest with GTL parts to make it as comfy as possible for my wife.  It won't be as comfy as our Goldwing, but I'm getting it as close as possible.

Interesting....if I were to pick though, I would pick the GTL. To me, they seem essentially the same bike. Might as well go with a bit more comfort since the GT is not quite the 'sport' that C14 is. If I am going more touring, might as well go the full length - especially if I am replacing a Gold Wing. Again, just my opinion. I am sure you have had your reasons for chosing the GT over GTL.

The GT has ergos that are more like the Concours whereas the GTL footpegs are lower and the handlebars are closer.  I like the sportier ergos.  Also, the GT has slighly firmer suspension settings.  Mine does have the electronically adjustable suspension, but all of the settings are firmer.  That is why I bought the GT but am adding the GTL passenger accommodations.  I want the front seat to be a SPORT/tourer and the back seat to be a sport/TOURER.

Did you have the chance to try the GTL (lower) seat? I did, didn't like it one bit, and neither did my girlfriend. Somebody mentioned here why: it's so wide that it covers the handles and renders them useless, so she was completely loose when braking. But glad you got your self the GT bike, with more leaning angle and the more forward handlebar. I see you've got a different shield too. What is it?
Oh, and congrats on the new bike! I noticed that BMW improved the slack on the transmission and it's now on the acceptable side, with not as much play as before. Actually, almost C14 play levels. If they only improved the gear changing as well  :-X
I hope you are not as sensitive as I am to the whining of the gears on the generator. I have to wear earplugs every single time I even think of riding this bike.

I don't like the GTL low seat either.  In fact, I asked them to make sure the GTL seat they sold me was not the low one.  Even the taller one is a little lower.  When I ride the bike myself - which is 95% of the time, it will have the GT seat on it.  In fact, I just put it back on tonight.  BTW, the 2013 GTL's built after Oct 1 have different grab handles that are bigger and higher for the passenger to grab onto.  That got a lot of complaints.  I will ask my wife if she is okay with the lower ones - otherwise I'll be spending a few hundred dollars more on the new ones.  I'm in so deep already that I will not stop until I get it right!!!  Look at the pics in this link and you can see how they grab handles are bowed up on the 2013 GTL....

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2013models/2013-BMW-K1600GTL.htm

Thanks for all the positive responses - very much appreciated.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
Depends on the C14...

or eight 2004 C-10's off a CycleTrader...  Just saying

Nice ride there.   :thumbs:
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline eng943

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 07:13:30 AM »
I really liked my K1600GT, and I'm sure you are going to do so as well. I think you are going to be very surprised at how light it steers and handles. The K16GT handles really well, and makes mid corner corrections very smartly. It may take you some time to get used to the duolever front end, but I think you will come to love the absence of brake dive, and the rock solid stability of the front end.

No dismissing the tremndous value and capability of the C14, but the K16GT is on an entirely different level. Enjoy, and great color btw!

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
I really liked my K1600GT, and I'm sure you are going to do so as well. I think you are going to be very surprised at how light it steers and handles. The K16GT handles really well, and makes mid corner corrections very smartly. It may take you some time to get used to the duolever front end, but I think you will come to love the absence of brake dive, and the rock solid stability of the front end.

No dismissing the tremndous value and capability of the C14, but the K16GT is on an entirely different level. Enjoy, and great color btw!

You are right on the money on your comments.  I just got back from a 130 mile ride on some back roads I have ridden hundreds of time.  It has a lot of long straight roads through cow pastures, several 90-100 mph 90 degree sweepers, and a handful of tighter curves with some switchbacks.  Without going into all the details as I don't have time right now, let me just say that the bike exceeds my expectations for it, and I hated that I had to come home (didn't take a day off work, so I have to catch up).  I can't wait to go out tomorrow and put 300+ miles on it.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline eng943

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
You are right on the money on your comments.  I just got back from a 130 mile ride on some back roads I have ridden hundreds of time.  It has a lot of long straight roads through cow pastures, several 90-100 mph 90 degree sweepers, and a handful of tighter curves with some switchbacks.  Without going into all the details as I don't have time right now, let me just say that the bike exceeds my expectations for it, and I hated that I had to come home (didn't take a day off work, so I have to catch up).  I can't wait to go out tomorrow and put 300+ miles on it.

Amazing isn't it? I could not believe how fast I could ride that bike through the corners, and the inline 6 is AMAZINGLY good. It gives smoothness a whole new meaning. My only real complaints on my K16GT was ride by wire, but I was adjusting to that.

I will most likely come back to a K16GT in a couple years after I have some fun with the C14. I'm waiting for the new adaptive suspension that BMW just put on the S1000RR HP2. I'm sure by then they will be ready to tweak the I6, as I've heard rumblings of more power via VVT.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Amazing isn't it? I could not believe how fast I could ride that bike through the corners, and the inline 6 is AMAZINGLY good. It gives smoothness a whole new meaning. My only real complaints on my K16GT was ride by wire, but I was adjusting to that.

I will most likely come back to a K16GT in a couple years after I have some fun with the C14. I'm waiting for the new adaptive suspension that BMW just put on the S1000RR HP2. I'm sure by then they will be ready to tweak the I6, as I've heard rumblings of more power via VVT.

I agree again.  The drive by wire has a very disconnected feeling.   As someone told me, just ride the bike and don't think about.  I only thought about it a few times.  My other complaint is that the seat isn't shaped worth a flip.  I actually have two factory seats for it and sooner or later I might have to have the riders part re-shaped.

BTW, Cruise control is a wonderful thing.  I did have it on my Goldwings of course, but I never felt like I was in my element on those bikes.  Cruise control on a SPORT/touring bike just seems so right.  I must have rode ten miles or more with it engaged today (and none of that was freeway riding).
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
So how does weight/top heaviness and slow speed maneuverability compare to a C14?

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »
So how does weight/top heaviness and slow speed maneuverability compare to a C14?

Once you are moving at all on the BMW - even very low speeds and even two-up, it does not feel top heavy at all.  I'm used to riding my Goldwing two-up and it has a very low center of gravity and is very easy to maneuver.  I expected the BMW to be worse but it really did not feel it.  Honestly, the BMW feels easier to maneuver at low speeds than the Concours.  You have to experience the steering of the BMW to appreciate it.  It is VERY easy to steer, which is also why it does not feel as sporty to me on the twisty roads as the Concours.

BTW, sorry I screwed up the pictures.  I created some new folders on Photo Bucket and lost the links.  I'll try to re-load them when I get time.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
Sounds like you are still digging it!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey