Author Topic: PSA for Direct TV users  (Read 9349 times)

Son of Pappy

PSA for Direct TV users
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
http://www.keepmynets.com/

I'll be dumping them like a hot tater.  Been with em since 2003.  Drop my speed channel and the other fox family programs??  I'll go SOA on em ;)

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
Re: PSA for Direct TV users
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:28:19 AM »
this irritates me big time. and this is what's screwed up about how dtv works:

1. as a hockey fan, i subscribe to nhl center ice.

2. if the wings are playing (the only team i'll watch), i have to do the following before attempting to record the game:
     a. check the nhl network
     b. check versus
     c. check foxsports detroit
     d. check one of the center ice channels

3. the reason is because of how the game is copyrighted or whatever. if the game i'm looking for is playing on all four channels, i will be denied access to three of the four above-listed channels! so when i see the wings are playing, i literally have to scan the channel guide to see what channels the game is on and act accordingly.

4. now here's the kicker- these nhl channels are really just the local fox channel anyhow! so am i now going to be denied access to a game if it isn't on (a) and/or (b) now?

watching hockey on the nhl channel is weak, as it's really a canadian pos channel...the audio is terrible and listening to the announcers makes me want to put ice picks in my ears! and of course, canadians envy us americans and our large, uh, manhood.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:48:17 AM »
I just sent a note to them (not that they care), but I will drop them like a hot potato and I hope they wind up like Netflix.  This is the most stupid thing they can do.  Heck, charge me extra, I don't care but I don't want to lose Speed and FX....  F em.

I just called customer support to complain and the overseas gentlemen assured me it was a rumour and that it wasn't going to happen.  This is somewhat strange as I just put my zip code into their website and it said, in fact, those channels would disappear.  He changed his tune somewhat after I reminded him of that.  It was all I could do to stay semi-stable on the phone.

I have cable here and will go to them in a heartbeat if they drop those channels.  F em again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:03:38 AM »
WTF!!!

I've been a Direct TV subscriber for over 10 years and this is the first that I've heard of this. If I lose FX I'll be making a change, some of my fav shows are on that network.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:10:18 AM »
Call em and complain.  Make those customer service people work on their English some more.  Now I'm going to have to find some way to tell my wife that she won't be watching SOA for awhile.  I'm so mad I could start drinking now.

Alternatives to these A**W***S?

Dish, your local cable company, anyway to get the episodes via the web?

1-800-531-5000

Update:  Just told the wife.....she's pi***d as well.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:58:25 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:30:01 AM »
Call em and complain.  Make those customer service people work on their English some more.  Now I'm going to have to find some way to tell my wife that she won't be watching SOA for awhile.  I'm so mad I could start drinking now.

Alternatives to these A**W***S?

Dish, your local cable company, anyway to get the episodes via the web?

1-800-531-5000

I just called that number Jim and spoke with a nice English speaking woman named Veronica. I told her flat out that if I lose FX that I'll be losing Direct TV. She said that they've been getting a lot of calls saying the same thing. She directed me to this website, http://www.ourpromisetoyou.com/

She asked if there was anything else that she could do for me, I asked her if there were any free offers that I'm eligible for. She looked and I now have Showtime free for two months.

I've been with Direct TV since 2000.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 07:36:54 AM »
We had DirecTV for years and were paying extra for "premium" service calls because we'd had several problems. Well, we were having some roof repairs done, called them to move the dish and they said "3 weeks to get a worker out." We go, "but we have the extra cost premium service". They go: "3 weeks."

I had the roofer rip out the dish. Went to cable that day and won't be back. Ripoff company.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »
I may also lose my local CBS afilliate. This happens all the time with all the subscriber based providers. I fwe do lose those outlets and/or prices go up, adios, DirecTV. Been with them for well over 10 years. Screw 'em.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
I just called that number Jim and spoke with a nice English speaking woman named Veronica. I told her flat out that if I lose FX that I'll be losing Direct TV. She said that they've been getting a lot of calls saying the same thing. She directed me to this website, http://www.ourpromisetoyou.com/

She asked if there was anything else that she could do for me, I asked her if there were any free offers that I'm eligible for. She looked and I now have Showtime free for two months.

I've been with Direct TV since 2000.

That promise is nothing more than explaining the situation and that we will be losing those channels.  We promise we'll dump those channels.   My promise to them.  If they do, they're gone.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:01:46 AM »
That promise is nothing more than explaining the situation and that we will be losing those channels.  We promise we'll dump those channels.   My promise to them.  If they do, they're gone.

That's what I told her too. I said thanks for the free Showtime but if FX goes so do we.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »
Any feedback on Dish?  They have FX and Speed in HD and also BBCA in HD which Directv doesn't.  Their packages appear to be a little less expensive as well on the surface.  I may call them for a quote and see how it compares to what I have now.  BBCA may be the tipping point for me.  It is, of course, one of my favorite channels.  The only downside is that I have to record the programs off the DVR first.

FX and Speed for the masses....  V for Vendetta!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »
My son has Dish and likes it.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »
i have not heard any kind things about dish.

now while i am not happy about this (a big understatement), we have to realize that dtv's threat to shut-off channels happens all the time...what usually ends up happening is that everyone comes to their senses and things go on as before. still, we have to keep up the pressure.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 12:00:47 PM »
I had just upgraded to the whole home system, new 24 month contract, found out whole home in their eyes is 2 rooms, installer told me I would need to drop another $99 to get a third HD receiver.  After an hour on the phone (even told one of the folks she was on crack) I was finnaly told I would get a "free" HD receiver.  I will eat the cost if on the 1st my Speed channel is gone, I have decided I will go with Wave cable and a bundled package, boost in net speed as I only have DSL.  I have never heard any good things from Dish owners, but no personal experience. 

Hey Jim, whadaya trying to do, get a mod to move this to the Arena ???

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »
I had just upgraded to the whole home system, new 24 month contract, found out whole home in their eyes is 2 rooms, installer told me I would need to drop another $99 to get a third HD receiver.  After an hour on the phone (even told one of the folks she was on crack) I was finnaly told I would get a "free" HD receiver.  I will eat the cost if on the 1st my Speed channel is gone, I have decided I will go with Wave cable and a bundled package, boost in net speed as I only have DSL.  I have never heard any good things from Dish owners, but no personal experience. 

i hear you about the crap requirements of 'whole house' dvr! i have 4 dvr's in the house- 2 sd, 2 hd. before whole house became a paid service, it was a free beta and it worked pretty nicely.

something else that fry's my butt about dtv and its dvr's- they have the capability to connect to an external hdd for more storage, but what they don't tell you is that the new drive replaces the internal drive, meaning whatever you had on the internal drive is no longer accessible! what the F is that all about!?! and what's worse- they don't even guarantee that a drive will work or not!

about the only thing one can do is to remove the standard drive and hack in a new one. not sure about what can be done about the content on the standard drive.

as far as cable goes, i think comcast is the only one in my area and in no way shape or form will i go with them.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »

Possibly but everyone is agreeing with each other.  Don't see much antagonism except to DTV and they ain't members.  They may come to an agreement at the last minute or within a day or two, maybe but I have to be prepared.  What has happened is that it's given me time to think about what I have and should I continue.  I don't have any contractual things with them, I think, so I can cut them loose without any strings.  It will give me time to research Dish and their forums.  Course, their forums are like ours in that the sentiment about their products can be a bit hyper at times.  I have a lot of trees around me so I have to be certain I can reach the sats.  They can't be pointing any lower in the sky than what I have now otherwise it will be cable for me.  I'm going to look at them as well.  What I do like is BBCA is offered as an HD channel where DTV doesn't do that.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »
I had Dish for 10 years and  loved it.  We went without any TV for about 18 months - no big deal.  Then I wanted to watch World Cup Soccer last year so I brought Dish back with a two year contract.  I regretted it before the first month was over.  Installer said he'd be back to complete the install a couple of days later.  He never came back.  Dish made me pay a service call to get the installation completed.  The Box that gave me goes on the fritz regularly.  When I called them, they wanted to know what the tv was showing when the box fritzes out.  I told them I get snow because the TV loses the signal from the Box.  The don't believe me.  In July the contract is up and they're gone.  Without exception, Dish has treated worse than I've ever been treated by a vendor.   With Direct TV and Time Warner being just as bad, I'll get rid of my television because there nothing on that I need to see badly enough to be treated as poorly as television vendors treat their customers.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 05:06:33 AM »
i hear you about the crap requirements of 'whole house' dvr! i have 4 dvr's in the house- 2 sd, 2 hd. before whole house became a paid service, it was a free beta and it worked pretty nicely.

something else that fry's my butt about dtv and its dvr's- they have the capability to connect to an external hdd for more storage, but what they don't tell you is that the new drive replaces the internal drive, meaning whatever you had on the internal drive is no longer accessible! what the F is that all about!?! and what's worse- they don't even guarantee that a drive will work or not!
about the only thing one can do is to remove the standard drive and hack in a new one. not sure about what can be done about the content on the standard drive.

as far as cable goes, i think comcast is the only one in my area and in no way shape or form will i go with them.

The last time I had a Dtv installer in my house, he brought a new DVR, he told me that if I wanted to hook up an external storage device to do it right away, before I recorded anything and it would work fine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 05:25:45 AM »
Nothing goes away when you add external storage.  Your videos stored there remain on the disk.  You just can't access them anymore, at least until you disconnect the external disk.  I don't understand why this is as the OS is Linux on the DVR.  It's one of those things not high on their priority list or it's by design.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
@ Conrad: mine didn't tell me that, though he was helpful overall.

@ VJ: i understand that the programming recorded on the internal drive is still there, but it may as well be 'gone' for all intents and purposes...i think one has to do a hard reset in order for the system to kick on over to the other drive. i believe this is all by effin' design by DTV because the way satellite tv works in europe is much different (as in they make cards for your pc so that you can build your own htpc/dvr for satellite programming...something you can't do here).