Author Topic: All you retired folks speak up!!  (Read 12510 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: All you retired folks speak up!!
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 06:04:46 AM »
Does this mean you're working on your second pension?  ;)

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 06:43:59 AM »
Yep
am 61 now retired 4 years ago and never looked back. 39 years same building, same parking lot, same........

very glad I had it and VERY glad to be gone.
have bought 5 new bikes since I retired but it is time to slow down, they are just getting to high priced these days. if you can retire I highly recommend it. it's a great thing when it's always the weekend
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
I am only 56 so I don't see myself retiring for a minimum of 10 more years. By then I will be thru with my mortgage. After that I figure I will still need a new car as my truck will be about 17 years old so I also need to try and work long enough for that. Afterwards I can call it a day.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »
Thanks guys!   :)

Does this mean you're working on your second pension?  ;)

Well, I am vested in Social Security and once I reach the golden age I will be able to collect a small monthly amount. In the job that I retired from last year I didn't pay into SS and I'm collecting a nice pension from that (I was VERY lucky to be able to retire at 55). So I guess I am working on a second pension after all.

Fortunately any money that I make 'on the side' doesn't reduce the amount of my pension.  ;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 01:17:46 PM »
I am now officially semi-retired.

The village that I live in (yes, they call it a village) installed water meters last year and now that the meter system is ready to go (folks paid a flat rate before this) they needed someone to walk around town and read them. I am that someone!  :)

Not a bad gig actually. I work 2 to 4 days a month walking around town with my scanner reading the meter info and then transferring the info to the village's computer. I even have my own key to the village hall!

Wireless meters?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 04:37:28 AM »
Wireless meters?

Last year the 'wireless' meters where installed. Plumbers installed a metering device in the house and that was attached, by a wire, to a transmitter outside the house. The scan tool needs to be in very close proximity to the transmitter to pick up the reading. 

The whole system is new and I'll be working out the bugs as I go along.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 05:04:55 AM »
Why was it in the house instead of the meter/valve in the ground well?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:09 AM »
Why was it in the house instead of the meter/valve in the ground well?

My neighborhood (as well as my last neighborhood) has the meter in the house right where the water comes out of the concrete floor in the basement and is connected to a wireless transmitter sill in the house. The meter guy just drives up the driveway, never gets out of the car and goes to the next house. Seems to be about a 75' proximity.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
My neighborhood (as well as my last neighborhood) has the meter in the house right where the water comes out of the concrete floor in the basement and is connected to a wireless transmitter sill in the house. The meter guy just drives up the driveway, never gets out of the car and goes to the next house. Seems to be about a 75' proximity.

You said the B-word, you must be referring to Colorado and not Austin, right?
I sure don't remember seeing many basements in Austin, except in some commercial buildings.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 01:23:52 PM »
You said the B-word, you must be referring to Colorado and not Austin, right?
I sure don't remember seeing many basements in Austin, except in some commercial buildings.

Definitely CO. I don't own a house in TX yet, just renting an apartment.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »

This is the way it is for most folks around here. I was wondering about the range and was told that the scanner has to be close to the transmitter, almost touching. Maybe they opted for the DAK water meter system to save some money?   ;)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »
Conrad, the next time you are at the village hall, please check the records. I was watching the news from the D.C. area and quite a few villages seem to be missing their idiots. Are you sure your's is there?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 04:42:30 AM »
Conrad, the next time you are at the village hall, please check the records. I was watching the news from the D.C. area and quite a few villages seem to be missing their idiots. Are you sure your's is there?

Well, we did send one or two of them off to be big time politicians. Unfortunately there are still plenty to go around.

Case in point. [smg id=257]

That's my neighbor's fence and that's the result of him burning brush too close to it. He did this not once, not twice, but THREE times!    :o 

And this guy ran for mayor a few years ago. He didn't win...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 05:38:18 AM »
What's wrong with the fence?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2015, 05:48:28 AM »

Clearly it doesn't extend far enough to to left.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 05:54:34 AM »

I suggested burning the brush on the other side next time, maybe get the fence to melt in the other direction.   ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 06:04:51 AM »
 :thumbs: :rotflmao: