Author Topic: Thumbs up for Deltran and Battery Tender Plus  (Read 2232 times)

Offline stewart

Thumbs up for Deltran and Battery Tender Plus
« on: January 29, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »
I brought a Battery Tender Plus from Deltran on Amazon in 2012 and for some unknown reason it failed to work this winter when I put it on the bike. I finally got around to looking up the warranty and for a small shipping fee with proof of purchase Deltran was happy to take it back.

I just received a new BT Plus and its on the bike working its magic.

Quality customer service from Deltran!!!
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Son of Pappy

Re: Thumbs up for Deltran and Battery Tender Plus
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
Back when I only had one street bike I always thought these were for posers.  As time goes on I realized the "why" I need one, actually many.
I keep 2 quads and a side by side on the east side of the state, gets cold for long periods of time and I just don't get there as often as I would like.  I bought one of these http://www.pulsetech.net/Content/quadlink-four-channel-battery-charger-multiplier-xcql4.aspx , works flawless.  For $99 it would be hard to replicate, and only have one plug running is priceless in an as of yet unwired shed.  Went there earlier this month, no issues what so ever.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:38:59 AM »
Qustion

Why do they recommend that the battery be removed from the vehicle if left on a long maintenance charge? 

Offline stewart

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »
Qustion

Why do they recommend that the battery be removed from the vehicle if left on a long maintenance charge?

No idea, in the past I've left it on my bike over Winter...not sure if that is deemed a 'long' maintenance.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
Same here. I don't disconnect the batteries from my bikes. I will ocassionally unplug the chargers if I think about it & then plug them in a few weeks later. Don't ask me why, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:43 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I've got one BT, 3 bikes and my riding mower, and use that one BT on a rotating basis all year round.  Fortunately, all 4 are in my garage, so I don't need a Pulsetech, but always wondered why they recommend removing battery from vehicle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
Qustion

Extremely cold batteries do not accept a charge well (if at all).  Of course, they also don't lose their charge or provide energy as easily either.  Charging a "frozen" (very cold) battery can damage the battery and even be dangerous.  However, that is only at high charge rates... doesn't apply to a trickle charger like a Battery Tender.

In any case, I never remove my battery from the bike, I just hook it up to the Tender and leave it alone.  Never had any issue.  But do check the light the next day to make sure it turns green and stays green.  If it seems to stay solid red, unplug it for a dozen hours or more, then plug it back in and see if it returns to green after several more hours or the next day.  Once it is green, forget about it.

NEVER leave the battery charging for days and days on red.  The Tender should not allow that to happen, but I think it can start to occur on some batteries with questionable service life remaining.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc